Moving fish from one tank to another - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving fish from one tank to another

I've got multiple tanks all with the same parameters so if I were to move fish from one to another can I simply net the fish from one to another or is it still necessary to do some type of acclimation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hello Cat...

I keep multiple tanks too and I maintain them the same way. I've moved fish multiple times with no trouble. I do use a fairly large net, so I typically net the fish the first time. This way, there's minimal stress and no injury to the fish.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I maintain multiple tanks as well, but I use Marina boxes to acclimate fish between tanks. In the case of a single or oddball fish, I'll take the chance. But with a whole batch of fish, I use one of the large boxes. They make the job really easy for me and the fish. Overly cautious? Probably. But if it's not costing me anything, why not?

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I move fish from one to another with no acclimation, as long as TDS and temperature are the same, or very close.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

i just move them straight away without acclimatizing

most of my tanks have very similar parameters and setup
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I moved over my 12 sterbai corys this morning within 5 minutes. I will keep a close eye on them
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I raise angels. Thus I am netting and moving all the time....big net, move quick. I sometimes feel bad that I will scoop up 20-30 in the big net and haul them to the tanks in the other room....they flip flop on each other...can't be fun for them

so far I have not lost a fish...even when they have flipped out onto the carpet...

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Can be done either way, whether transfer right away or drip acclimate them again before adding..

If parameters match up fairly close, I think it's less stressful to add them right away, so you aren't catching and releasing them twice (net to drip container, container to tank).
But if parameters aren't exactly close, or going from non-co2 to injected co2, then I would drip acclimate to be on the safe side.

For a extra precaution, you can turn the lights off for a while to have the new fish feel safer in the dark until they learn that their new environment is safe.

I do, do what Bushkill does as well as far as the group being drip acclimated and single fish straight over. I do have medium size Marina hang on breeders, but I don't acclimate in them, I just use a bucket for now. Haven't really thought through which is more stressful, having the stressed fish in a dark bucket acclimating then transferring into a new tank that have never seen before, or acclimating in the clear breeder getting to see into the tank and becoming somewhat acquainted with the surroundings/inhabitants before being released, but then again they might feel more stressed being in a clear confined box which no where to really escape/hide from the other visible fish (unless the breeder is planted I guess). Just haven't dawned on it much which would be less stressful to make up my mind yet. I guess it depends on the fish species though (in tank and in container/bucket).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode