Starting over... a 55 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting over... a 55 gallon

I have set up this tank twice now, once it was pretty successful and I enjoyed it, second time, not so much. So I want to take what I have learned and apply it this third (and hopefully final!) set up.

My two favorite parts are the plants (duh?) and watching a school of fish enjoy the tank. I don't require a fully stocked fishtank, though in the past I've gotten sucked in by the "one more kind of fish for the bottom of the tank" one more for the top, oh ohoh ... I really like THAT fish, I need one (oh wait schooling?) FIVE of thoSE!!! (etc.)

So I think I want to do more of an iwagumi style tank with one school of small neons or maybe rasbora heti. Something like that.

So what I have:
55 gallon tank and stand (duh?)
Fluval 306 canister filter (need to buy all new media)
Heater (I own two but I'm hoping to only use one)

I need suggestions for :
Substrate (I don't mind cost usually... I'd rather pay more upfront and have what works best than constantly fiddle with it)

Stone (falling in love with the videos and scapes on thegreenmachine website) but is there a place within US to order?

Tips on how to achieve a more simple iwagumi-esqe scape with a long skinny 55 gallon tank (I read this is harder?)

Are there different pipes and intake/outtake things for the canister filter that I should be considering? The stuff that comes with the filter looks pretty ugly and most of the tanks I love have those glass intakes/outtakes and I don't even know where they put the heater?! or CO2 stuff? Any tips on this front would be appreciated as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well, i am pretty new to planted tanks, and im not sure about the styles of tanks, but i think i can answer your questions.
Depending on how much you want to spend, i have heard that ADA Amazonia is a good substrate, Eco-complete is cheaper and is also a good option.
The people that have the glass intake/outtakes are using everything inline. I use an inline reactor for co2 but i stuck with the stock SunSun spray bar.
Sorry i couldnt be of more help, good luck with your tank!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Iwagumi style is heavily dependent on the aesthetics of the layout and of the rocks themselves. Since an aquarium is somewhat like a picture, you can apply the rules of composition used in painting and photography. You can find a number of web pages that talk about the Iwagumi style. To go beyond what they offer you could Google: "photography composition" "painting composition" and "dynamic symmetry." Dynamic symmetry covers things like the golden triangle, and other composition techniques. There are schemes that will help you with the composition of different proportion rectangles, such as a long tank.

"Out of all aquascaping styles, the Iwagumi aquascape looks the easier to accomplish because of the simplicity of its appearance, but the truth is it is the most difficult to obtain and even harder to maintain. - See more at: The Iwagumi Layout: An Introduction | Aquascaping Love"

Ryuoh Stone is one of the most appealing stones available outside of Japan, but it is limestone and can raise pH, GH, and KH.

Sometimes you can find interesting rocks at landscape supply yards. If you put a few drops of vinegar on a rock and it fizzes, you probably don't want it in your aquarium.

I like CaribSea Peace River Gravel because it has the right grain size for most plants and I like the look of it. However, I don't know if it is best for carpet plants. There maybe better choices.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for replying! I didn't realize that stuff was available on Amazon! (Amazonia)

Bump: Thank you for replying. I'm sort of going back and forth now between the iwagumi style and maybe something with wood. THE DECISIONS!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by milbran220 View Post
Thanks for replying! I didn't realize that stuff was available on Amazon! (Amazonia)

Bump: Thank you for replying. I'm sort of going back and forth now between the iwagumi style and maybe something with wood. THE DECISIONS!
Project Ryuboku

Mopani driftwood is readily available.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oooo! That looks cool!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode