What do y'all think about this setup? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40 gallon breeder and 10 gallon quarantine. I built the stand, everything is gorilla wood glued together with 3 inch screws. All in all I spent $80 building the stand. Ran led rope light for underlighting. It has two 6 plug timed surge protectors. Getting 80 lbs of Caribsea eco complete substrate and a finnex planted+ 24/7 to light the 40 gallon this week. Each tank will be backed with black static cling background. The 40 gallon will have a piece of Malaysian driftwood along with a cool synthetic rock. Each tank has its own hang over the back filter to match the tank size, as well as a Biosponge filter in the tank for each size. 10 gallon quarantine will have a perfecto hood with built in leds, and the 40 gallon has a perfecto glass hood. Each tank will have eheim heater to match their size. I am waiting for all the products I have ordered from amazon. I am stocking the 40 gallon with about 10 different kinds of plants and plan on dosing it with Co2 as I have a 5 gallon with co2 and love it. Any thing I'm missing before I get it running?

This is the setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151025_144514_1445803247023.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	534706  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-26-2015 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can you post a picture of the stand?

What fish are you thinking about?

Bump: Gee! Did you use thiotimoline to post that?

I am concerned if the upper tank weight is not being directed straight to the floor, but is zig-zagging through screws and multiple pieces of wood.

Last edited by Diana; 10-25-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: *
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I posted a picture above. I can take a close up of the stand if you want me to. I really don't know what kind of fish I want. I know I'll have a little while to think and research it while it's cycling.

Here is a view from the front underneath the 40 gallon. I have double 2◊4s in the back, with decorative 2◊3s on the front of 2◊4s in the front. I used clamps, Gorilla brand wood glue and plenty of very strong wood screws. on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151025_150908_1445803786269.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	534722  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-26-2015 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice.

I glad to see the q/t that will save you lot frustration. It's always better to have plan and not rush in to things. Got the plants order yet?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have it running planted now. Needing some advise on cycling a planted tank though. I'll post another thread for that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151105_063000_1447368807672.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	544089  

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You're counting on screws to hold all the weight there. That's never a good idea. Wood to wood to floor. Unless you're using Simpsons.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Planted Member

Yeah I would be very concerned about the stand. Throw some 2x4s running in between the top frame and the bottom frame the take the load off of screws and wood glue. Wood screws put in shear like that likely won't hold that much weight. Much better off playing it safe rather than having 40 gallons of water and all your hard work on the floor. Tank looks good btw! Here is an example of my stand, notice how tight the gaps are between the upper frame, the upright and the lower frame, I had to pound them in with a rubber mallet. You will want to do the same to distribute the weight properly.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the feedback! I understand many of your concerns with my stand not having 2◊4's to the ground. Believe me, I am no stranger to construction as I build houses for a living. Haha I didn't want the standard tank stand look, so I came up with a solution. As many of you know, screws will not hold up the weight of 40 gallons of water. As a carpenter I know how to make a glued seem as strong if not stronger than a single piece of wood. It takes heat, lots of glue and many many clamps. I should have documented the build but I didn't, I'm sure that would reassure many on here that it is in fact as strong if not stronger than 2◊4's. I used an entire bottle of gorilla glue making just the part under the the 40 gallon, so that tells you how much glue I used. Haha Like I said, I completely understand y'alls concerns but I do not build anything that i believe is unsafe, at home or work. And if I had the clientele, I would build and sell these with a 100% lifetime guarantee that the stands structural integrity is by no means compromised. Thanks again for all the feedback. I am just starting this hobby and love it so far so I'll be posting regular posts about my tank, so keep an eye out and keep commenting.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I believe they mean the outside perimeter (rim) of the tank should be resting on wood that is going directly to the ground. It appears at the corners you have the tank sitting on a "cripple stud" (can't really thing of what to call it, the short piece of wood at the corner attached to the full legs) that doesn't extend all the way to the floor, and so the tank weight is being exerted on what little amount of screws and/or glue that are between that "cripple stud" and full length leg and is therefore not really being supported by the actual wood, rather just screws and glue (unless that glue essentially makes the two pieces of wood "one" piece, but that short is pretty short). But from your last post it seems you are aware of this and you still do believe the stand is more than capable. I am not a carpenter and have relied solely on glue, so I don't have the experience to tell you otherwise. Just restating the caution if it was unclear what was being mentioned. Carry on.

Anyways, are the tanks set up yet?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallica77505 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! I understand many of your concerns with my stand not having 2◊4's to the ground. Believe me, I am no stranger to construction as I build houses for a living. ...
I dont see why you would have a problem. I have built quit a few stands similar to your design, the only major difference being that I used machine bolts or carriage bolts to connect the legs to the frame of the stand. They worked for many years until I took them apart for one reason or another. I still have one of them down the basement.

Most people that are not knowledgeable over build the stand to an amazing degree. I suggest the look at a typical wood stand and see that most of them are made of 1x4s and plywood, yet hold very large tanks.

The only additional thing I'd suggest to everyone is to finish your stand with a few coats of spar varnish or polyurethane.

Last edited by DaveK; 11-15-2015 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Fix spelling error
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think the stand is fine almost over kill if u ask me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode