Max tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Max tanks?

What is the Maximum number of tanks you can run while still being a productive member of society.

I just set up #10 and have tipped over the universe!
(I teach music and direct music theatre productions as my day/night job)

I was , fairly easily, facilitating 9 tanks. Raising the odd batch of angel fish here and there....started a shrimp tank....all was well...

added a dirted 55 as #10 and you would think I added 4 more tanks....now everything needs immediate attention and I am in tech rehearsals for an upcoming production of "Big River".....

just wondering who else out there is insane?

b

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been struggling with MTS since childhood.

I got it down to one low-tech tank for several years. Then the CFL bulb burned out, and I decided to get a new LED fixture instead. Next thing I knew, I had hooked up my old CO2 system.

Now I have four tanks, with two more in the planning stages. I think I need help.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For me 5 tanks is enough but I'm always wanting to replace some my tanks with a bigger tanks. I once had as many as ten and it got be big job taking care of that many. I think as time went on some of my pets suffered because I didn't have the time for that many. I was more in to breeding then an as we know that takes a lot more work. It was a great time for me because my hobby paid for itself.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have been working with MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome, and Mega Tank Syndrome) for years.
Current count is approaching 40 tanks and 2 ponds, almost 2000 gallons of water to deal with.
I have a 'to do' list that would keep several people busy!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have four and I am getting ready to add number five as a qt tank. I dont want any more than that. I commute an hour each way and work a 9 hour day everyday, sometimes more. Anymore tanks would be pushing me during the week.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I was at 17 tanks up and running, really needed to downsize and I brought that down to 8, then a month later, back to 17 tanks currently.....and they are all community tanks, no dedicated breeding......and I don't even hace a "dedicated fish room", most of the tank are in the living room making it look like a fish store. Now I gotta downsize again to make room for the Christmas tree soon. My goal is to just have 3 large display tanks. But I have a lot of different tank set ups/projects I wanna do....We'll see....we will see...

Crazy thing is though, as much money and time as I invest in this hobby, I really don't even spend much time at all visually enjoying the tanks. Probably a sign of too many tanks becoming more of a chore than enjoyment.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

MTS! I knew there was a syndrome!!

North Dakota
55 shrimp tank, rcs
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would be perfectly content with just 2 tanks. Or huge tank like a 125. I only have one however, a 55 gallon.

My wife doesn't want me getting any more tanks however, or any larger tanks due to not having very much room in our current living situation.

I have toyed with the idea though of purchasing a strong, double tank metal stand and placing another 55 or another 4x12 tank on the bottom of it. Wouldn't take up any additional room. My wife wasn't thrilled with that idea either though.

There was a guy on youtube that I watch all the time who used to have in his basement 4 75 gallon tanks, a 90 and a 220. And then up stairs had a 125. I guess that works more if you have a basement, but IMO that's a bit too many tanks for me.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm at 7 tanks, with #8 in process. 3 of them are only 5g, as will be #8, so these are easy to care for. The others are two 20 longs, one 25g and one 40b. I retired last winter and tank #7 was my retirement gift to myself. Was supposed to be my last tank. But...that 5.5 was just sitting there empty.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I started with a 75. bounced between salt and fresh for a while. I had angels lay some eggs and that led to adding about 4 10's ......then I needed a tank for the mated pair and added a 29. Then a friend gave me his 55 set up....and how do you say no to a free 55 set up?

after that I wanted a big tank and bought a 125 on EBAY. I drove from North Dakota all the way to Red Lake Falls MN and brought home my "dream tank".....once that was up I chilled for a while.

I'm also a photographer and had a wonderful darkroom in my basement. As I moved into the digital realm I used the black and white darkroom less and less. About 6 months ago I began to convert that space into a fish room and put in;
72 bow front (also a free tank from a friend) another 55, a 40, a 40 long a couple more 10's and most recently the dirted 55 in the downstairs family room.....we are empty nesters and my wife is a gem....she has endured countless RO overflows...stinky dead koi (we have a pond in the summer) that have committed suicide by leaping out and ending up behind the deepfreeze...etc....

North Dakota
55 shrimp tank, rcs
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Oh yeah, how's your 55 shrimp tank coming along? How many shrimp you got in that huge shrimp tank now? Any pics of it?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

So, in less than five months, I have accumulated 8 tanks/vases (with livestock currently). There are several vases with just water, plants, and snails in them (one is slated to have an RCS infusion in the next week or so).

None of the tanks can hold more than seven gallons of water. I think the small size is what keeps it all manageable (two X 1-gallon jugs for a water change does it for the biggest one), that and the low techiness. Plus it satisfies the urge to continually create something new, even if small.

One more vase in the planning stage, that is supposed to replace a couple of small vases that are just holding plants. Prolly not until after Christmas.

Eventually, I will "get promoted to my level of incompetence" (ha ha, hope I realize my limit before it happens and the tanks suffer). It's coming soon I bet.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

shrimp tank is doing well....a bit cloudy these past couple days ....too busy at work to address the issue right now...as soon as it clears up i'll post some images... RC's have had babies serveral times CRS not yet

North Dakota
55 shrimp tank, rcs
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have 7 working on number 8. It seems like I need to have one in planning for the winter. Mine range from m 2 1/2 to 75 gallons. My new one is a 46 bow-front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I'm at 12 now, I'd say 8 was more manageable, but they're all densely panted tanks so I don't really do water changes, just fer dosing, feeding, top offs. Should trim more and try to deal with some algae but eh.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode