water circulation/mulm buildup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
water circulation/mulm buildup

I'm having trouble with mulm buildup and water circulation problems in my 20g long. I have black diamond capping MTS. I do a large water change with a vacuum each week trying to get it looking manageable, but it builds up again very quickly. It pools along the edges of the tank, especially the one opposite of my filter, and on my carpeting plants. My tank is pretty well planted, and it's been frustrating having such a gross looking tank after working so hard each day to maintain it. I currently have 3 otos, 1 farlowella, 12 green neon tetras, and a GBR. Aquaclear 30 filter.
I'm starting to get staghorn algae, and they recommend increasing flow and decreasing mulm to start battling it. Can anyone recommend what I could add to help with this? The vacuum I'm using doesn't have the best suction anymore, either, just enough to uproot my plants :p Any recommendations on a good one I can use with sand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had a similar issue with my 10g. My hands are to big to get in there without uprooting everything and the tank is heavily planted. Snails and a little time resolved the issue for me. I find a stray leaf on occasion other than that the bottom of my tank looks good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's pics twelve hours after cleaning. I mean, I don't expect it to be spotless, but if you look behind the rock in the first picture, you get the idea of how bad it can be in places.

I have Ramshorns, and at first I thought it was because of such a high population, but they stabled out at a good amount with two assassin snails, so I don't think it's that. I don't overfeed, either, every other day at most? I do have algae wafers to give my farlowella and otos, but the snails basically finish off anything that's left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	543282  

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	543290  

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	543298  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had this buildup issue in an under filtered tank. When I switched to a larger capacity filter, even in the lowest setting, it resolved. If you like the Aquaclear filters, try the AQ50.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Daisy! You're always so helpful!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
He he, I try.

I think the length of the tank is making it harder for the AQ30 to work properly, even if it's rated for up to 30 gallons. "Up to" is the key phrase here, I think.

When I vacuum I just strongly swirl the tube close to the corners to get the mulm floating out with the resulting water movement. I avoid bringing it too close to the more delicate plants/leaves. Seems to work at least for the bigger bits. The other thing I do sometimes is I just use a turkey baster to blow gently at the "dead" spots. This then gets mulm to fly around a bit and get sucked into the filter. Just once in a while if I notice it.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode