Out of Town Strategy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Out of Town Strategy

I'll be out in the field for the next week on a river survey. Luckily I have an understanding S/O who will text me a full tank shot, and close up of the co2 indicator and thermometer every day.

I've also been the one to do water changes for buddies while they're away.

What are everyone else's strategies for Maintenance while away? Who's your go-to tank sitter? What do you have them check? Do you check back in periodically?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr1rodeoclown View Post
I'll be out in the field for the next week on a river survey. Luckily I have an understanding S/O who will text me a full tank shot, and close up of the co2 indicator and thermometer every day.

I've also been the one to do water changes for buddies while they're away.

What are everyone else's strategies for Maintenance while away? Who's your go-to tank sitter? What do you have them check? Do you check back in periodically?
Eheim Automatic Fish Feeders ( tape the door in place so it does not fly open!!!!)

Tunze auto topoff system.

Digital timer for the lights.

That is what I do but up until now, I have only had a single goldfish.

Never tried it on my newer aquariums.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's for a week I usually let the tank run by itself, granted it's low tech, but I just leave the fish alone. Feed regularly before I leave, and feed regularly when I return, same with ferts and water changes, about 10 days is the most I'll go, then my cherry shrimp population starts to decline from predation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Auto feeders, light timers, auto top off. I can and do leave my tank alone for 30 days without anyone touching it. It is a relatively large low tech tank, which makes it easier.

DIY Enthusiast

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Feed well before you leave. Do a water change several days before you leave (not the day before, in case there are issues). Lights on auto.

No one feeds or touches tank for the week you're gone. Fish will be fine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 06:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
If it's for a week I usually let the tank run by itself, granted it's low tech, but I just leave the fish alone. Feed regularly before I leave, and feed regularly when I return, same with ferts and water changes, about 10 days is the most I'll go, then my cherry shrimp population starts to decline from predation.
Dude, you can get a Petco automatic feeder for like $12 on a sale.

No need for the hunger games here.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
If you do use an automatic feeder, put it to use BEFORE you take off. I did, and decided my young angels were better off doing without than being overfed too regularly. Nothing like losing a fish to a feeder doing its job too well.

Otherwise, just make sure the water is clean, feed before you leave, and leave alone.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG View Post
If you do use an automatic feeder, put it to use BEFORE you take off. I did, and decided my young angels were better off doing without than being overfed too regularly. Nothing like losing a fish to a feeder doing its job too well.

Otherwise, just make sure the water is clean, feed before you leave, and leave alone.

This is good advise. No food is better than over feeding.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What about your strategy for fert? I have similar dilemma and concerned if the pickier plants will melt w/o liquid fert supplement over 2 wks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode