Random Thoughts on 75G Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Random Thoughts on 75G Build

Hello all and thanks for reading. I have a 55g planted. The tank journal is located here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...0-15-15-a.html
The build doesnt make me to happy. I had an issue with some driftwood that I hadn't secured well enough and the buoyancy lifted it up along with the substrate and cap in its area (it was buried). I cleaned it up as well as I could but I have silt and O+ everywhere. The canister pre-filter is already turning brown again from silt in the water column and I just cleaned it Monday. I need to redo this tank. The tank is home to two calvus cichlids and the experiment hasnt worked the way I wanted so I am reverting it back to a rock scape and moving all of my plants and driftwood to my 75g.

I have been looking at fish for the 75g and I really like the German Blue Ram. The water parameters I have are ph 8.4 and kh and gh 9 to 11 and sometimes higher. Pretty high. So I want to plan this build so I can stabilize the water chemistry for a month or so before I start stocking fish. Reading about these fish and the fact they like acidic water is an issue to over come since I have no ro system and dw would start to get pricey after awhile. Here is what I have come up with.

1) The substrate mix. 1/3 clay rich yard dirt, 1/3 laterite, 1/3 peat. This would give me good cec and ph buffering?

2) I have an old hob that would be perfect for buffering water. It has a large reservoir that would hold a fair amount of peat stuffed bags. This particular hob has a knob I can slow the flow some if needed. Maybe I can use this as well?

3) Other ways of buffering water like dead leaves which are in abundance right now. I like this option as well assuming I can use oak leaves I find. I think the leaves add a sense of natural to the tank.

Maybe this is a bad plan considering I dont have access to an ro system. Trying to maintain a chemistry in this environment might be difficult and I should stick with fish that prefer harder water.

I realize one of the drawbacks of peat is tannins but I don't mind, I like the look as long as it isn't to dark.

I am curious what those who have blue rams have as tank mates and how their aquarium has worked with that combo. I have been interested in cichlids for so long a lot of these fish are unfamiliar to me.

My main goal is to provide an environment that the fauna will breed in. If that happens I think I have provided as healthy an environment as possible which is always my goal, more so than looks so please critique away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode