Surface Agitation/CO2 Levels/Oil Slick - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Surface Agitation/CO2 Levels/Oil Slick

What would you guys do? I have a powerhead in my tank that I attached to a CO2 reactor that diffuses the CO2 perfectly, only problem now is that I have no surface agitation. CO2 is always at optimal levels now since there is no agitation. Oil Slick now builds up because no agitation. I am trying to save power. I don't want to point the outflow of the reactor up because my CO2 is coming out of there.

Optimize CO2 vs Oil Slick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Move the powerhead close to the water's surface and point it's output parallel to the suface so there are some ripples. Make sure the powerhead's output is complementing the filter's output. Clashing water circulation means more dead spots in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Algae Grower

What kind of filter do you have? If you use a canister filter you can use a surface skimmer, However, this will cause some loss in CO2.

Some surface agitation is beneficial as long as you don't over do it. It increased the amount of O2 present in the water column which will help your fish. I would make some surface ripple and slowly increase the CO2. The minimal cost of CO2 is outweighed by the benefits of increased gas exchange. Additionally this will help with the oilslick.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you keep the CO2 going at night? Could you point the powerhead up to ripple/break the surface at night to get rid of the slick, and point it back to normal in the mornings?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

You have 2 options:

You can turn your power-head upside down (intake towards surface) and bring its intake only as close to the surface as to see some flow coming along the surface towards the intake of the power-head. The power-head should not be drawing air. If you can cause even a slight surface flow towards the power head - you will get rid of the oil-slick. It will be a slow process but will not interfere with your optimized CO2.

Your next option is create a slight surface ripple using the return from your filter. The surface of the water should not be broken only you should be able to see some eddy or ripples. This will not disturb your CO2 optimization but will clear some portion of the oil-slick but not wholly as in my first suggestion.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Last edited by essabee; 10-30-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: ()
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9bug View Post
What kind of filter do you have? If you use a canister filter you can use a surface skimmer, However, this will cause some loss in CO2.

Some surface agitation is beneficial as long as you don't over do it. It increased the amount of O2 present in the water column which will help your fish. I would make some surface ripple and slowly increase the CO2. The minimal cost of CO2 is outweighed by the benefits of increased gas exchange. Additionally this will help with the oilslick.
I agree with c9bug, a surface skimmer would definitely help and wouldn't cause too much co2 to be lost. The Eheim 350 surface skim are the models I use and LOVE them. You do have to clean out their sponges occasionally but they work really well. Also I think there are some that can be used through the intake of a canister filter however I've never had much luck with these. Good luck!

40g Breeder "High-tech" tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode