10g advice - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 19
10g advice

Hi there, new to planted tanks but not fishkeeping.

Wanted to run my plan by you guys on here and ask a couple questions. The tank will be a low tech, 10 gallon betta tank.

-The substrate will be 1-2 inches of eco complete (is this necessary for the plants I would likely be using?) and 1 in of sand on top.
-What plants would you recommend? I know java fern and moss are great beginner plants, but what else would work in this low tech system? I've read recommendations online before but I fear a lot of them would take up too much space in the tank, so I wanted to ask specifically for a 10g.
-I'd also like to have some sort of 'carpet' over parts of the tank bottom, what plant would you recommend for this?
-I don't want to use CO2 but I have read that throwing some fertilizer in there is beneficial. If so, which types would best fit my tank?

-Lastly, this is a little unrelated but I have a beautiful 55 gallon brackish tank but have always been afraid to put plants in it. Are there any plants able to survive in 1.010-1.015?
GallonsOfFun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Algae Grower
 
TheGreenWizard's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New York City
Posts: 103
Hey there and welcome to the forums!

For the brackish tank, I would suggest a species of the macroalgae, Chara. It looks like a plant, but is really one big algae - it won't take over the tank, and it looks pretty cool if I do say so myself:

Chara Species - Aquarium Pictures

For a ten gallon tank, I would recommend any kind of Crypt really - especially for a beginner. Also, what kind of lighting to you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallonsOfFun View Post
Hi there, new to planted tanks but not fishkeeping.

Wanted to run my plan by you guys on here and ask a couple questions. The tank will be a low tech, 10 gallon betta tank.

-The substrate will be 1-2 inches of eco complete (is this necessary for the plants I would likely be using?) and 1 in of sand on top.
-What plants would you recommend? I know java fern and moss are great beginner plants, but what else would work in this low tech system? I've read recommendations online before but I fear a lot of them would take up too much space in the tank, so I wanted to ask specifically for a 10g.
-I'd also like to have some sort of 'carpet' over parts of the tank bottom, what plant would you recommend for this?
-I don't want to use CO2 but I have read that throwing some fertilizer in there is beneficial. If so, which types would best fit my tank?

-Lastly, this is a little unrelated but I have a beautiful 55 gallon brackish tank but have always been afraid to put plants in it. Are there any plants able to survive in 1.010-1.015?

"Personally, I would be delighted if there was a life after death, especially if it permitted me to continue to learn about this world and others, if it gave me a chance to discover how history turns out." ~Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"I can't tell you how many people say they were turned off from science because of a science teacher that completely sucked out all the inspiration and enthusiasm they had for the course." ~Neil deGrasse Tyson.
TheGreenWizard is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Planted Member
 
Timmy!!'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 166
I believe java fern will grow in brackish. Not positive though

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Timmy!! is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: down under
Posts: 3
Anubias is a great beginners plant slow growing but easy to care for just tie it to a rock or driftwood with cotton string also i have heard that java fern can live in brackish water.
aqua_plants is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 19
Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the info.

-Would only that macroalgae work or would any type work?
-Is the eco complete substrate necessary for the plants you suggested? (obviously not for the ones that are attached to driftwood/rock)

Oh, and as for lighting, I don't know yet. The aquarium will have to have a hood on it (bettas jump) and I'd prefer to get a hood/light combo which I understand limits my options but I'd like to keep the price down. I've also read that upping your wattage without upping CO2 is a recipe for disaster, is this true?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-13-2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
GallonsOfFun is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Raymond S.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hot Springs Ar. 71901
Posts: 5,934
Eco is an inert substrate. Water column ferts will get to the Anubias as well as plants
that are in the sub. Windelov java fern doesn't get very large.
Lace java fern, Windelov java fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov')
I have 10g tanks and it's noticeably hard to find plants which aren't going to get too
large for them. There is W. Java Fern and Crypt Petchii in this one. Java moss on back wall. Fissidens F. on the wall on the right. Marsilea Minuto bottom right. And a native
"collected" DHG center back and left. And Rotala Magenta. My tank "style" is a bit
different than most. Works for me though. Just showing the sizes of these plants and
how they "fit" the 10g tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../pg_12314e.jpg

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Raymond S. is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Argus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallonsOfFun View Post
Hi there, new to planted tanks but not fishkeeping.

Wanted to run my plan by you guys on here and ask a couple questions. The tank will be a low tech, 10 gallon betta tank.

-The substrate will be 1-2 inches of eco complete (is this necessary for the plants I would likely be using?) and 1 in of sand on top.
-What plants would you recommend? I know java fern and moss are great beginner plants, but what else would work in this low tech system? I've read recommendations online before but I fear a lot of them would take up too much space in the tank, so I wanted to ask specifically for a 10g.
-I'd also like to have some sort of 'carpet' over parts of the tank bottom, what plant would you recommend for this?
-I don't want to use CO2 but I have read that throwing some fertilizer in there is beneficial. If so, which types would best fit my tank?

-Lastly, this is a little unrelated but I have a beautiful 55 gallon brackish tank but have always been afraid to put plants in it. Are there any plants able to survive in 1.010-1.015?
I used Eco-Complete topped with Peace River gravel (1-2mm dia. grains) in a 30g tank and just Peace River in a 10g. The plants grow equally well in both. I'm sorry I used Eco in the 30g because it comes up to the surface when things are distured (moving or removing plants) and creates a mess.

From the reading I've done on substrates, a grain dia. of 1-2mm is ideal. Larger and there can be too much water circulation around plant roots and food gets trapped where corys can't reach it. Smaller grains and the roots don't get enough oxygen.

Eco is supposed to absorb and hold nutrients, releasing them as needed. I found I still needed to use fertilizer tabs in the soil to keep Cryptocorynes from putting roots up into the water in search of nutrients.

So, I would go with a decent gravel and use root tabs. Forget about Eco.

Cryptocoryne wendtii, Cryptocoryne spiralis, Anubias hastifolia, and Anubias nana petite, have proved to be hardy and tolerant of different light levels.

I don't have a carpet plant. From what I've read, they require a lot of light which is hard to maintain in a low-tech tank.
Argus is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Eco is an inert substrate. Water column ferts will get to the Anubias as well as plants
that are in the sub. Windelov java fern doesn't get very large.
Lace java fern, Windelov java fern (Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov')
I have 10g tanks and it's noticeably hard to find plants which aren't going to get too
large for them. There is W. Java Fern and Crypt Petchii in this one. Java moss on back wall. Fissidens F. on the wall on the right. Marsilea Minuto bottom right. And a native
"collected" DHG center back and left. And Rotala Magenta. My tank "style" is a bit
different than most. Works for me though. Just showing the sizes of these plants and
how they "fit" the 10g tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../pg_12314e.jpg
Very nice tank! How did you get java moss to line the back wall like that?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
I used Eco-Complete topped with Peace River gravel (1-2mm dia. grains) in a 30g tank and just Peace River in a 10g. The plants grow equally well in both. I'm sorry I used Eco in the 30g because it comes up to the surface when things are distured (moving or removing plants) and creates a mess.

From the reading I've done on substrates, a grain dia. of 1-2mm is ideal. Larger and there can be too much water circulation around plant roots and food gets trapped where corys can't reach it. Smaller grains and the roots don't get enough oxygen.

Eco is supposed to absorb and hold nutrients, releasing them as needed. I found I still needed to use fertilizer tabs in the soil to keep Cryptocorynes from putting roots up into the water in search of nutrients.

So, I would go with a decent gravel and use root tabs. Forget about Eco.

Cryptocoryne wendtii, Cryptocoryne spiralis, Anubias hastifolia, and Anubias nana petite, have proved to be hardy and tolerant of different light levels.

I don't have a carpet plant. From what I've read, they require a lot of light which is hard to maintain in a low-tech tank.
Got it! Would a sand substrate work as well as gravel?
GallonsOfFun is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Raymond S.'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hot Springs Ar. 71901
Posts: 5,934
I told you my tanks are a bit odd.
At first I tried shale rock picked for size. That got tedious after a while so the back is just mostly fine gravel siliconed to the back. The shale is on the right wall.
The links are the tank when first filled.
Second is top view so you can get a better idea of the shape of that built in filter.
Water comes out where the bubbles are.
The third one is the end view. Water goes in at bottom left.

The Planted Tank Forum - Raymond S.'s Album: Experimental #2 - Picture
The Planted Tank Forum - Raymond S.'s Album: Experimental #2 - Picture
The Planted Tank Forum - Raymond S.'s Album: Experimental #2 - Picture

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Raymond S. is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Argus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallonsOfFun View Post
Got it! Would a sand substrate work as well as gravel?
I'm not sure on the exact definition of sand vs. gravel. I could see calling CaribSea Peace River sand.

From what I've read, if the grain size is too small it could develop anaerobic pockets that are not good for plant growth.
Argus is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 19
So now I am thinking about getting a lighting strip instead of standard hood lighting.

Something like this as I'd prefer not to spend too much on it: http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fish..._id%3D36-21387

Does this change my plant options (sorry, I didn't understand how they listed the wattage in the description)? And would increased light power make Co2 a necessity?
GallonsOfFun is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome