emersed tank options - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
emersed tank options

I have a few containers growing emersed monte carlo. I also have a few pieces of driftwood with java moss, some clippings of s repens and some planned emersed fissidens fontanus on lava rock. The FF will go in my tank once it gets going and attaches to the lava rock.

I figured instead of having the tank (10 gallon) just be an emersed grow out tank, couldn't I create a more pleasing environment and create a sort of vivarium. I imagine the biggest obstacle is how to place the driftwood with the java moss and if it will grow in a humid environment.

Any thoughts on this? I guess mainly concerning the driftwood and java moss since it will not be submersed.

Thanks,
iso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You definitely can create an environment to do exactly what you're saying.

What you need to do is make sure that the enclosure is heated so the temps don't drop too much at night, and that the enclosure is majority sealed with a little vent to allow gas exchange/let hot air out not to cook the plants.

If you want to make it simple, get a 10 gallon (for example) and have a piece of glass cut to fit the dimensions of the opening on top, save shy of 1/4" Once you place the lights and water in there you will notice that the enclosure sweats on the inside. If you place a hygrometer in there you should notice high 70's to mid 80 percent humidity. Problem with that is you won't see much in the tank in a display sort of way due to the sweating. If you want to get around this you will have to get a mister and add more ventilation. This adds to cost, but you will be able to see everything without sweating. FYI mister is not the same thing as a fogger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks Tihsho,

Do you think the driftwood needs to be sitting in a small pool of water or will misting be sufficient.

Will the moss change form at all in a submersed setup?

iso

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Driftwood sitting in water would be a smart idea for one reason, it will absorb water and wick it to all the plants attached. Otherwise you will have to do a lot of misting.

Moss does have an emersed form, so be prepared for it changing on you.

|||
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode