How do I jumpstart the nitrogen cycle on a new 1.5 gallon tank baby shrimp tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I jumpstart the nitrogen cycle on a new 1.5 gallon tank baby shrimp tank?

Hello.

I have a 1.5 cube aquarium and a pregnant red cherry shrimp in my 55 gallon tank.

I am thinking of moving the pregnant shrimp into the 1.5 gallon tank so that the fish in the 55 gallon tank won't eat the babies.

I have all peaceful fish in the 55 gallon tank( Corry catfish, Neon tetra, white cloud, otto catfish) however I am told when baby shrimp are involved, all bets are off)

The 1.5 gallon nano cube has a filter and a small pump.

I was going to put some nylon mesh bag over the intake for the filter to prevent the babies from being sucked in.

I have taken the filter cartridge from the 1.5 gallon tank as well as some of the substrate I will be using and placed them inside the 55 gallon established tank in order to get some of the beneficial bacterial growing.

I have them both near the big sponge filter that I have in the 55 gallon tank for a few days.

Is this normally the process of jump starting the nitrogen cycle on a new tank? If there is only 1 shrimp in the tank and maybe feeding it like 1 flake a day, I don't think there will be too much nitrogen.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

That could work. You could seed the new substrate with mulm from the old tank.

Or, steal some of the top layer of substrate from the old tank. This should be rich in beneficial bacteria.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have 16 neon tetras, 4 corries and 20+ cherry shrimp in my 10g. I have a big wad of pelia + xmas moss for the shrimplet to hide in and they only come out when are 1/4".

I wrap filter pad around the cannister intake and zip tie it in place. The shrimps love eating the craps that get collected on there.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0100-Bonded-Filter-312-Square-Inch/dp/B0002565PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446762215&sr=8-1&keywords=marineland+filter+pad
So as long as you have enough moss for shrimplets to hide in, you can just leave the shrimp in there. There will be more things for shrimplet to eat in the bigger tank and easier to maintain water quality.

On jump starting cycle, you can just use tetra safe start.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
I have 16 neon tetras, 4 corries and 20+ cherry shrimp in my 10g. I have a big wad of pelia + xmas moss for the shrimplet to hide in and they only come out when are 1/4".

I wrap filter pad around the cannister intake and zip tie it in place. The shrimps love eating the craps that get collected on there.

Amazon.com : Marineland PA0100 Bonded Filter Pad, 312-Square-Inch : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies

So as long as you have enough moss for shrimplets to hide in, you can just leave the shrimp in there. There will be more things for shrimplet to eat in the bigger tank and easier to maintain water quality.

On jump starting cycle, you can just use tetra safe start.
Can the baby shrimp eat the fish flakes too or do they only eat microscopic things? I was also going to take some cuttings on plants in the 55 gallon tank and place them into the 1.5 gallon cube.

The neon Tetras are so small, they can to in the small places between the plants that the baby shrimp would normally hide. That is my concern.

Thanks.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Newborn shrimplet eat infusoria I believe, I don't know how many was born, I never saw the birth
At 1 week, when I noticed the shrimplet while peeking into the moss, I squished the flakes in the water so some powder get into the moss area, not sure if that did any good
At 2 weeks shrimplet start coming out and going after flakes that landed on the moss, they are about 1/4" at this point. I counted about 7 shrimplets that made it to this stage.

My neons does go the moss looking for leftover flakes, but I don't think they can catch the shrimplet. Little shrimplets are very hard to see and SUPER fast. It is like blink and it is gone. You can try leaving the berried female in the tank this time around, if you lose all the shrimplet then try splitting out next time. I think they have much higher chance of surviving in an aged tank with stable parameters.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Planted Member

I will agree with the others that as long as they have hiding spaces, an aged tank is better for them. Some may get eaten but remember, shrimp are near the bottom of the food chain and "know" it. They are made to be able to escape if they can with quick movements and hiding, if not "survival of the fittest."

But to answer your question for jump starting the cycle, you can either put extra supplies in your running tank (extra stuff in the filter, and extra substrate) and then move it to your new tank when you're ready to set it up.
Or you can just take some of the filter media from your running tank and add it into the new filter. You could also take some substrate and put it in your new tank.

Both of these are basically the same, only difference is the first way, your adding stuff and waiting for bacteria to grow on it, the second way you're taking stuff that already has bacteria on it.

There are also bottles of stuff such as safe start that can speed up a cycle.
But in the new tank, there won't be any or will be a very small amount of microscopic food for the shrimplets and the smaller water volume means the water parameters change easier and faster.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Take some filter media from the established tank. Give it just a tiny rinse in tank water, just enough to remove the loosest debris. The very large tank can donate enough media to fully cycle the baby tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode