Transporting Plants via Plane; tips? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Transporting Plants via Plane; tips?

I'm going to Aquatic Experience, a convention in Chicago, and will be part of an aquascaping competition. One thing: I live in Baltimore!

Any tips for taking plants on a plane? It's going in my checked luggage. It will be about a 2.5 hour flight, but it will probably be in my luggage for about 6 hours before I can put it in another container when I get there. I figure it would be safer to have it in a rigid container to keep them from getting squashed, but am open to any ideas or suggestions to keep them both moist and not crushed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Transport them dry. They aren't traveling far, they will be okay either way.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Pack them into plastic baggies, then layer in a box along with light weight crunched up paper. No need to put water in the bags, the wetness remaining will be enough. If you like, put a tiny bit of air in the bag, not too much as it will expand during ascent.
Put in the middle of your suitcase if you're checking it in, so it doesn't get too cold while up at 30,000 plus feet.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd probably ship them separate to be delivered to your hotel. Not sure what TSA might think if they end up randomly checking that bag; and they're not exactly none for being gentle and/or putting things back the way they found them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've done this plenty of times from Oahu, Hawaii when I come back to Maryland (where I currently live.) Just have them moist (but damp is fine for TSA) and make sure they are in a clear bag so TSA can inspect them. I use ziplocks and put them in a shopping bag wrapped in newspaper for insulation. It's easy and simple. Make sure you're not bringing anything back that is considered invasive and banned by DNR though, that's the only concern you will have.

Also, put this in your carry on NOT your checked luggage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode