Glass top doesn't work with new filter pipes - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By milbran220

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass top doesn't work with new filter pipes

I got new pretty glass lilly filter outtake and glass intake pipes for my cannister filter. For asthetic and accessibility reasons, I have placed these on the short right end of my 55 gallon aquarium. The downside is that my regular glass hinged top isn't very accommodating. I was thinking I might be able to get the glass cut somewhere to give an allowance on the side for the pipes? (I live in Milwaukee, WI)

Is there a easier/quicker/better solution?

I must have lids... we have cats and even though I don't think they would mess with the tank, my boyfriend insists on lids for our tanks.

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can get the glass cut. Ace, True Value, Home Depot, etc. will often do it. Call and ask.

Frame shops, or craft stores that do framing, will do it too.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:46 PM
drx
Algae Grower

ace might do it for you. home depo doesn't cut glass lowes does but only straight vertical or horizontal cuts. as long as the pipe is going in a corner you can use a cheep glass cutter and do a diagonal cut. cutting peninsula cut in glass(u shape) is a speaclity thing and would need a specialty glass shop to do it. look up glass cutters / shower installers / stained glass as these people have the tools to do it. wont be cheep. Just got done going thought this for my 75g its a 3 sided view tank and wanted spray bar on the short side.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by drx View Post
ace might do it for you. home depo doesn't cut glass lowes does but only straight vertical or horizontal cuts. as long as the pipe is going in a corner you can use a cheep glass cutter and do a diagonal cut. cutting peninsula cut in glass(u shape) is a speaclity thing and would need a specialty glass shop to do it. look up glass cutters / shower installers / stained glass as these people have the tools to do it. wont be cheep. Just got done going thought this for my 75g its a 3 sided view tank and wanted spray bar on the short side.
Thank you, I'm thinking I might not need a U cut if I just cut one half (it's hinged) down by an inch or two.... then reattach plastic piece for stability, thus making a "u" shape using the non cut piece + hinge + opening + full plastic piece in back.

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Places like local hardware stores will be your best bet. This most likely is a versa-top that as you describe and only needs a small portion of the end of one panel shortened. As others have mentioned already, the box stores won't touch this.

Not to create any sense of concern here, but keep in mind that the end of that panel no longer rests on the tank's rim. So that, if it's your cat you're concerned about, the top of the "U" you created will lose some stability and ability to support the kitty's weight. You can create this without cutting the panel to see what I'm envisioning. Just pull the rear panel back in the hinge so that they no longer align, the just put it back in place and test the stability of the end you want to cut down by just pushing down gently. I can't think of an easy fix to this off the top of my head.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Is this just the regular glass top with rubber hinge in the middle? I just took the rubber off and had my pipes in the middle opening that created and left the glass panels free sitting on the top when I had a tank with a lid.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Places like local hardware stores will be your best bet. This most likely is a versa-top that as you describe and only needs a small portion of the end of one panel shortened. As others have mentioned already, the box stores won't touch this.

Not to create any sense of concern here, but keep in mind that the end of that panel no longer rests on the tank's rim. So that, if it's your cat you're concerned about, the top of the "U" you created will lose some stability and ability to support the kitty's weight. You can create this without cutting the panel to see what I'm envisioning. Just pull the rear panel back in the hinge so that they no longer align, the just put it back in place and test the stability of the end you want to cut down by just pushing down gently. I can't think of an easy fix to this off the top of my head.
I highly doubt the cats will even try to get on top of the tank. The stand has no lip, and there isn't a table next to it so they'd have to be super motivated and jump from the couch... I don't think they will do that, they are just not that interested.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Is this just the regular glass top with rubber hinge in the middle? I just took the rubber off and had my pipes in the middle opening that created and left the glass panels free sitting on the top when I had a tank with a lid.
I don't know if the space will be wide enough. I have both pipes (intake and outtake) on the same end of the tank.

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you have a power drill, a glass cutting hole saw will do the job. It is around 12$ online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
If you have a power drill, a glass cutting hole saw will do the job. It is around 12$ online.
If tempered glass was used to make the top it is likely to shatter when drilled.

http://smile.amazon.com/Perfecto-Manufacturing-APF33480-Aquarium-48-Inch/dp/B006OOODAO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1447353200&sr=1-1&keywords=glass+top+for+55+gallon+aquarium have a vinyl strip at the back that can be cut to fit pipes or filters with a coping saw.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
If tempered glass was used to make the top it is likely to shatter when drilled.

Some glass tops have a vinyl strip at the back that can be cut to fit pipes or filters with a coping saw.
Oops Sorry for the wrong info. Make sure that the top is not tempered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thank you... I did exactly this. Great mostly permanent solution. I might still check out getting something custom cut to have full coverage but for now I am super happy with this solution!
bsantucci and bsantucci like this.

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milbran220 View Post
Thank you... I did exactly this. Great mostly permanent solution. I might still check out getting something custom cut to have full coverage but for now I am super happy with this solution!
Glad it worked out! My custom solution after was a rimless tank 😁

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Glad it worked out! My custom solution after was a rimless tank 😁

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I wish!

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode