Question about Finnex and Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about Finnex and Co2

I have a 40 gallon breeder with a Finnex planted+ 24/7 light. I am currently dosing with a Fluval co2 regulator and ceramic disk, I am not using this for long. I am getting the aquatek co2 regulator mini in a week and am wondering what schedule u need to put the co2 on for the light. I want it running on the 24/7 mode. I am confused as to when I should run co2 because the light is on 24/7 and I don't want to overdose co2 when it's not being used efficienctly by the plants thru photosynthesis. Anybody with the same setup or knowledge of the setup, advise would be greatly appreciated as I am fairly new to the hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would imagine you could look up the 24/7 mode spectrums and set up the co2 so it runs during the 8hr or so peak. Oooorr spend $100 on a ph controller and call it a day lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

Mattinmd did a really good review on the 24/7 that covers the par values at various times during the day. From my recollection, the par starts to ramp up at 9am and peaks at 12pm-3pm (the highest par at 3pm) then drops down to low values again at 6pm.

My tank is pretty tall so the medium-lower intensities of the 24/7 cycle don't effect much. If I were you I would start by having the CO2 go on at 9am and turn off at 5pm. Although the par starts rising at 9am it takes 3 hours to get to the high range which is more than enough time for CO2 levels to rise to an adequate level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Algae Grower

I have a 65 gal. tank with the 24/7 light, and love it on the 24 hr. cycle. However, it seems that the light has difficulty penetrating the depth of the tank for good aquatic growth. I had a 24 inch led left over from an old 29 gal. tank, and use it in conjunction with the 24/7. Since I have a glass top, the 24/7 goes over the back half of the cover, and the 24 inch goes over the front half. I can adjust the "supplemental" light of the 24 inch led with a timer, giving me freedom of adjustment + 24/7 light. With this system, I'm going to Co2 injection for more plant growth.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Be aware of the fact that the visible spectrum of light is only a small portion of what your light is sending out. Just because your eyes do not perceive it as being bright does not mean that the plants are lacking the wavelengths they need to grow.

I have 2 bulbs in my fixture, a daylight bulb that is very bright and a grow bulb which is less bright and reddish in color. The grow bulb by itself works better for plant growth but is not very bright to look at. The daylight bulb is very bright to look at but does not grow plants quite as well.

Looks are deceiving sometimes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I run CO2 from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM with a 24/7, and a Fluval Aquasky LED. The Aquasky runs from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode