Can I keep a Betta with Red Cherry Shrimp in a 55 planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I keep a Betta with Red Cherry Shrimp in a 55 planted tank?

Can I keep a Betta with Red Cherry Shrimp in a 55 planted tank?

I know this is generally not recommended in smaller nano tanks like 1-5 gallons but I was not sure if having a larger tanks(55 gallon) and planted would change things.

Please let me know if a betta can coexist with Red cherry shrimp in a larger aquarium.

Thanks

P.S. I also own a 1.5 gallon aquarium and a few 10 gallon aquariums that I can put the betta if things don't work out in the existing 55 gallon aquarium should I decide to try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well, each set up is a different story, but here are a few ideas:
1) get the shrimp established first. A big, breeding population will survive longer.
2) Some Bettas are more top oriented than others. Some won't go too deep into a tall tank, so the shrimp and fish might not meet.
3) Some Bettas are dedicated predators, and will spend their time hunting the shrimp, once they figure out that the shrimp are down there.
4) Good that you have a back up plan. If you notice that you cannot see many shrimp any more, they are hiding or getting eaten. Remove the Betta while there is still a breeding population of shrimp remaining.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

I have a betta in with shrimp, neos, and I believe if they were not well established I wouldn't have shrimp. I have a very healthy population and the betta (with a few other shrimp eating fish) keep the population in check. But this is in a 30g planted tank. If you anything "grass" like, the shrimp have a better change. I have some riccia and dwarf baby tears. You'll look in and see the betta tail sticking straight the riccia up while he "hunting" LOL. Plus my riccia is overgrown right now, so the shrimp have some great hiding.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have had a betta that lived with blue velvet shrimp in a 6 gallon for a year and pretty left them alone and I have had a betta in a 75 gallon that thought shrimp were great for dinner. I think it really depends on the temperament of the betta. Both tanks were heavily planted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode