Why are my plants dying? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 21
Why are my plants dying?

First time planted tank guy. Been doing non-planted for years.

I'm starting with a 30g tank, a single light bulb on top (17W T8 24" about 20 hours a day on time), no fish/heater/filter (temp 70), CaribSea Eco-Complete, Seachem Flourish Tabs, and some and some Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata.

The Sagittaria all started green and are turning yellow brown and not spreading.

Any ideas?
karrotman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Algae Grower
 
Barnhawk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
Are you using CO2 or Excel at all?
Barnhawk is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnhawk View Post
Are you using CO2 or Excel at all?
No, my idea was a low-tech but with CaribSea Eco-Complete and Seachem Flourish Tabs for the boost.
karrotman is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
roadmaster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Missouri united states
Posts: 5,576
Would reduce lighting period to ten hour's and source/read up on macro/micro nutrient's for planted aquarium's.
Am doubtful the Flourish tab's alone will support growth.(mostly iron I suspect)
One bulb you have would in my view be low light, but even at low light,,20 hour's is too much .
If you could get dual bulb T8 fixture, then ten hour's and nutrient's mentioned, would produce slow but steady growth.
roadmaster is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
randym's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northeast US
Posts: 651
You may not have enough light. Running it 20 hours a day doesn't make up for it not being bright enough.
randym is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
essabee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
Posts: 1,012
How long ago did you plant the Sagittaria and where did you get it from?

Your tank has quite low lights - you cannot make that up by long period of light. Keep your light on for 10 hours and if possible add another similar light.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
essabee is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 21
Thank you all for this insight. I thought more time would make up for the power. Should I purchase a Finnex+ LED fixture? Money is no object right now.
karrotman is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
roadmaster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Missouri united states
Posts: 5,576
Would in my view place you at lower end of medium light, and is where you want to be unless you are going to go with the gas.(CO2)
Way less issues than trying to use light alone to increase/improve growth.
Increased light intensity also increase's demand from plant's for nutrient's and some source of carbon (CO2).
If you cannot increase CO2 to match light energy then plant's are gonna struggle and algae which need's much less of everything will likely thrive.
Low tech NON CO2 is best achieved with low to moderate light.(And plant's suited for same)
Plant's can do well once they adapt, they just grow more slowly.
roadmaster is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Would in my view place you at lower end of medium light, and is where you want to be unless you are going to go with the gas.(CO2)
Way less issues than trying to use light alone to increase/improve growth.
Increased light intensity also increase's demand from plant's for nutrient's and some source of carbon (CO2).
If you cannot increase CO2 to match light energy then plant's are gonna struggle and algae which need's much less of everything will likely thrive.
Low tech NON CO2 is best achieved with low to moderate light.(And plant's suited for same)
Plant's can do well once they adapt, they just grow more slowly.
Sorry, I'm a bit new to this. So you are saying this light is the way to go if I don't want CO2?
karrotman is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
essabee's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotman View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit new to this. So you are saying this light is the way to go if I don't want CO2?
No. With double that light you would be in medium lit zone. You will not be needing CO2 enrichment.

With the present fixture you are in the low light zone.
karrotman and karrotman like this.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
essabee is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
klibs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (29/100%)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
You may not have enough light. Running it 20 hours a day doesn't make up for it not being bright enough.
This

1x T8 bulb seems like ultra low light status


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
klibs is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
No. With double that light you would be in medium lit zone. You will not be needing CO2 enrichment.

With the present fixture you are in the low light zone.
Great, do you have a good suggestion for 30 gallon tank light? How is the Finexx?
karrotman is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
plantetra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 380
Finnex is good but It might put you into high light depending on the height of your tank. If you are going for the planted 24/7+ then you might be able to reduce the intensity but you will lose the 24/7 feature.

What is your inhabitants and how many?

I see you have no fish so there is no fert except iron from root tabs. You might have to supply the plants with something. EcoComplete is inert.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by plantetra; 10-28-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Missed inhabitants
plantetra is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 21
I plan on adding fish as soon as I see my plants are surviving. Is this a bad idea?

I'm not sure about the tank dimensions (I'm at work). It's the traditional 29g you buy at a LFS.
karrotman is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Argus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
Finnex is good but It might put you into high light depending on the height of your tank. If you are going for the planted 24/7+ then you might be able to reduce the intensity but you will lose the 24/7 feature.
With my 30g 36x12x16 high tank one 36" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 worked out to be medium light. With a standard 10g tank a 20" produced bright light because the tank isn't as tall.

Quote:
What is your inhabitants and how many?

I see you have no fish so there is no fert except iron from root tabs. You might have to supply the plants with something. EcoComplete is inert.
Agree.

Also, how well is the tank cycled? Was a product like Tetra SafeStart Plus used with ammonia dosing?

Sagittaria subulata likes temps of 72-82F so 70 is a bit cold.
Argus is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome