Lots of questions! Copy and paste them, and answer if you like! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lots of questions! Copy and paste them, and answer if you like!

1.) How big is your tank?

2.) Tell me about your filtration. What filter are you using? What media is in the filter?

3.) What are today's water test results?
-NH3
-NO2
-NO3/4
-P
-K
-Fe
-pH
Anything else you test regularly?

4.) Opinion on RO/RO-DI use? Do you or don't you? If you do, what system are you using?

5.) What is your fertilization practice? How much? How often? EI? Pro? Minimal?

6.) What lighting do you use? Do you know the PAR and if yes, what is it?

7.) Tell me about your next tank you are planning

8.) In your current, main tank, tell me about your livestock, hardscape, substrate and plants

9.) PICS PLEASE

10.) How often do you change water, and how much?

11.) How long (and painful) was your new tank cycle? How did you hurry it along?

12.) What tools do you consider indispensable?

13.) Have you ever considered doing a FOWLR or Reef tank?

14.) If you could buy any one item for your tank today, what would it be?

15.) Tell me about the biggest tank disaster you've ever had.

16.) Favorite fish? Invert? Plant?

Thanks! I Hope you enjoy this little survey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

-55g

2.) Tell me about your filtration. What filter are you using? What media is in the filter?
SunSun HW-302, from the top down - Purigen, bioballs and ceramic rings, filter floss

-NH3
0 PPM
-NO2
0 PPM
-NO3/4
10 PPM
-P
Dont Test
-K
Dont test
-Fe
Dont test
-pH
During co2 - 6.7, without co2 - 7.8
NOPE

4.) Opinion on RO/RO-DI use? Do you or don't you? If you do, what system are you using?
Not super necessary unless you have terrible tap water

PPS-PRO, 1 ml/10g daily

Finnex Ray 2 - about 60-70 par depending on location
I just started this one, maybe a shrimp tank

8.) In your current, main tank, tell me about your livestock, hardscape, substrate and plants
Neon tetras, pristella tetras, guppies, flagfish, otos, a dwarf gourami, a kribensis, and some corydoras, 2 large pieces of driftwood, 80lbs of Eco-Complete, plants i cant remember off the top of my head, pics when i get home.

9.) PICS PLEASE

Weekly, anywhere from 25-50% depending on how much time i have

11.) How long (and painful) was your new tank cycle? How did you hurry it along?
I went on vacation during the cycle, took 3 weeks with a couple goldfish that i borrowed from my sister

Tweezers, bucket, siphon

Too expensive

A new filter, mine is a bit underpowered

Not really a disaster, but i bought 8 neons and 2 angles, both angels died and 4 neons died within a week

Fish - Kribensis- looks awesome, Flagfish - algae eating machine. Invert - RCS are cool, S. repens
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

10 Gallon. I repurposed an empty lizard tank when my geckos outgrew this one.

Aquaclear HOB 30 with purigen, sponge and Fluval biomedia. Adding Seachem Matrix today

-NH3 - 0
-NO2 - 0
-NO3/4 - 40
-P - Unk
-K - Unk
-Fe - Unk
-pH - 7.6

Nope. I need to buy more test kits

I think it is overkill for FW tanks of any kind and possibly even detrimental as you get trace elements in tap water. However, I plan to buy one soon because I want to start a reef tank as soon as I can, and I am considering a discus tank. While I think tap is probably fine for discus, I also know they are super touchy and very expensive.

DOsing GLA EI right now + excel. I use pressurized CO2. I guesstimate on the dosage. I dose both Macro and Micro on the same day (I know...probably bad) every other day, and change water of fridays

I have 2 lights, a wavepoint 6" 6500K blade and a marineland 12" double with nightlights. I run my lights far too long...10-12 hours a day.

I am drawn between a heavy light, heavy CO2, heavy planted Discus/Angel tank 125G or a 40 breeder reef

Mostly landscaping smooth rocks and a piece of Manza. Livestock is 12 neons, 1 betta, 3 nerites and 2 ghost shrimps that came as hitchhikers. Substrate is 20lb eco-complete black with a white sand path. Plants include glosso, dwarf baby tears, java moss, red ludwigia, hygro corymbosa temple, and an anubis nana

9.) PICS PLEASE

See below

Weekly, 50-75% I have a pretty big bioload, and like to feed, so I usually have a lot of cleaning to do on WC day.

Not too bad. I used a lot of seeded media, bottled bacteria, and fish in cycle. Was over in about 2 weeks.

My hands, first and foremost, followed by long surgical tweezers

Every.Single.Day.

either a new lighting system or a bigger tank ;-). But I'd love to have some colorful shrimp. I just do not feel the tank has aged enough for them.

I lived in a 2nd floor apartment and had a 36 bowfront reef. I went to work and the pump failed. The overflow drained about 20 gallons of water onto the floor, which leaked stinky sump saltwater into the neighbor's apartment below

Fish FW - Either Discus or Angels, Large Clown Loaches, Black Ghost Knife
Fish SW - Bluespotted Jawfish, hands down
Invert FW - Loving these blue shrimp out there, Dwarf orange Crayfish
Invert SW - Harlequin Shrimp.
Plant - Hygrophilia Polysperma sp Rosenarvig
Coral - Brain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	539002  

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	539010  

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	539018  

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	539026  

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	539034  

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	539042  

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	539050  

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	539058  

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	539066  

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	539074  

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	539082  

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	539090  

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

75g standard

55 gallon sump with 20ppi and 40ppi foam with 20 gallons of scrubby bio media and dual return pumps.

20 ppm Nitrate, that's the only thing I test.

I do not use RO water, tap water has the nutrients to keep plants thriving in a low tech environment.

None.

3x 10.25" dome shop lights with 13w 6500K spiral CFL bulbs

400g, 8' long, plywood aquarium with my 75g as a sump.

Livestock includes:
8 Denison Barbs
1 Blue Ram
10 Neon Tetra
20 Cherry barbs
8 Emerald Corys
6 otos
2 Assassin Snails

Hardscape is just terracotta clay pots and random stones. Substrate is black diamond blasting sand with home made O+ root tabs.

Plants include:
Crypt Wendtii
Crypt Wendtii Bronze
Crypt Wendtii Red
Anubias Nana
Amazon sword
Dwarf sag
Jungle Val
Spiral Val

9.) PICS PLEASE

Once a week or every other week. Approx 50% of the display tank.

I used pre-established media. It took about a week for my current tank to adapt.

Aqueon water changer. Refilling 40+ gallons of water is much easier.

No desire. I got into fish keeping for the plants.

A 5000 GPH DC return pump, mostly to save for the next tank.

Ammonia spike after transferring the tank because the sump had a lot of unseeded media that wasn't as efficient as the canister on my old tank.

Denison barbs, Cherry shrimp and vals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Just curious what is this survey for? A school project?

Too much work to list all 41 tanks I have.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Just curious what is this survey for? A school project?

Too much work to list all 41 tanks I have.
LOL I thought the same and I only have 16 tanks up and running right now!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not for school. Some is to help me improve my practice and learn personally. Others are for fun and interest. If you wish to answer, perhaps pick your current favorite tank or the one you are working most?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Everything from a 5 gallon to a 90. 41 tanks running at present
I have 20 corner box filters. All have floss in them and nothing else. 4 or five are Tetra Second Nature with just the plain bags. Some have no filters and all. One tank has a Jungle triangle sponge filter. A couple have sumps. There is no such thing as the one perfect filter. The box filters are perfect for my breeding tanks. They work well on some others also. I like the Tetras. Sumps not as much. But they work.
3.) What are today's water test results? No idea. Truthfully I don't worry too much about it.
-NH3
-NO2
-NO3/4
-P
-K
-Fe
-pH

4.) Opinion on RO/RO-DI use? Do you or don't you? If you do, what system are you using? Don't use it. I will however as I get into soft water species.

5.) What is your fertilization practice? How much? How often? EI? Pro? Minimal? I let the fish fertilize for me. Seems to work OK. But I also plant in clay pots filled with top soil. I don't "mineralize" it. I open the bag and fill.

6.) What lighting do you use? Do you know the PAR and if yes, what is it? All T-8s. Depends on tank size. No idea what the par is/ Plants seem to do OK.

The next tank will be determined by the auction on the 21st.

I'd say my "main tank" is the 90. Driftwood. Pea gravel from Home depot or Lowes. Plants? Vals anubias, Java Fern. Somme other stems. Full of angels and a pair of albino pleco breeders.
9.) PICS PLEASE

10.) How often do you change water, and how much? I try to do 25% every day. I don't always make it and generally change whatever I can in the limited time I get in the fish house.

11.) How long (and painful) was your new tank cycle? How did you hurry it along? I've not cycled a tank in years. I get home from the society auction, fill a tank and add the fish. Haven't had a problem in years doing that.

there is no such thing as an indespensible tool other than a towel. Maybe a siphon hose a bucket and a garden hose to refill. Everything else I can make do with.

13.) Have you ever considered doing a FOWLR or Reef tank? Been there done that. Never again.

Nothing comes to mind really. After 36 years doing this I pretty much have what I need. But if I could by something maybe a bigger fish house for more tanks.
15.) Tell me about the biggest tank disaster you've ever had. If you watch after your tanks there is no such thing. Tanks break. Deal with it and it becomes nothing more than an inconvenience. With contingency plans in place they never become a disaster.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
LOL I thought the same and I only have 16 tanks up and running right now!
You need more tanks. I need another 10 10 gallon tanks.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Algae Grower

75 Gallon standard

Two Eheim 2215's. One is running the stock Eheim media and the other is running Fluval Biomax.

I haven't been testing water much lately.

I've only been doing this for a few months now. When I first started, for some reason I got it in my head I needed RO water (I knew better, but I still convinced myself). I'm using 100% RO/DI water with Seachem products (Equilibrum, Acid & Alk buffers). I'm debating switching back to tap water or a mix.

I use a Bulk Reef Supply Value system (and then upgraded to the chloramine setup with an extra carbon filter). I also planned to use the RO for drinking water and ice cubes, but that experiment hasn't been so successful. The BRS setup works fine. When I leave it "on" for the drinking water I get a few drips from some of the connections (pressure builds up). Under "normal" use, no leaks and no problems at all.

Following a slightly modified EI dosing regiment. I do more frequent water changes.

Currently a Satellite Plus Pro. I have not measured the PAR.

A 20 gal long to try some other plants.

Eco complete substrate, one driftwood log, a large lava rock, and a handful of smaller lava rocks (they are likely to get yanked out soon). I have 12 tiger barbs, 3 opaline gouramis, and 8 otos (just added, hope the all live). Thinking about getting a red tail shark or a loach of some sort (yoyo?).

Plants currently, Blue Hygro, Cyperus helferi, Vallisneria (soon to be pulled out), Micro Sword, Undulata Cryptocoryne, Red Cryptocoryne, Dwarf Sagittaria, ludwigia arctuata, Dwarf Hairgrass, Hygrophilia angustifolia, Ludwigia inclinata (Cuba), Scarlet Temple.

9.) PICS PLEASE

I'll work on this...

I change ~ 50% (35-40 gallons) every 3 or 4 days lately. I was trying to do it weekly, but I was getting some algae. Also, my work schedule doesn't always (never) allow me to be on a 7 day cycle. I've cut back on the food but I continue to do the frequent water changes.

I didn't consider the cycling of the tank painful at all. I did the opposite of hurrying it along. LOL It eased me back into the hobby.

The media in my filters is in small mesh bags (each filter has multiple small bags). The next tank setup will get one or two of those bags of media thrown in to kickstart it.

A towel. Multiple towels actually. Tank specific tools? Tweezers have helped me planting stem plants.

No.

I think, for the moment, my tank is set. But, perhaps a BML light...or an Apex controller...or both.

Not nearly as much experience as some others here, so no major drama yet. However, the stupidest thing I've done so far was leaving the inline heaters unplugged for a couple days. Fortunately the house is usually kept comfortable anyway.

My tiger barbs are pretty cool when they are schooling. Not a big invert fan. I'm a big fan of any plant that will grow well for me. Currently that is only Blue Hygro and Dwarf Sagittaria.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

38 gallon

Fluval 406 with biomedia, purigen, other mechanical media.

-NH3
-NO2
-NO3/4
-P
-K
-Fe
-pH

I dose EI and tend not to test parameters much. I will test occasionally though.

Not necessary most of the time. I use RO water (Kent marine unit) but I'm still working out if I want to do 100% RO and remineralize or do 50% tap.

Tried pps pro, I ended up with too much NO3 and not enough PO4. I tried adjusting it for a few months and gave up. Now I'm doing EI cut by 50% and it's working better. (EI dosage at this level is still more than pps-pro)

I use two lights on different timers. I have a Finnex planted + 24/7 and a finnex RAY2. Supposedly each one has a PAR value of about 40-50 at substrate level.

no plans at the moment. Not enough space.

It's a CO2 injected tank with a spray bar. I have Apisto borelli, some cardinal tetras, a bristlenose and a german blue ram. I also have cherry loaches and a some panda corries. It may be too warm for the corries so I plan to move them out in the future. I grow java fern, star grass, belem hair grass, alternanthera reineckii, and limnophila aromatica.

9.) PICS PLEASE

25-50% weekly. My RO unit takes 4h to generate 5 gallons due to my water pressure so I often do 25%.

Not painful at all. I tried to do a "silent cycle" where I heavily planted the tank and added a very small amount of fish. I planted hornwort and other fast growing plants to suck up the excess nutrients. I really didn't get very much nitrate or nitrite during this process.

Forceps, siphon, bucket. I also have very small measuring spoons for dry dosing fertilizer.

Yep, considered it. I have taken care of salt water tanks before and really enjoyed it. However, it does seem like a very large commitment and can be stressful if you ever leave on vacation. Additionally they are very expensive. Maybe I'll try one out at a different stage of my life.

I might go with a shorter tank. It's a pain to get the light all the way down to the substrate on a 38 gallon tank.

Tried the "one two punch" at a reduced dosage. It killed 25% of my fish along with the algae.

My favorite fish currently is my Apisto borelli. My favorite fish in the trade is an electric blue acara or some sort of bichir. Never owned a bichir though, I just think they look really cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by c9bug; 11-04-2015 at 01:12 PM. Reason: corrected a few things about my filtration and fish plans.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
holy [censor] 41 tanks?!

I have 12 tanks...I'll do the largest, 55g

Huge sponge filter (run with big air pump), plants are major part of filtration. Use to have an eheim pro 3 xl whatever-the super jumbo canister filter with foam, lot of ceramic, and bio ball media. Tank is now too low to run a canister filter.

-NH3 0
-NO2 0
-NO3/4 ~10
-P unknown
-K unknown
-Fe unknown
-pH 7.5
Anything else you test regularly? Not regularly (maybe bi annually) GH 40 KH 80-90

I never mess with it, too much work imo. I just keep fauna and flora that can handle my tap.

Each tank is different some are soil, some have root tabs, some just get liquid seachem ferts (not the most efficient-trying to figure out a better fert option), this tank gets liquid ferts: flourish 1ml, phosphates 1.6 ml, potassium 0.6ml every day, and 0.1ml iron every other day.

4' t5 2x bulb 6500k watts unknown suspended 30" above tank top rim+ 1 clamp reflector lamp with 13 watt 6500k cfl. Par unknown guessing low end of medium or high end of low light. (Anyone want to loan me a par meter for a day?)

Oh no no no no no a dozen is plenty thank you.. though I plan to someday consolidate a few tanks: I want to take the riparium off my 55g, the leopard vals, driftwood, and river rock form my 20g long, and the water sprite and N. Taiwan from my 10g and set up the 40g breeder... trick will be lighting under water plants without detracting from the riparium plants..also making a lid to keep fish in that curves around all the planter boxes.. Then convincing my husbnad to let me re homing all the fish (he enjoys them all) from the tanks... After that's done I want to try koi swordtails (love the pop of orange and white) in there and hope they don't eat my plants.. if they do they'll be fish-ka-bobs(more likely sold/returned) and I'd have to figure something else out for the tank... maybe koi angels?

main tank.. technically no main tank but the 55g is pretty dominating...
Fauna:
???# Malaysian trumpet snails (i pulled out a good 300-600 last week!)
5-6 Otos
8 False jullie cory
11 Cherry barbs 3m:8f
1 Angelfish female
1 Madagascar rainbowfish female
No submerged flora
Emersed flora:
Pothos varigated x??? got a good 40+ feet of it!
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum "domino") x2
Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella x??
Anthurium
Alocosia polly x2
Marble Queen (pothos) x3 but stil small
Prayer Plant (Maranta leuconeura) x2
Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen) x3
Arrowhead Plant (Syngonium podophyllum 'Cream Allusion') x3 still small
Riparium planter media:
expanded clay media
Substrate:
black diamond 'sand'
Hardscape:
red cedar driftwood anchored to a river rock + some pvc home made hides spray painted black with krylon fusion.

9.) PICS PLEASE

Rarely ever, maybe once a month 5-10 gallons. All the emersed flora keeps nitrates in check so I mostly just top of 2-5 gallons a week.

NEW TANK (not 55g) It was densely planted with a betta as only fauna. Dosed prime daily and did a few water changes a week to keep algae from getting any ideas. Once plants were settled in they consumed all the ammonia. So no big deal/not painful no hurrying, plants did the work for me. The 55g originally just moved media from my 20g long HOB+ added new media to canister filter and moved the fish from the 20 to the 55. When tank was re-done old media was put in a HOB and new sponge filter places in tank, ran for a month then removed HOB.

Needleless syringe-use to dose prime, liquid meds, and ferts (different syringe for each). Makes measuring easy. 1ml=1cc.

Nope, but if I ever did I'd get a marine betta and set it up in my 55g (if it wasn't in use-had set up the 40g breeder riparium).

Hmmmm... I guess a good led for plant growth (dunno which) for the 55g riparium to give around medium light at 30" low light at 54" and LEDs spread over a 4'x3' since I keep some house plants in front of the tank and have pothos hanging over the tank's front (anyone know of an LED that fits this let me know!).

55g riparium sprung a fatal leak on a weekend I was suppose to go out of state to visit my parents. Thankfully I'd stayed and caught the disaster (or else I'd have come home to moldy/ruined floor, many hundreds of $ of dead fish and plants, or possibly house burnt down from heater running with no water.. also monster canister filter (eheim pro 3 xl what ever) would have fried..). The silicone seal on the bottom pane of glass had failed and I had to frantically move all fish, plants, and as much of the tank water as I could over to a empty 40g breeder while trying to keep the spill mess to a minimum. Catching everyone was hard, I used a gallon zip lock bag as many fish were too large for the net (and it let em catch several at once). Drained tank, spend 2 days scarping ALL the silicone off, then husband went nuts with new silicone and we let cure 72+ hours, did a 24 hour test fill, then moved everyone back. So that's the worst that ever happened, could have been worse. When re-setup the tank was lowered so the riparium is visible and the tank is more like a pond-too low for canister filter and don't really see into the tank unless sitting on the floor.

FAVORITES ARE NOT IN THE 55G
Betta splenden (keep one in a proper set up and they're like underwater puppies! Very active and interactive, petable and trainable).
Hmmm ramshorn snails. That's right your 'pest' is my fav invert! Cool shells, clean tanks for me and are food for the dwarf puffer when they breed.
Tough one....aquatically Anubias in general except for the issue of rhizome rot disease wiping out a good $500+ of my collection...collection is much smaller now. Also N. tawian-lily plant awesome thing, clippings can make new plants if left in water with a light (can't do that with dwarf lily)!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
holy [censor] 41 tanks?!

And hopefully all 61 that I own will be up and running in a few months. That's all I can fit in the fish house.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
And hopefully all 61 that I own will be up and running in a few months. That's all I can fit in the fish house.
How many gallons total (current and if all set up)?!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
How many gallons total (current and if all set up)?!
Running just at 1000 gallons. With all running I think 1500.
In the house I've only got 2 55s, a 20L and a 45L. When I built this house I had a closet made so I could put a 90 that can be seen in the TV room. I have not bought that yet. Plus I've got another 75 coming down from my sister in June. And I'm trying to find a way to move 13 700 gallon concrete vats to my house. That might be a pipe dream though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode