Planning to Upgrade to a bigger tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Planning to Upgrade to a bigger tank

Hi All. I already have a 15 gallons planted tank. I am planning to have upgrade to a bigger one probably 30 or 50 gallons.

Any guides on how to upgrade?
Below is the picture of my current tank.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5738.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	535674
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

How long have you had your present tank? By "upgrade" what do you mean - replace your present tank with a bigger tank - move from lowtech to hightech - ...............................

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Planning to replace it with a bigger tank.

Current tank is almost 2 years old(My very first tank). Made several changes since I started it. From filter, Co2 and lights. I also did several resets already. I have limited options for plants and types of fish in the current setup.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the new tank. If your keeping it simple and just adding to what you already have, I'd suggest getting a filter seeded by connecting it to your tank and setting up the other tank with some of your tank water. Are the tanks going in the same place? Are you going high or low tech with the next one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Not really sure for low tech or high tech one. But planning to have an aquarium soil for substrate, a good lighting currently I have flexi-M, canister filter and compressed CO2. Location would be an issue since I have a limited space, so probably the 2 tanks would be in different places.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Would you like to have only your larger tank displayed and use the present one under it as a sump?

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sounds more like your adding a second larger tank. I' djusts seed some water or filter media and start the second one cycling.

Standard 55 gallon club... We need one of those.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just wondering if you want to move everything in to the new tank or start over and keep the 15 gallon tank.

The 50 gallon tank is a nice size just about the right height to not take to much light. You can usually get a 40 gallon at Pet Co for 1.00 per gallon sale. It's the same size as the 50 gallon but 2" shorter.

I switch out my tank and reset it up in new tank. It took about 3 hours it was a lot of work. But I lost no fish or plants.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Planning to move everything to new tank plus additional plants and fish.Is it not dangerous to introduce everything in the new tank? Planning do it stages. Not everything at one time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Doing it in stages could be more trouble and more cost as much of what you now have could be lost.

What substrate is in the present tank? What substrate are you planning for your new tank? Has the present substrate any place in your new tank?

Will you be using a single new large filter for your new tank; or have the present filter, with or without another filter to supplement it?

Will you have additional plants for your new tank - if so do you intend to procure them at the time of setting the new tank up? If you intend to add new plants later you might need to procure some easy, fast-growing plants for early planting to fill the empty spaces for prevention of algae.

Are you planning to transfer your present lights to new tank and add some more - or get complete new lights?

Everything depends upon your plans - give a thought.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode