Just bought a ton of phoenix moss, need some help with making a carpet. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just bought a ton of phoenix moss, need some help with making a carpet.

In a few days my package will arrive of a huge order of fissidens. I am told it will easily cover 24x24 inches of surface.

I am going to use all of this to make a carpet of moss in my 75g crypt tank. My concern is what is the best method for me to do this?

I have a bit of phoenix moss currently approx 4x4" area and I used small rocks to glue the moss too and then placed them close together. The mos grows well and looks pretty good. But you can see a bit of the super glue. Also for a big area that I will be doing, I don't want to use that much glue in the tank.

I need some ideas on what the best way for me to do this will be. Ideally I want to be able to remove it in chunks so I can trim it outside of the tank. Also to be able to clean area that get really dirty.

Any thoughts?
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447202229013.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	542986
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447202313918.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	542994
Some of it is already on mesh and other clumps are loose. This is the photo I received from the seller.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I have decided to use lava rock to secure the moss too. I will be tying it down using cotton green thread.

My only question now is; will the moss only grow from.the end that its currently growing in? If I am laying it flat on the rocks how will it grow?

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
It will grow off new shoots, don't worry. Just spread it, tie it, grow it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Ah that stuff is junk, you should just send the moss to me ^,~ (joking)
Love fissidens!
I have it in a 2g cookie jar attached to driftwood (tied on gently with fishing line (don't tie too tightly)). Also have sme of ss mesh on the ground of that tank as a 'carpet'. I love how it loos covering wood, shrimp love it too. You can buy ss mesh for cheap on eBay (or here) to tie loos fissidens to for easiest remove and clean/trim option. I will admit trimming it on the driftwood is difficult.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode