22G Long Stocking Suggestion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post 22G Long Stocking Suggestion

Hi all,

I'm starting a new 22L (36"x12"x12") and looking for stocking suggestion. It will be mid-tech moderately planted (Iwagumi ish). I'm thinking about stocking mostly small fishes and a few mid size one.

My current list

Let me know any suggestion of if you see any problem with the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151027_140623.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	535818  

Last edited by roostertech; 11-02-2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Add pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
Hi all,

I'm starting a new 22L (36"x12"x12") and looking for stocking suggestion. It will be mid-tech moderately planted (Iwagumi ish). I'm thinking about stocking mostly small fishes and a few mid size one.

My current list
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Honey Gourami
4 Panda Cory
4 Peppered Cory
5 Rasbora (Harlequin?)
5 Zebra Danio
5 Ember Tetra
5 Bentos Tetra
4 Oto

Other candidates: neon/cardinal tetra (already have lots of them in other tank)

Let me know any suggestion of if you see any problem with the list.

That sounds like a LOT for a 22 gallon?

Edit : I spoke too soon. I punched it all into aqadvisor and it shows the stocking level to be right at 106%, however it does also state the Bolivian Ram is too aggressive to co-exist with the Ember Tetras.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I ran it through AQ advisor and saw the same thing. But after searching the forum, it seems like Rams and Ember gets along ok?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You've got a whole lot going on and at the same time not quite enough. I think you'd be best suited trying to narrow that list down a bit and increase the number of fish per species. Almost everything other than the ram and the gourami want to be kept in larger groups when possible. Maybe keep 6 of the same cory, and choose either 1 group of tetras, 1 group of rasboras or 1 group of danios and keep 8-10 or so of them.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
You've got a whole lot going on and at the same time not quite enough. I think you'd be best suited trying to narrow that list down a bit and increase the number of fish per species. Almost everything other than the ram and the gourami want to be kept in larger groups when possible. Maybe keep 6 of the same cory, and choose either 1 group of tetras, 1 group of rasboras or 1 group of danios and keep 8-10 or so of them.
Some nerites and shrimp would be great clean up crew as well!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a colony of cherry shrimp in my other tank that I could bring some over. However I'm not going to plant this tank very dense to leave swimming room so I'm worry that the shrimp won't make it very far. Between cory and oto, may be trumpet snail (jury is still out whether I want trumpet snail in here) there is enough clean up crew?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added a doodle of my scaping plan.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Yeah I pondered about that. I'm also trying to create a mixture of color and swim speed. I could overstock a bit to increase the school size. I'm narrowing down on filtration, probably will go with Eheim Ecco 130.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it was me I would stick with just one kind of cory. I would buy at least 6. Other than that looks like a good mix.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm also considering swapping something out for Forktail rainbowfish but I heard they can be nippy. Would they do ok in community tank like this?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd stick with one type of cory, 6, and one type of tetra, 20~. I think it would look better in the end. As for the Ram, they definitely will eat every shrimp you put in there even with a few hiding spots. My Ram is pretty aggressive towards other bottom swimmers too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I'd stick with one type of cory, 6, and one type of tetra, 20~. I think it would look better in the end. As for the Ram, they definitely will eat every shrimp you put in there even with a few hiding spots. My Ram is pretty aggressive towards other bottom swimmers too.
Would the Ram be a problem for Otos you think?

Edit the list with new inputs
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Would the Ram be a problem for Otos you think?

No- Bolivian Rams are pretty peaceful.

Bump:
Quote:

6 ottocinclus

6 small cories- all the same type

6-10 rummy nose tetras or 6-10 cardinal tetras

6 hatchet fish

pair of bolivian rams

Note all fish listed are south american. Go with some plants native to south america as well. Use a darker substrate. Run your temperature at around 78 degrees. Enjoy!

Last edited by steveo; 10-30-2015 at 01:38 AM. Reason: update
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think your Oto count is a tad high at 6, steveo. Just an opinion, but I think 6 is a lot of otos in a 20g tank. I only have 3 and I think that is pushing it for natural food sources.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
No- Bolivian Rams are pretty peaceful.

Bump:

6 ottocinclus

6 small cories- all the same type

6-10 rummy nose tetras or 6-10 cardinal tetras

6 hatchet fish

pair of bolivian rams

Note all fish listed are south american. Go with some plants native to south america as well. Use a darker substrate. Run your temperature at around 78 degrees. Enjoy!

Ha. This is close to what I'll eventually have in my 38-gallon, which has the same footprint with 7-8 inches more height. I agree with the pair of Bolivian rams and 6 otos. I think you could have a bigger school of tetras especially if you pick a smaller species. 12 should be fine, more if you go with green neons (or tucanos, which is get in a heartbeat if not for the price). Also you can get more corys if you stick with a smaller species. 12+ if you go with pygmaeus or habrosus. They look way more fun in numbers.

As for hatchetfish, only get them if you're prepared to keep a tight lid on the tank. If not, consider something like Nannostomus eques (hockey stick pencilfish) instead.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I think your Oto count is a tad high at 6, steveo. Just an opinion, but I think 6 is a lot of otos in a 20g tank. I only have 3 and I think that is pushing it for natural food sources.

Could the OP supplement with algae wafers?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode