2Likes
  • 2 Post By essabee
  • 2 Post By flight50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Little white bug like things on glass

After setting up my 29 gallon dirted tank i just recently started noticing these little white bugs in the glass and plants. In assuming it came from the dirt or plants. I dont have any fish in the tank yet but would like to soon. If anyone knows how to get rid of them that would be great. Im not sure if this is in the right forum.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

-DAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Seed Shrimp?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's my first guess too. Harmless critters.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Free Fish Food

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yep, the fish will eat them. Most likely some sort of copepods or amphipod.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, thanks

-DAN

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yep, thought of seed shrimp as well.

But any chance they could be itty bitty baby snails? In the second pic, the ones in the middle look a bit cone shaped.
But I bet that just the picture is blurred a bit and I am still pretty sure they are seed shrimp because of the color. Harmless to anything and are a free live food source!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Apparently, that is a good sign of water quality.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Yep, thought of seed shrimp as well.

But any chance they could be itty bitty baby snails? In the second pic, the ones in the middle look a bit cone shaped.
But I bet that just the picture is blurred a bit and I am still pretty sure they are seed shrimp because of the color. Harmless to anything and are a free live food source!
I don't think they are snails, although i have snails in that tank as well, when i used a magfloat then swam through the water.

-DAN

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's a type of pod, to be more exact an Ostrapod more than likely. They are football shaped clam like critters. Here is a link to a description. Clam Shrimp Ostracod Fs. I have them in my tank and I put it underneath the microscope awhile back. It's the same critter from the link in which I posted a few pics and even a video earlier this year or last year on another person's thread. They eat waste in the tank and are harmless. Many people mistake them for water fleas but that would be incorrect. In large numbers they are rather unsightly. Having a cleaner tank and having routine tank maintenance will lower their numbers though. I think my cories also make a snack of them if they can catch them. They can scoot around fairly quick when they need to.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
It's a type of pod, to be more exact an Ostrapod more than likely. They are football shaped clam like critters. Here is a link to a description. Clam Shrimp Ostracod Fs. I have them in my tank and I put it underneath the microscope awhile back. It's the same critter from the link in which I posted a few pics and even a video earlier this year or last year on another person's thread. They eat waste in the tank and are harmless. Many people mistake them for water fleas but that would be incorrect. In large numbers they are rather unsightly. Having a cleaner tank and having routine tank maintenance will lower their numbers though. I think my cories also make a snack of them if they can catch them. They can scoot around fairly quick when they need to.
Do they eat plants by any chance? I have something munching on the leaves that are closest to the water surface.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nope. I mentioned they eat waste in the tank.To be more exact they more than likely feed on dead matter both plant and inhabitants and algae. I see them the most when I have algae on the glass. Otherwise they stay in the substrate. Under the scope I observed them hanging around debris/mulm. They probably feed on something within. I look at them like mother natures good ole ants. They will break down anything,lol. Some of the microscopic organisms in our tank, eat other microscope organisms as well. A fish tank whether its FW or SW is truly its own eco system. It's pretty cool to see all life that is in our tanks.
thedood and thedood like this.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode