Powerful lights required if no Co2 injection? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By essabee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Powerful lights required if no Co2 injection?

Are Powerful lights required if no Co2 injection in present?

I was considering either getting about a, 72 watt, 100 watt LED light or a 192 watt LED light for my new 75 gallon project however I never inject C02 into the tank.

I also wanted to get a mix array of community fish including some ones that hang out on the surface and did not want to fry or blind them.

Since I am not doing any C02 injection, would I be better off with the 72watt or 100 watt vs the big 192 watt light?

These are LED light so the equivalent non-led light may be 4 times as many watts.

For example, a 100 watt LED may be the same as a 400 or 500 watt non-led.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ead-watts.html
If you read that thread introduction down to where the charts are it lets you know that
you need injected CO2 with light over about 45-50 PAR and lower if you have few plants.
If you gave a brand and model someone on here may be able to tell you if that light
would be a good one for that tank. For example a 48" Finnex Fugeray.
Like I could tell you that a Finnex RayII would be too much without injected CO2.
But just going by Watts is very hard to say if it's too much or not.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ead-watts.html
If you read that thread introduction down to where the charts are it lets you know that
you need injected CO2 with light over about 45-50 PAR and lower if you have few plants.
If you gave a brand and model someone on here may be able to tell you if that light
would be a good one for that tank. For example a 48" Finnex Fugeray.
Like I could tell you that a Finnex RayII would be too much without injected CO2.
But just going by Watts is very hard to say if it's too much or not.
I usually buy on Ebay from topdogsellers and the brands I think are chinease and go by the names, EVO, Beamworks, Snake eyes, Odessa,etc..

I have no CO2 injection.

Thanks.

P.S. I tried to post a link but it said " EBAY LINK removed" I guess the forum administrators don't like Ebay or something?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-15-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: No eBay links

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

The answer is keep your lights low if you are not ready to supplement CO2.

Its simple really; tropical aquarium plants need about 10-14 hours of light and while they have light they will consume CO2 and continue their photosynthesis and the aquarium water must supply this CO2 for the plant to remain healthy. In the natural world in the water-bodies that aquatic plants thrive; the CO2 that they use does not get depleted - in shallow marshy areas the CO2 from the highly organic substrates supplements that in the water while in deeper water-bodies the tons of water over the plantless deep areas contains large amounts of CO2 for the plants along the shallows to draw from - but our small tanks neither generate CO2 nor has any bank of CO2 rich water to supply the plants.

As the rate of CO2 consumption is directly proportional to the intensity of light; the stronger your lights are - more quickly will the CO2 available in the tank be depleted. You could reduce the period of light but that will lead to the unnatural elongation of all stem plants and uncompact whorl plants. If you don't reduce the light period it will allow the algae to thrive as they have larger resources for their carbon requirement.
Jirajustin and Jirajustin like this.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Algae Grower

I totally adhere to his point... this is very important.... there is this rule in planted aquarium.... called rule of the minimum or something....

Plant will need everything to grow..... everything is always present in the water... just in smaller quantity.... there is no 0% of anything... so the plant will eventually try growing in any worst of conditions.... or the best of conditions......

So the limiting factor according to the rule of minimum is this.... the one that is most scarce that is in lots of demand will limit the plant growth.... the order is mostly this

Light > co2 > macro > micro > trace

take the first two alone... for now... coz the rest is always found atleast in smallest of quantity... these first two are the ones that will determine the survival of the plants... others will just determine health vs unhealthy ecosystem..... and mainly the growth.... so to the light and co2...

More light more co2 is consumed..... coz ease of photosythesis... this is not a scientific statement by the way... but stands true to an extent for kick starting your experience with planted aquarium... once you get more deep...science will help you understand more....

if your tank is small... try atleast injecting co2 in the format of tablets or liquid Co2.... even for bigger tanks liquid co2 will work as a charm... as it is easily consumed by plants.....

the cheapest method is using metricide and diluting it... google metricide in planted aquarium... and have some fun.... its cheaper than flourish excel..

also ... having excess light is always good.... just play around with the time of use per day.... to control algae growth.... also plant full...to avoid algae...

The most important of all thing you can do is.... be freaking patient as a tree ent..... coz its a process... not a project.... if you start enjoying the rewards for being patient... thats where this hobby gets soooo freaking awesome....

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
The answer is keep your lights low if you are not ready to supplement CO2.

Its simple really; tropical aquarium plants need about 10-14 hours of light and while they have light they will consume CO2 and continue their photosynthesis and the aquarium water must supply this CO2 for the plant to remain healthy. In the natural world in the water-bodies that aquatic plants thrive; the CO2 that they use does not get depleted - in shallow marshy areas the CO2 from the highly organic substrates supplements that in the water while in deeper water-bodies the tons of water over the plantless deep areas contains large amounts of CO2 for the plants along the shallows to draw from - but our small tanks neither generate CO2 nor has any bank of CO2 rich water to supply the plants.

As the rate of CO2 consumption is directly proportional to the intensity of light; the stronger your lights are - more quickly will the CO2 available in the tank be depleted. You could reduce the period of light but that will lead to the unnatural elongation of all stem plants and uncompact whorl plants. If you don't reduce the light period it will allow the algae to thrive as they have larger resources for their carbon requirement.

Hey Guys so new to the hobby. So excited to be here.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'm thinking the one/w 96W will be enough. You might wish to see if they have a hanging kit for it in case you need to raise it. There is the possibility it may be too strong.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I'm thinking the one/w 96W will be enough. You might wish to see if they have a hanging kit for it in case you need to raise it. There is the possibility it may be too strong.
I believe the various lights usually have an option to run 50% of the lights if you need to.

Are you saying that the 96 watt may be too strong? If so, I may have the option of switching to 48 or 96 watts since I believe this model has a 50% light on switch.

Thanks.

Last edited by miogpsrocks; 11-14-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: adding information
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:33 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
P.S. I tried to post a link but it said " EBAY LINK removed" I guess the forum administrators don't like Ebay or something?
As per the forum rules, eBay and other type of auction links are not permitted.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
As per the forum rules, eBay and other type of auction links are not permitted.
The guy asked me for more information on the type of light I was considering so he could advise me if it was the correct light for my situation.

So just to clarify, a link to a product on Amazon.com would be ok but a link to a product on Ebay is not ok because its an auction?

Does it matter that the item was not actually an auction but rather a buy-it-now which acts more like an online store such as amazon.com?

There was no bidding or auction involved, the guy had like 200 item for sale and you could buy them at his buy-it-now price.

Seem kind of like splitting hairs here.

Thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
The guy asked me for more information on the type of light I was considering so he could advise me if it was the correct light for my situation.

So just to clarify, a link to a product on Amazon.com would be ok but a link to a product on Ebay is not ok because its an auction?

Does it matter that the item was not actually an auction but rather a buy-it-now which acts more like an online store such as amazon.com?

There was no bidding or auction involved, the guy had like 200 item for sale and you could buy them at his buy-it-now price.

Seem kind of like splitting hairs here.

Thanks
Them's the rules. In some circumstances, it doesn't make sense, but still applies. To circumvent, you can provide the item number for people to look it up themselves. If you check the address bar, you'll see a 12-digit number. Copy and paste.

And yes, Amazon or any other online or brick-and-mortar retailer links are fine.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:23 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:

Links to Amazon would be fine, because they are a(n) (large, commercial) entity, whereas eBay links are usually to smaller, individual sellers. There was some abuse in the past, so eBay links and other auction type links are not permitted now.

This also includes Buy-it-now type links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
To circumvent, you can provide the item number for people to look it up themselves. If you check the address bar, you'll see a 12-digit number. Copy and paste.
Actually, eBay items are not permitted. Item numbers will also be removed by the moderation team.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode