Flower ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flower ?

My Aponogeton Ulvaceous send out this flower. What should I do with it? I'm not planning to do an open top tank. I just haven't filled up my new tank up to the top yet. Also, from the profile, it says that this plant grows up to 2 feet. Well, I grew it from bulb and reaches 25" in 3 weeks . Will it stop growing anytime soon?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Planted Member

They grow like weeds and can be just as annoying. If you allow it to continue as is, it will flower, develop seeds, and proceed to drop them all over the substrate, where they will then grow into more plants, in random fashion. You'll find them growing all over the place. As to length, I had them grow to the top of my 55's(18") and then all the way across the surface of the water, from on end of the tank to the other (48"). At that point I said enough was enough and first started thinning them, and eventually just pulled them out. They will cover the surface, filtering much valuable light if you allow it.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't think they'll polinate themselves if they're under water. Every time my flowers get a bit under water, they 'stretch out' some more to get out. Sometimes you can polinate them by rubbing the two halves together.

I agree with the previous post, they can get annoying. I just grab the flower and give it a quick 'tug' and it'll pop off neatly from the bulb (the leaves don't do this quite as nice tho). It's a *big* resource drain on the plant and you will eventually have tons of the flowers at the top.

It's good for keeping floating plants still however

Plus I think that if you let it flower it might induce hibernation quicker (IIRC).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Then I'll just cut the flowers. I picked that plant because I have 24"H tank and thought it's enough. I'll let it sit in there for a while until my tank is established then. Maybe just get vals or something
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Newkidonthetank
can youu just flat top apongetons... ive done it to one... and it just made the next set of leaves grow wide and not tall... ive got alot of scraggly looking apongetons in my 10gal... 2 flowers every week from EACH plant... but the leaves dont grow up and out for me? they just stop at the top of the tank... they are polluted with algae, will, flat toping them help that...

out of the aquarium for a while... college
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 06:33 AM

I believe the white/yellow flowering variety of A. ulvaceus is self sterile(or just difficult to pollinate). This variety also goes through a dormancy. Your growth problems will end then . If you do not plan on trying to fertilize the inflorescence, you should (as mentioned earlier) remove the stalk. This might be able extend the lifetime of the plant by storing more energy in the tuber during dormancy. (Anyone with long lived tubers verify this?)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode