Filtering a divided betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filtering a divided betta tank

Originally I started thinking about this when I watched a youtube video on the Aquaone betta trio tank. My question is, if I could replicate a diy version similar to that to you think that it would still sufficiently filter the tank?
I was thinking of replicating this on a 20l. What I was thinking of doing was making about a 4in space in the back of the tank via the crafting mesh used in most diy tank dividers and then putting the heater and filters in there. Similar to how it is done one the Aquaone betta trio. My question is what kind of filter should I use? I was thinking the best way would be a canister filter with a spray bar.

Link to Aquaone betta trio (also just google or youtube it)
betta-aquariums.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So on the trio how does the water filter is it through the substrate or is there a pump in the last one taking it back to the filter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The intake is on the left side and the outflow is on the right side, and then I think the spray bar is like an optional attachment. Not to sure, it's a European seller so no too much info about it. There's some decent youtube vids that shed a lot of light on it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 AM
Algae Grower

I think with a large enough submersible pump you could pull enough water through the filter.

You could use Black ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) Plastic Sheet to create the dividers, this stuff is usually smooth and glossy on one side, and a crackle texture on the other. I recently used it in my 10g All In One build and found it to be really easy to work with and it cuts nicely on a rotary saw. (mixed results with Acrylic Plexiglas)

For the filter I would just use Plexiglas. You can cut it using a box cutter or any sharp knife really, just score it about half way then pop it on the edge of the table. As long as you scored evenly it will give a relatively clean edge. Just not that Acrylic Plexiglas can absorb water and expand so leave some space between your pieces and the glass (that you fill with silicone)

I picked up the ABS and Plexiglas for my 10g at a local plastic fabrication store for $10. Small scrap pieces that they most likely have no use for.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Voigtman View Post
I think with a large enough submersible pump you could pull enough water through the filter.

You could use Black ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) Plastic Sheet to create the dividers, this stuff is usually smooth and glossy on one side, and a crackle texture on the other. I recently used it in my 10g All In One build and found it to be really easy to work with and it cuts nicely on a rotary saw. (mixed results with Acrylic Plexiglas)

For the filter I would just use Plexiglas. You can cut it using a box cutter or any sharp knife really, just score it about half way then pop it on the edge of the table. As long as you scored evenly it will give a relatively clean edge. Just not that Acrylic Plexiglas can absorb water and expand so leave some space between your pieces and the glass (that you fill with silicone)

I picked up the ABS and Plexiglas for my 10g at a local plastic fabrication store for $10. Small scrap pieces that they most likely have no use for.
What do you mean by using plexi glass as a filter?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:03 PM
Algae Grower

The Betta Trio uses glass or plexiglas to creates a path that the water has to flow through in the filter. In that way the water is pulled through all of the filter media. I just meant that you could make the filter dividers out of plexiglas.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ahh I see. Ok so what do you guys think of my plan? Dividers and the back panel will be made out of plexiglass or crafting mesh (which ever is available). Now for filtration what do you guys think? To me the idea of having a canister filter with a spray bar seems like a good idea, but idk.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

I would make it an All-In-One style tank if you are going to put in the back panel, then you may as well make the filter yourself. (just a few more cuts of plexiglas to make some baffles to direct the flow. For filter media I am using a prefilter sponge, Purigen, Ceramic beads in the intake section. Then the water is pulled through a sponge filter, then heater and then is the return pump.

If you wanted to use a canister filter you could skip the back panel, and just stick the input and output for the canister filter at one or the other end. as long as the canister has a high enough GPH rating it should filter fine.

Both filters basically work the same way.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh ok, maybe I will do the canister filter option, seems simple.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode