Need Help: Death Tank Mystery - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Need Help: Death Tank Mystery

So I set up my third tank in July and despite the smashing success of my other two tanks this one is a pit of despair.

Details:
-20 gallon high
-AC 70 running AC 50 impeller/lowest flow setting
-100w Heater (consistent 79F temp--I check)
-Heavily planted with fast-growers exclusively
-All fish are drip acclimated over a period of 2 hours with initial quantity of water being tripled.

I did a fishless cycle for over a month and then added ten Harlequin Rasboras after drip acclimation. They did well for two weeks and then I added a Dwarf Gourami which promptly died three days later. Every successive day after that one or two Rasboras also died until there was only one left. Yes I should have quarantined the Dwarf; bad call. The single Rasbora lived happily in that tank for a month and a half until I added another Dwarf Gourami which also died three days later. Last week I rehomed the Rasbora into the big 55 (he schools with the Tetras now) so I could add guppies after doing a 50% water change. I added 8 guppies and now a week later I'm down to two. This tank kills everything I put into it but the fact that the one Rasbora was fine for six weeks throws a wrench into the works. Frankly I'm flummoxed--I have no idea what to do about this other than to tear down the entire tank and start over again. If it were a water quality issue my Water Sprite would be growing prodigiously but it isn't and I do a 25% water change every week. I even doubled up to twice a week for the guppies to no avail. If anyone has any ideas what could be going on I'd very much appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Don't think it's your tank; think it's your fish, more specifically, the dwarf gouramis had something. The guppies probably did too. I haven't been able to keep a pet store guppy alive for more than a month. The ones I have are the descendants of babies dropped prior to purchased guppies expiring.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Any info on pH, kh, gh, tds?
Injecting co2?

What substrate? Any rocks or anything that could be leeching anything harmful?
Any chance toxic chemicals are entering the tank on accident?

I've heard rare instances where decorations leeched things, but the water would cloud and they would give off a horrid smell.

The sole surviving rasbora, did it transfer any disease to any of the fish in the 55?
I've heard of Gourami's having a common disease, but not sure if it can infect other fish species as well. Any signs/symptoms of disease at all (visible indications or behavioral signs)?

I am thinking it has to be either disease or chemicals given how many die. Is kind of strange the lone rasbora would survive unaffected though, but hey you never know.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG View Post
Don't think it's your tank; think it's your fish, more specifically, the dwarf gouramis had something. The guppies probably did too.
I'm hoping it really is just a staggering run of bad luck. Unfortunately there were no disease symptoms for the majority of the fish. The initial Dwarf acted paralyzed before death and the Rasboras got a bit waxy-looking in the face but since then none of the others are exhibiting any symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Any info on pH, kh, gh, tds?
Injecting co2?
No CO2--low tech only. And here is a data on the tap water.

http://www.hogtownbrewers.org/brewsc...water-2012.pdf

Quote:
What substrate? Any rocks or anything that could be leeching anything harmful?
Any chance toxic chemicals are entering the tank on accident?

I've heard rare instances where decorations leeched things, but the water would cloud and they would give off a horrid smell.
Substrate is just plain PFS with a couple large pieces of Lava Rock and plants--no decorations. Tank is well covered and in a bedroom well away from anything toxic.

Quote:
The sole surviving rasbora, did it transfer any disease to any of the fish in the 55?
No, no visible signs of disease or distres have emerged. Maybe the LFS is to blame for all of this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Describe YOUR fishless cycle technique. That is exactly how you went abut fishless cycling?

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not much to it really. When I filled the tank 50% of the water was from a w/c on another tank and 50% was dechlor from the tap. I tossed in some Ramshorn snails which have steadily multiplied. I put a little bit of food in the empty tank each day when I fed the other fish and didn't do water changes for the first 3 weeks. This was killing the plants so I did water changes once a week for the last 3 weeks. Then I added the 10 Rasboras which were fine for the first two weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode