Do you use UPS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you use UPS?

Uninterrupted power system? Basically a battery back up in case your power goes out?

My friend works for a restoration place and he found a UPS system, I'm thinking about using it in my fish room. It's not overly large, I'm thinking max, 500-600 watts. It's probably good for 30 minutes to an hour.

What do you guys think? It's probably worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi,

If you can have it for free, why not use it. It protects all electronic equipment. At one point the battery must be replaced and those cost.

Michel

Plants and algae grower.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedOdie View Post
Uninterrupted power system? Basically a battery back up in case your power goes out?

My friend works for a restoration place and he found a UPS system, I'm thinking about using it in my fish room. It's not overly large, I'm thinking max, 500-600 watts. It's probably good for 30 minutes to an hour.

What do you guys think? It's probably worth it.
Meh. I wouldnt bother unless you can get power long term. Everything should be perfectly fine with no power for 30-60 minutes or even longer. I suppose its a nicety but not a necessity.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have one on my computer so I will have about five minutes to save documents and safely shut down my computer. It has worked for me several times.

I can't see it being very useful for an aquarium. I can't shut down my fish so they could endure the temp drop from a long outage.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe I should hook it up to my main tank and see how long it runs for. Doesn't have to be my entire fish room I guess.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
A better use for it might be for emergency heaters and bubblers in case of long-term power outages.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Putting a heater on any UPS will drastically cut down the run time.

I'd just put any filters/pumps on the UPS and leave it at that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since a UPS is such short term help, I would not bother. There are so many easier ways to keep the fish alive long term and short term is not a problem. Since most of us do have 30-50 gallons of hot water stored most of the time, pouring water works for me for those really long term outages. With hot water available from the faucet at the bottom of the heater, I can maintain the temperature as well as move the water and add O2. For longer than 3-4 days out, I will have to work out those questions at the time but the fish are not likely to be the top concern if that is happening.
Sorry fish, got to go?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

I don't think its worth the space it'll take up. I've been through severe power outages over the years with varying levels of success. 10g, 5 days, everyone but a single magical cory turned into a popcicle in 38deg water. 150g, 2 days, no one was even phased.

I guess the point is, your success during an outage totally depends on tank size. but either way, I don't see 1 extra hour of power as making any difference. they're fine without for that long, and if it's longer, that hour won't help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Putting a heater on any UPS will drastically cut down the run time.

I'd just put any filters/pumps on the UPS and leave it at that.
Yeah I'm thinking more about using it as a backup battery instead of its primary use. I suppose keeping pumps on there makes sense if using it as a UPS, as priming can sometimes be a pain.

And maybe a heater isn't the best use for it, as they do draw a lot of current.

But if I had something I could use as a backup battery, I don't think I'd use it all all for a UPS. I'd definitely keep it charged through the winter, and use it for air pumps if I lost power. A heavy blanket and occasional hot water would have to do for heat.

*edit* to be clear, i'm talking about using it as a battery supply for an air pump, not a filter.

Last edited by kevmo911; 11-03-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: clarity
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

My timers and relays are on UPS but my tanks are supplied with mains (with power generator back-up) through the relays. We have frequent power outages here, sometimes for over 10 hours. So cant do without the system I have.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode