lowering PH without Chems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
lowering PH without Chems

I have very hard tap water with a PH around 7.8 - 8. I would like to lower and soften it in a 29 gallon without using Chem's. It has an eclipse filter and I was thinking about adding peat to the filter. Thoughts? Risks? Other methods?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:29 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have not had any success with using peat to lower pH. The only way I have done this successfully is to start with reverse osmosis water (I buy it for $.33 a gallon from Walmart) and add Electro-right to replace trace minerals in the water.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Peat might lower the pH, depending on the peat used and the kH of the water. But you will never be able to actually control how much.

Your best bet is going to be a pressurized CO2 system.

BTW, if your natural tap water pH is 7.8-8.0 your water is not that hard. Hard is when it has a kH of around 10° or more. You should know your kH and gH before you start trying to adjust the water.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Blade:

Not to get too geeky, but you can't change the pH without chemicals - peat releases organic acids (chemicals), CO2 is a chemical, baking soda and phosphate based products (pH down) are chemicals. As a chemist, I just had to respond. I think you may have meant "natural" products vs. "manmade" products, but in this case I think even that is a stretch. Rex is right on - you need to know the chemistry when you start - kH, gH, pH, etc. before you start changing it.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode