• 6 Post By Linwood
  • 2 Post By kevmo911
  • 2 Post By Argus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Touching The Tank's Water and Excel

Do you guys/gals wait 24 hrs for Excel to dissipate before submerging your hands into the tank? Or do people just go right into the tank regardless of when it's been dosed?

After reading that Excel (or glutaraldehyde equivalent) is toxic, I just want to be sure I play it safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just wanted to chime in on Excel. I've heard good, and I've heard bad. So I don't use it. I started fertilizing my plants in a separate tank, and switch them out when I do water changes or clean. That way, I can add all kinds of chemicals including carbonated water, without worrying about the fish.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have no idea really, but I've heard Glute is used as a sterilizer in medical fields (look up Metricide 14 handling safety/precautions).
No idea if gloves are recommended to be used when handling Glute or not.

I suppose it does matter about the amount (concentration %) of Glute though. But so far, I haven't heard of anyone being harmed by Excel or Metricide 14 on skin contact.
But do look for more certain answers to be sure.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

At the levels it ends up once added to a planted tank I think you should think of it was water. It's just not strong enough at that point to hurt. In sanitizing strength (say in a hospital) it gets on people's hands all the time in real life use (even if it shouldn't), and that's orders of magnitude stronger. Your tap water has more strong sanitizer (chlorine or similar) in it than this dilute form of glute.

Bear in mind the fish are living in it without any effect.
Hoppy, Hoppy, Measle and 3 others like this.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
At the maximum water change dose (5mL per 10gal), you've got a 5:37,854 ratio of Excel to tank water, or about 0.013%. At a 1.7% glutaraldehyde concentration, that's about 0.000221% glutaraldehyde if I did the math right. I think you'll be okay
AboveBeyond and AboveBeyond like this.

Last edited by kevmo911; 11-04-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: 5:37k, not 1:37k. Mistyped, but did the math correctly. Maybe.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:31 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
At the maximum water change dose (5mL per 10gal), you've got a 5:37,854 ratio of Excel to tank water, or about 0.013%. At a 1.7% glutaraldehyde concentration, that's about 0.000221% glutaraldehyde if I did the math right. I think you'll be okay
Math checks out

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Excel is dangerous in its concentrated form, but not in aquarium water due to dilution. However, Your Aquarium Can Be Source of Skin Infections (Mycobacterium marinum). So, best to always wear http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PBEJ00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 when putting your hands in the aquarium, especially if you have any cuts or scratches.

AboveBeyond and AboveBeyond like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. I feel safer now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode