Tweaking the Python - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By WickedOdie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tweaking the Python

I use a 25' Python Water Change system to do my water changes. It works wonderfully.....I can't imagine doing water changes without it! My dilemma is this, when it's time to clean the filters, I usually do it in conjunction with a water change. I use my Python in my bathroom sink, with very little clearance between the pump and the sink drain. I have read where it is best to rinse your filters out in tank water rather than sink water, as to not kill beneficial bacteria. I empty my canister filter into a bucket to rinse the filters in. I hardly think this is enough water to effectively rinse the filters. Anyone else have this problem? I'm trying to think of a way that I can catch some of the tank water in a bucket to have plenty to rinse filters with. Any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Well if you have a bucket you could just siphon water from the tank into it. Dump the water from the canister into the toilet. Rinse the media in the bucket.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Easiest thing that comes to mind is just use the bucket to scoop some water out of the tank (or a smaller container to scoop from tank to bucket). Depending on where you aquarium is compared to the bathroom sink (is the aquarium higher?) then you can stat using your python to the siphon going, then turn off the faucet. Now you'll only have aquarium water flowing out of the python as the tank is siphoning.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Well if you have a bucket you could just siphon water from the tank into it. Dump the water from the canister into the toilet. Rinse the media in the bucket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Easiest thing that comes to mind is just use the bucket to scoop some water out of the tank (or a smaller container to scoop from tank to bucket). Depending on where you aquarium is compared to the bathroom sink (is the aquarium higher?) then you can stat using your python to the siphon going, then turn off the faucet. Now you'll only have aquarium water flowing out of the python as the tank is siphoning.
Yeah, the ol' dipping from the tank is always an option, but I was wondering if there was a way to use the Python to achieve this, since it's siphoning anyway.

@lksdrinker, I think my the top of my tank is higher than the top of my sink, but when I have turned off the faucet in the past, I do not continue to have water flow through the Python. If so, how would you get the hose disconnected from the sink quick enough to fill a bucket? Just thinking out loud on this one....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbuster23 View Post
Yeah, the ol' dipping from the tank is always an option, but I was wondering if there was a way to use the Python to achieve this, since it's siphoning anyway.

@lksdrinker, I think my the top of my tank is higher than the top of my sink, but when I have turned off the faucet in the past, I do not continue to have water flow through the Python. If so, how would you get the hose disconnected from the sink quick enough to fill a bucket? Just thinking out loud on this one....
Well you cant beat gravity. If the water in your tank is higher than the faucet where you connect the python, the tank will continue to drain if you start siphoning and then turn off the faucet.

But, stop making it so hard on yourself. Just because you use the python for your normal water changes doesnt mean thats the only way to take water from the tank! Use any old short piece of hose to siphon water from tank to bucket if you're against scooping from the tank with a bucket. Or plan on making a big mess and disconnect the hose from the python to fill your bucket and continue making a big old mess while trying to get the hose back onto the python.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just make another attachment with a t and a valve. Cut the hose of the python and insert it somewhere.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got another question could u use RO water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboone82590 View Post
Got another question could u use RO water?
Or spring/distilled water from walmart/grocery store?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Well you cant beat gravity. If the water in your tank is higher than the faucet where you connect the python, the tank will continue to drain if you start siphoning and then turn off the faucet.

But, stop making it so hard on yourself. Just because you use the python for your normal water changes doesnt mean thats the only way to take water from the tank! Use any old short piece of hose to siphon water from tank to bucket if you're against scooping from the tank with a bucket. Or plan on making a big mess and disconnect the hose from the python to fill your bucket and continue making a big old mess while trying to get the hose back onto the python.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Just make another attachment with a t and a valve. Cut the hose of the python and insert it somewhere.
Thanks guys! Always useful information here on the forum!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I didint think about that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I use a 25' Python Water Change system to do my water changes. It works wonderfully.....I can't imagine doing water changes without it! My dilemma is this, when it's time to clean the filters, I usually do it in conjunction with a water change. I use my Python in my bathroom sink, with very little clearance between the pump and the sink drain. I have read where it is best to rinse your filters out in tank water rather than sink water, as to not kill beneficial bacteria. I empty my canister filter into a bucket to rinse the filters in. I hardly think this is enough water to effectively rinse the filters. Anyone else have this problem? I'm trying to think of a way that I can catch some of the tank water in a bucket to have plenty to rinse filters with. Any ideas or suggestions?
I have pot scrubbers and ceramic media in my canister for my BB. All I require the sponges to do is to clean the water of crud. I've washed my sponges from my canister in sink water since I've purchased it, with no ill effects to my cycle. The amount of bacteria actually in your sponges is low compared to the rest of the bacteria every where else, in your tank, on your plants on your decorations on or in your substrate. Losing a little bit of BB from your filters isn't going to make or break your cycle unless you're extremely overstocked.

Plus I don't know about you, but my sponge filters that I was in tank water, never seem to get a really good clean. I was these in tank water because they are my only form of filtration in some tanks.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can clean the mechanical and chemical filtration media with tap water. You just want to clean the biological media with tank water so chlorine from tap water wont kill off any of your beneficial bacteria.

For me, the water still left in the canister filter is enough for me to rinse the biomedia with. It gets clean/dislodged enough. If thats not enough, just use a cup or something to scoop some water out of the tank for more tank water to rinse your media. Less work and cheaper than rigging up a new valve with tubing.

You could actually just set a bucket below the tank and take some airline tubing, put one end in the tank water and the other in the bucket, suck on the end that goes to the bucket to start the siphon and let that siphon the tank water to the bucket, simple and its actually pretty fast at siphoning.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@WickedOdie and @WaterLife.....thanks you guys! Both of these are great ideas. It is almost time for filter cleaning and all of you are definitely helping me to make it a better cleaning for my tank!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
@WickedOdie and @WaterLife.....thanks you guys! Both of these are great ideas. It is almost time for filter cleaning and all of you are definitely helping me to make it a better cleaning for my tank!
No reason to make it harder on yourself!
bassbuster23 and bassbuster23 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode