"HELP" With New 65 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
"HELP" With New 65 Gallon

Hi All,,

I am upgrading my 28 Gallon Nano to a new 65 Gall tank. The tank and what I have so far are as follows:

Tank: 65 Gallon 36"x18"x25"
Hood: Coralife "Aqualight" 36" with 2 T5's which are NON HO 6700k and Colormax bulbs.
Filter: Fulval "Aquaclear" 70
Heater: Aqueon Pro 200W
Substrate: Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix capped with Black Diamond blasting sand
Aquascape: Driftwood (Main focal piece approx. 24"x9"x19")and petrified wood

Plants so far:

1. Anubias
2. Anubias Nana
3. Some Corkscrew
4. Nesia
5. Wisteria
6. Hornwort
7. Java Fern Narrow leaf
8. Some Dwarf Grass

Most of these are from my existing tank. All are small to med bunches.

Inhabitants: (Those I can see )

3- Brilliant Rasboras
3- Harlequin Rasboras
3- XRay Tetras
1- Blue Ram
1- Yellow Ram
1- Honey Dwarf Gourami
1- Red Dwarf Gourami Blue Color
1- Yellow/Orange Swordtail
1- Zebra Tetra but not a Tetra Look a Like. It's peaceful just can't remember it's true name cause of my CRS
I also have a few Octos but not sure how many cause the really blend in I think there are 2-4 left

Later I plan to add a couple more Rams and Rasboras along with a school of RummyNose, 2-3 small angels and some Cherry Shrimp

I plan to have the old tank broke down and the new tank in place this week. I am soaking the new big piece of driftwood in the bathtub and I will begin rinsing the substrate components tomorrow.
I cycled a 10 Gallon tank to temporarily house the fish and plants until the new tank is ready.
I will be using water from the existing tank along with some of the filter media from it as well to put in the 65. The rest will be RODI water I will make from my 4 filter system.

So now that y'all see what I have I have a few questions.

1. Would it be OK to put the driftwood with their slate bottoms in the tank first and build the substrate around them instead of after to cut down on the mess doing it after the dirt is down?
2. I want to have enough plants to keep the eco/biological system working well but not so many that they overpower the tank. I really want to keep a good portion on the substrate, driftwood and rocks in view. So do I have enough already or can I still add more slow growing plants? I know that what I'm doing is a "Walstad" type tank but I will have the HOB Aquaclear running as well.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ed

Last edited by CPD1029; 10-25-2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Changed title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD1029 View Post
Hi All,,

I am upgrading my 28 Gallon Nano to a new 65 Gall tank. The tank and what I have so far are as follows:

Tank: 65 Gallon 36"x18"x25"
Hood: Coralife "Aqualight" 36" with 2 T5's which are NON HO 6700k and Colormax bulbs.
Filter: Fulval "Aquaclear" 70
Heater: Aqueon Pro 200W
Substrate: Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix capped with Black Diamond blasting sand
Aquascape: Driftwood (Main focal piece approx. 24"x9"x19")and petrified wood

Plants so far:

1. Anubias
2. Anubias Nana
3. Some Corkscrew
4. Nesia
5. Wisteria
6. Hornwort
7. Java Fern Narrow leaf
8. Some Dwarf Grass

Most of these are from my existing tank. All are small to med bunches.

Inhabitants: (Those I can see )

3- Brilliant Rasboras
3- Harlequin Rasboras
3- XRay Tetras
1- Blue Ram
1- Yellow Ram
1- Honey Dwarf Gourami
1- Red Dwarf Gourami Blue Color
1- Yellow/Orange Swordtail
1- Zebra Tetra but not a Tetra Look a Like. It's peaceful just can't remember it's true name cause of my CRS
I also have a few Octos but not sure how many cause the really blend in I think there are 2-4 left

Later I plan to add a couple more Rams and Rasboras along with a school of RummyNose, 2-3 small angels and some Cherry Shrimp

I plan to have the old tank broke down and the new tank in place this week. I am soaking the new big piece of driftwood in the bathtub and I will begin rinsing the substrate components tomorrow.
I cycled a 10 Gallon tank to temporarily house the fish and plants until the new tank is ready.
I will be using water from the existing tank along with some of the filter media from it as well to put in the 65. The rest will be RODI water I will make from my 4 filter system.

So now that y'all see what I have I have a few questions.

1. Would it be OK to put the driftwood with their slate bottoms in the tank first and build the substrate around them instead of after to cut down on the mess doing it after the dirt is down?
2. I want to have enough plants to keep the eco/biological system working well but not so many that they overpower the tank. I really want to keep a good portion on the substrate, driftwood and rocks in view. So do I have enough already or can I still add more slow growing plants? I know that what I'm doing is a "Walstad" type tank but I will have the HOB Aquaclear running as well.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ed
Understand that the Walstad method relies upon plants to filter making extra filtration unnecessary and possibly detrimental according to her research. I posted a link to some of her research in a thread titled, "Plants vs. Filters" if you want to read up on it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Understand that the Walstad method relies upon plants to filter making extra filtration unnecessary and possibly detrimental according to her research. I posted a link to some of her research in a thread titled, "Plants vs. Filters" if you want to read up on it.
I have read most all I could find but I will look at what you recommend, thanks.

The reason I'm doing both is that I don't want to rely on just plants because as I understand it anyway, it would mean having a "Jungle" which I and "she who must be obeyed" don't really want.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD1029 View Post
I have read most all I could find but I will look at what you recommend, thanks.

The reason I'm doing both is that I don't want to rely on just plants because as I understand it anyway, it would mean having a "Jungle" which I and "she who must be obeyed" don't really want.
She prefers the jungle look because it's inline with her no fuss approach, but there's no reason her method can't be used to create something more visually appealing like an Takashi Amano style tank. I think there are members that use her method to produce such tanks with visual appeal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey lets start up a journal with lots of pics. I'll be looking for it. Nothing better than a new tank is there?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Hey lets start up a journal with lots of pics. I'll be looking for it. Nothing better than a new tank is there?
Sure isn't and I will be posting pictures of the progress. Just waiting a couple of days to get it it set in place rather than pictures of parts,etc.

I'll get 'em up I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
She prefers the jungle look because it's inline with her no fuss approach, but there's no reason her method can't be used to create something more visually appealing like an Takashi Amano style tank. I think there are members that use her method to produce such tanks with visual appeal.
Yes I have seen them.

Last edited by CPD1029; 10-25-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typing error

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode