Does anyone here have a reef(saltwater) tank in addition to a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 315
Does anyone here have a reef(saltwater) tank in addition to a planted tank?

Does anyone here have a reef(saltwater) tank in addition to a planted tank?

If so, what do you like better?

Do you seem any similarities between the coral and plants?

Thanks.
miogpsrocks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Richmond Ky
Posts: 45
I have both. There r some similar aspects to both, but both r different in there own way. Saltwater u need lots of expensive equipment. Fresh not so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
planttastic is offline  
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by planttastic View Post
I have both. There r some similar aspects to both, but both r different in there own way. Saltwater u need lots of expensive equipment. Fresh not so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Which do you like better?
miogpsrocks is offline  
 
post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
sohankpatel's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 1,617
I have never had a SW aquarium, but i personally feel that a reef would top even the best planted tank. I just find them so amazing with the different colors and livestock available.
sohankpatel is offline  
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
WickedOdie's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 454
Reefs look soooo nice! It's a personal preference however as to which looks better. BUT! I need to have a fat wallet before I can dabble in salt water. I dont know about in the stats but the fish here are 50-100 bucks a piece, not to mention the corals and live rock. It's definitely the more expensive aspect of the hobby.
WickedOdie is offline  
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedOdie View Post
Reefs look soooo nice! It's a personal preference however as to which looks better. BUT! I need to have a fat wallet before I can dabble in salt water. I dont know about in the stats but the fish here are 50-100 bucks a piece, not to mention the corals and live rock. It's definitely the more expensive aspect of the hobby.
I live on the ocean so I figured I would take my boat out and look for some corals to save money or perhaps get a very small nano reef so a little coral will go along way.

I do know some people with coral tanks and it seem its like a full time job for them to maintain them. I am always traveling so I would have to figure out a way to automate everything such as a system to replace the evaporated water with distilled water.

I may give it a shot with a 29 gallon.
miogpsrocks is offline  
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: HINSDALE MA
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
I live on the ocean so I figured I would take my boat out and look for some corals to save money or perhaps get a very small nano reef so a little coral will go along way.

I do know some people with coral tanks and it seem its like a full time job for them to maintain them. I am always traveling so I would have to figure out a way to automate everything such as a system to replace the evaporated water with distilled water.

I may give it a shot with a 29 gallon.
I had a reef tank for years.but the time and money it takes to keep it going took the luster out of it for me.
JDS1212 is offline  
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Richmond Ky
Posts: 45
Saltwater has more colorful fish and coral, but us also more expensive and little more difficult.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
planttastic is offline  
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Richmond Ky
Posts: 45
That is y I have both. I switched my 180 over to planted tank because of the cost and time it took to maintain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
planttastic is offline  
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
I live on the ocean so I figured I would take my boat out and look for some corals to save money or perhaps get a very small nano reef so a little coral will go along way.

I may give it a shot with a 29 gallon.

I think thats a big no no. I dont know if its just certain areas or certain coral, but for the most part you're not supposed to touch coral let alone try to remove some for your own use.

I dont think many people would say they dont like the look of a real reef tank. But, as this site is specifically geared towards planted frewshwater tanks, you might get some skewed responses!
tuffgong and tuffgong like this.
lksdrinker is offline  
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bushkill, Pa
Posts: 2,577
I could write many, many paragraphs here.

I spent 13 years, neck-deep on the Reef side. Went through every lighting platform change and put the brakes on when I saw the first mid-3-figure LED fixture. The 4-figure skimmers were a close second.

It just became a rich man's game that spun into an out-of-control collector craze that justified incredible prices for chopped up corals by giving them a goofy name or saying some guru "discovered" it. I really had to shake my head at people sending corals to David Tyree "for evaluation". Just insane if you ask me.

There's a bigger range of organisms available, but honestly the FW side comes close if you dig deeper than Liveaquaria. As for colors, some of the FW hybrids and planted tank techniques have helped me forget about the SW side for the most part.

So no I don't miss it at all, and I really enjoy the feeling of being able to leave 1,000G of FW under the control of a few timers for a few days and not lose any sleep worrying about it.
jun_celis and jun_celis like this.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Bushkill is offline  
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
flight50's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: dfw
Posts: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I have never had a SW aquarium, but i personally feel that a reef would top even the best planted tank. I just find them so amazing with the different colors and livestock available.
You may not have ventured over to the AGA contest tanks then. AGA Aquascaping Contest I know for sure some of them rival SW. After awhile, most SW tanks all look the same. Planted tanks are fairly unique for I don't see duplicates really. SW is different in it's own way and definitely has a colorful beauty and feel. Although I have never had one, I wish to venture that way one day. The expense is up there though. It was going to cost me nearly a grand just for live sand and live rock for my 90g tank. I just may still go thru with it.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
I live on the ocean so I figured I would take my boat out and look for some corals to save money or perhaps get a very small nano reef so a little coral will go along way.

I do know some people with coral tanks and it seem its like a full time job for them to maintain them. I am always traveling so I would have to figure out a way to automate everything such as a system to replace the evaporated water with distilled water.

I may give it a shot with a 29 gallon.
Yeah it's against the law to take from public beaches. Also you don't replace SW with RO or distilled. You need to already have some SW for an automated top system ready to go. Using anything other than SW will throw the salt ratio off. I spent 2-3 month over on Reef Central researching when I was thinking about going reef for my main display. I learned a descent amount of info over there but I am not means a SW expert.
tuffgong and tuffgong like this.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flight50 is offline  
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I could write many, many paragraphs here.

I spent 13 years, neck-deep on the Reef side. Went through every lighting platform change and put the brakes on when I saw the first mid-3-figure LED fixture. The 4-figure skimmers were a close second.

It just became a rich man's game that spun into an out-of-control collector craze that justified incredible prices for chopped up corals by giving them a goofy name or saying some guru "discovered" it. I really had to shake my head at people sending corals to David Tyree "for evaluation". Just insane if you ask me.

There's a bigger range of organisms available, but honestly the FW side comes close if you dig deeper than Liveaquaria. As for colors, some of the FW hybrids and planted tank techniques have helped me forget about the SW side for the most part.

So no I don't miss it at all, and I really enjoy the feeling of being able to leave 1,000G of FW under the control of a few timers for a few days and not lose any sleep worrying about it.
Wow. I had no idea it was so intense. That much money and time.

I am starting out extremely small. Just a 29 gallon nano reef. I think I am just going to find the most hardy beginner coral and fish I can.

I thought I had really spent a lot of money but not compared to what you are talking about.

I took to ebay and got a $130 LED light, $20 refractometer, $100 skimmer, and $100 auto top off system, $100 stand, $30 aquarium, $50 salt. So I don't think I have gone too crazy so far.

So you have a 1,000 gallon FW Aquarium now?
miogpsrocks is offline  
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
NotCousteau's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 732
I finally took the plunge into saltwater last month. There is a special allure to saltwater. I resisted for many years due to the cost, but I figured that I needed to try it once to satiate my curiosity. I set up my reef tank about 1 1/2 weeks ago. It just wrapped up its cycling (thanks to awesome live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater), and I expect to add my first fish in a few weeks.

Undoubtedly, saltwater is more expensive: the fish, the corals, the invertebrates, the equipment and the live rock. However, I feel, as in the case with freshwater, that you can create a successful set up on a budget. When I got back into freshwater about two years ago after an 8-10 year break, I was overwhelmed by the number of expensive choices in lights, equipment, designer tanks, "it" fish, etc. I think the same is 10 times more true with saltwater, where many forums celebrate and revere very high-cost "builds." It's almost like the equipment is more alluring for some, which is totally fine.

However, in this din of noise over the latest and greatest products, newbies can get the wrong impression that they can't build a successful saltwater tank on a budget or without some of the latest and greatest equipment. miogpsrocks has a good take on how to make saltwater work for your budget. I'm glad I started.
NotCousteau is offline  
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Also you don't replace SW with RO or distilled. You need to already have some SW for an automated top system ready to go. Using anything other than SW will throw the salt ratio off.
No, that is not true. When water evaporates from a saltwater aquarium, the salt does not evaporate with it. So your auto top off system need to be distiller/RO water to prevent the salinity from increasing.

If you are doing a water change, then you use a saltwater mix but for the auto top off system which replaces evaporated water, you use distiller/RO.
Measle and Measle like this.
miogpsrocks is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome