Help identify new life form in my tank, little white darting microscopic creature. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help identify new life form in my tank, little white darting microscopic creature.

Hello.

I need some help identifying what is in my Aquarium.

There is something so small that you can't even see it unless you really look hard and press your face to the glass and focus on one point until you see a little thing darting around. Its look like just a partial of dust, its white and maybe translucent. Its floating around and darting all over the place.

I am not sure if its the babies of any type of animal in my tank.

I have a single, Otto(don't bread in captivity), 1 white cloud fish, 18 neon tetras, 4 cory catfish and tons of random snails, red cherry shrimp.

I also recently introduced some Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Plant-Shrimp-Stratum-17-6-Pound/dp/B00JMA9S52
Which is when I first started to notice this white partials flying around. So perhaps some kind of creature may of hitched a ride. I did rinse it out with tap water but maybe something like a brine shrimp survived on this substrate and was introduced into the aquarium.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
While I can't guess without seeing and that is not going to happen, I can say one thing that I'm pretty sure of without looking. It is fish food! Any plans for fish? I would go with assuming most any fish will eat your problem and it is not likely to be a hazard to any fish. Not a very specific answer but the best I've got. I have had lots of small little worms, etc. show at times and they all have disappeared once the fish found them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
While I can't guess without seeing and that is not going to happen, I can say one thing that I'm pretty sure of without looking. It is fish food! Any plans for fish? I would go with assuming most any fish will eat your problem and it is not likely to be a hazard to any fish. Not a very specific answer but the best I've got. I have had lots of small little worms, etc. show at times and they all have disappeared once the fish found them.
One odd thing is that it does not swim but rather appears to swim in short bursts only.

Its almost like its taking in water and shooting it out like a jet in intervals to propel itself forward.

It almost acts like a micro squid.

The shrimp might do this one in a while as a defense mechanism but these things seem to do it as their may way of moving.

Also, I had some in my beta tank apparently from a bag of substrate I took out of my main aquarium to jump start the nitrogen cycle and now I don't see any. So it appears the beta has taken your advice on the food

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm certainly no expert on all the thousands of micro stuff that may show up, I just let the fish decide who lives and who is food! Works for them , it sure works for me. When I pull and rearrange plants, there are lots of tiny, tiny white worms who look like they swim like snakes and the fish just go crazy hunting them down once I get out of the tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedrich View Post
i'm certainly no expert on all the thousands of micro stuff that may show up, i just let the fish decide who lives and who is food! Works for them , it sure works for me. When i pull and rearrange plants, there are lots of tiny, tiny white worms who look like they swim like snakes and the fish just go crazy hunting them down once i get out of the tank.
you fish are playing God!!! Deciding who lives and who dies!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
you fish are playing God!!! Deciding who lives and who dies!!!!
Yes! It's a pretty common thing once we think about it. Reach in the frig for pork chops or steak? As far as I can tell, God doesn't care much one way or the other.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

Sounds to me like maybe it's a copepod.

If so, it's a small harmless freshwater critter. No cause for alarm.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
I second Jendigo's diagnosis. Copepods are very small and are a natural food source for fish.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode