Too much light? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much light?

On my 75 gallon tank, I'm running an Odyssea 4x54w 48" light fixture. I have the timer set as follows....first set of bulbs come on at 12 pm and off at 8 pm. The second set comes on at 2 pm and off at 10 pm. That gives me 6 hours at max intensity and 4 hours at half intensity. I'm not running injected co2, but using Excel/Metricide for my carbon source. Is this too much light to combat algae issues in this tank? I will say that I have just learned about fert dosing (outside of the flourish and Osmocote root tabs I've been using).....& just received my macro/micro ferts in the mail Friday. So, I have learned that with the proper ferts, algae will have less chance to thrive. But for this thread, the question is regarding my light system/schedule. Thanks for the info/advice.....& feel free to answer in regards to the lights or ferts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:34 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Excel/Metro doesn't take the place of 40+ppm CO2.
Does growth & algae in your tank tell you you have too much light?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Excel/Metro doesn't take the place of 40+ppm CO2.
Does growth & algae in your tank tell you you have too much light?
To be honest, I have debated with myself over going to pressurized co2 (even made a thread regarding that). I have the algae on the glass that looks like a "smudge", I have a couple of small patches of green grass looking algae on the substrate, and occasional hair algae. The tank looks pretty good, except when I look into it from the side glass(width side)....it has a slight cloudiness to it from that angle. Algae bloom? Idk.....

So to answer the question.....I'm not sure, so my guess would be I'm borderline because algae is not overtaking my tank. Your opinion?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 02:09 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
What about the plants? It'll show co2 and nutrient deficiencies if the lights are too strong. I think you have the lights on too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
What about the plants? It'll show co2 and nutrient deficiencies if the lights are too strong. I think you have the lights on too long.
From a previous thread, I have learned that the plants are probably undernourished with nutrients. I just received my ferts package, so I've started correcting that problem. In the beginning, the plants went through what I think was an acclimation period, and then started thriving. Runners were being sent out, baby plantlets were forming, nice color, everything. This was using my current lighting schedule. Then the growth slowed....except for the water sprite, which exploded in my tank. My guess is the plants had used up the excess nutrients during their growth spurt, and the water sprite seems to have hogged everything since. Hopefully, the new ferts will help level things back out with plant growth.

I have been dosing with Excel, 3x weekly, until last week....when I was advised to start dosing daily.

This is a learning experience for me.....and I greatly appreciate all of the advice and guidance.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you'll have far to much light. I have a 60 which is a narrow 75 I believe as far as height. I have a 4 x 54 T5HO and I just run two lights about 7 hours total per day and I find that to be pretty close to right, although that might still be slightly to much light without floaters to take some of it away, at least for a non-injected tank.

I also use excel which helps but doesn't make up for to much light.

St. Louis, Missouri
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Either way if it's shortage of ferts or light I would reduce the light operating time. In the vast majority of setups you don't need more than 8 total hours. The second set of lights I would reduce midday to around 2 hours.

I've run several setups like that with the same amount of light and grew beautiful carpets with high-light depending plants. As mentioned you might not even need the second set of lights depending on what your growing.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
I think you'll have far to much light. I have a 60 which is a narrow 75 I believe as far as height. I have a 4 x 54 T5HO and I just run two lights about 7 hours total per day and I find that to be pretty close to right, although that might still be slightly to much light without floaters to take some of it away, at least for a non-injected tank.

I also use excel which helps but doesn't make up for to much light.
Gavin, it looks like I could be running too much light. I'll tweak that some & see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Either way if it's shortage of ferts or light I would reduce the light operating time. In the vast majority of setups you don't need more than 8 total hours. The second set of lights I would reduce midday to around 2 hours.

I've run several setups like that with the same amount of light and grew beautiful carpets with high-light depending plants. As mentioned you might not even need the second set of lights depending on what your growing.
House, do you think on a 4x54w setup running 2 bulbs for 4 hours and then switching over to the other 2 bulbs for 4 hours (8 total hours) would be sufficient light for good, healthy plant growth?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Have you read this thread? It's a sticky in the lighting forum.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ead-watts.html

The first post includes the approximate PAR levels for the 2-bulb, 36" version of what you have. A 2-bulb, 48" version would have slightly higher PAR (light from the extra length makes a small difference), and then a 4-bulb would be twice that much.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post

The first post includes the approximate PAR levels for the 2-bulb, 36" version of what you have. A 2-bulb, 48" version would have slightly higher PAR (light from the extra length makes a small difference), and then a 4-bulb would be twice that much.
Kevmo, I have not read that, but I'm pulling it up now. Thanks for sharing.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We need to know the distance from light to substrate.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post

Kevmo, after looking at the thread, let me toss out what I believe to be correct regarding my situation. My light sits approximately 20-22" above the substrate. With a 4 bulb setup, that would put me at 80-90ish micromols of PAR.....running all 4 bulbs at one time. This would require constant co2 injection. Running 2 at a time, should have me between 40-45 micromols....right on the edge of co2 injection.

Did I interpret this correctly?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
We need to know the distance from light to substrate.
I just measured it.....roughly 20-22" above the substrate.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Too much light increases algae, because IMO it inhibits the growth of the plants and the algae can take up the slack. I think 1/4 or 1/3 EI should get the plants growing well and the algae will die off. Maybe you should raise the fixture or wire in a dimmer switch.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Too much light increases algae, because IMO it inhibits the growth of the plants and the algae can take up the slack. I think 1/4 or 1/3 EI should get the plants growing well and the algae will die off. Maybe you should raise the fixture or wire in a dimmer switch.
Django, I have no idea what 1/4 or 1/3 EI is.....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Check this article by Morfox: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...g12UDvyEEFGiEw

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode