New (used) Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Bushkill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
New (used) Tank

So I got a 45 gallon long today, used, with a bunch of stuff. The guy didn't want to have a fresh water tank anymore. He had used the tank for a while as a sump. I haven't actually put water in it, so I don't know if it leaks yet lol. None the less that's something I can fix if that's the case.

My real question boils down to this. As some of you know, I was going through a rough time, wanting to quit fish and just focus on plants, blah blah, stupid velvet blah blah. Well I moved all my fish "AGAIN" into my 20 gallon tank for copper treatment. This is borderline cruel.

I have 8 rainbows in it, ranging from 1.5 inchs to 3.5 inches. 9 cory cats, still pretty small. 1 inch max, 5 ottos, and 2 true Siamese algae eaters. One actually harasses the other because there is not much space. I honestly thought they were peaceful, but clearly they are stressed. Though I would be pissed too if i was crammed in a small room with someone else for what seems like eternity. :P

Anyways, I'm thinking about moving them all into this 45 gallon long. I'm just not sure if I use this copper treatment on them in this 45 gallon long, is this tank going to be usable down the road for snails, and inverts? Or am I going to ruin the tank forever? It's not like I paid much for the tank, so I guess it's not a major issue if i have to sell it or throw it away later on and just get a new one when I have the disposable income. But I do think the fish deserve a better home than what they got.

Please be advised the 20 gallon isn't their home lol, it's my hospital tank that I purchased so that I wouldn't introduce parasites into my tank, which well.... happen anyways lol. It was never purchased to house the fish that currently reside in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
30g Rubbermaid garbage can on sale is how much ? Or other suitable size/style that you may prefer of course. Because a few times on here I read that once a Copper med is used in any container, it becomes deadly to shrimp permanently.
The 45L is not common to find. I had a 30L when I was 15. Loved that size for more
than one reason. No one stocks that one either so special order if you find the shop that will.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
30g Rubbermaid garbage can on sale is how much ? Or other suitable size/style that you may prefer of course. Because a few times on here I read that once a Copper med is used in any container, it becomes deadly to shrimp permanently.
The 45L is not common to find. I had a 30L when I was 15. Loved that size for more
than one reason. No one stocks that one either so special order if you find the shop that will.
Damn good advice if you ask me.

I love my 40L. Same footprint as the 55 just not as tall. Works great under my 55 giving just enough elbow room to work. Putting a 55 there wouldn't leave room for anything.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 40 long too that I'm tearing down soon to make room for the 120, and since it's from 1986 (silicone questionable?), we are trying to figure out where we can set it back up again so we don't lose it. I've never seen one around here, and I adore the size. Easy to work on, unlike a 55, and I like the footprint of the tank too (I prefer a tank with some length).

But I wouldn't risk it with the copper, like mentioned above I've never seen another one around here, all 40 breeders or 55s. It's why we are researching to find a way to keep this tank usable. It's had fresh water in it for 17 years straight now, was a salt water tank before those 17 years (home to a grouper), and FW again prior to that. The AC powerheads in there are nearly as old, there's even a little bottle of "Snail-Be-Gone" labled 4% copper in the stand.....

Now obviously this tank HAS had some copper in it, to mitigate snails, and I have in more recent times, dosed the blue copper ich tablets, but I didn't see ill effects a few years later with the inverts that called it home for a little while. But I know the 120 taking its place will NEVER see copper.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of a 45L? I have a 40L also and I'm just having trouble just picturing the dimensions (still early here, lol!).

I've heard anecdotal references to silicone "retaining" copper in some fashion may times now. I have seen how it can discolor the silicone, but other than that I don't have any firsthand experience with it. The SW guys treat the stuff like it's the plague, but having spent 13 years neck-deep in SW, I can only say the same: Theories and warnings, but no direct evidence that a tank that's had copper in it at one time remains lethal to inverts regardless of how well cleaned or how long prior.

So the copper thing has me curious also. You may want to consider re-titling this thread or start a new one asking that specific question regarding copper usage.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I think...if copper stayed in a tank forever, I wouldn't have snails in my large tank. I know I treated it with copper once due to getting some clown loaches who promptly came down with ich.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG View Post
I think...if copper stayed in a tank forever, I wouldn't have snails in my large tank. I know I treated it with copper once due to getting some clown loaches who promptly came down with ich.
I haven't "owned" copper in about 20 years. My middle daughter and her buddy in mischief wanted to feed the fishies and poured an entire unopened bottle into a 29G. I never had cause to even buy it again, but I did continue using the tank (I think).......after disposing of all the carcasses. Since this was so long ago, I don't consider it firsthand experience since I know I shut the tanks down for a few years and just can't remember what I did with that one. But it's a story I love telling, lol!

My tendency is to side with TINNGG's experience and say that a thorough cleaning, running carbon, and all you should see is some discolored silicone as worst case.

Maybe we should get the Mythbusters guys on the case?
Daisy Mae and Daisy Mae like this.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Speaking of mythbusters, do you want to peak in a can of worms?

Posting from a few years back:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...-vs-truth.html

EDIT: Cancel the thought. The link won't post and I'm not fighting it any more!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode