Cookie Jar Tank Help - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cookie Jar Tank Help

I have not had a tank in a long time and the last one was a 29 gal community tank. I miss having fish and decided to do something small and manageable. Please tell me what you think and any advice you have for me on my new 2 gal cookie jar tank.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0972.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	532402  

Name:	IMG_0973.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	532410  

Name:	IMG_0974.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	532418  

Name:	IMG_0975.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	532426  

Name:	IMG_0976.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	532434  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Those are awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
loulew28 and loulew28 like this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hello! What do you have in there?
I see soil maybe, gravel, pretty betta (shhh don't tell him I said that), shrimp (looks like one is berried) and a mystery snail.
Ludwigia? And an Amazon sword, maybe a sprig of wisteria? And a cute Marimo.

Congrats on your first post!
Tip- pull up the Amazon sword a touch, so the crown is a bit more exposed. And don't set your heart on keeping it in this tank, it would outgrow it

How are you lighting the jar and how long per day?

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Forgot the chocolate chip cookies

This li'l Abner echoes what Daisy Mae said.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have organic soil, white aquarium sand, a pretty betta I didn't plan on but couldn't leave him at Walmart in that filthy little cup, 5 ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail. You got the plants exactly right. I pulled up the crown of the Amazon Sword, thank you for that tip. I will take it out when it gets to big, I got it for the betta. I meant for this to be a shrimp tank only and would like to get some more colorful shrimp to add.
I have a desk lamp sitting next to the jar at this time for lighting. I turn it on at about 7 am and turn it off when I go to bed between 9 and 10 pm. Any help on better lighting would be appreciated.
I have a Tetra filter in there that is made for 1-3 gallon tanks. I have it set at a really low flow so there isn't a lot of current in there.
Should a get Catappa or Banana leaves, more hiding places, or more plants for the animals in there?
Thanks again to all of you for you kind words and help.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Desk lamps work quite well for lighting. I use one for a bubble bowl with a betta (also sponge filter )

I'm guessing there's a CFL bulb in there? What is the actual watts, what colour (looks cool white or daylight in the photo), and is the bulb oriented sideways or vertical? Is there a metallic reflector for the lamp or white reflector? This all just gives us a clue as to light intensity.

For duration, invest in a timer, less than ten dollars and you're golden. Set it for 6-8 hours to start. You can split this up into two periods, so you can enjoy your fish while you are out (that is, if you are out in the daytime). Just make sure to set the "on" period for 3 hours minimum so the plants can photosynthesize.

Banana leaves, etc are optional. Regular water changes are more important. Esp since your tank is still cycling. Probably twice a week for the first month-ish then weekly when the cycle is finished. Unless you're testing, in which case you can use the testing to determine water change.

More plants would help during the cycling period, even if you just float the stem plants, so they would suck up the nitrogenous by-products that would be harmful to your livestock. Wisteria is great for this, or floating plants like salvinia or frogbit. Even duckweed.

Daisy Mae V
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

Post some update pictures as the process furthers. I'm no aquarium expert, im learning, but i love following peoples tank process. I currently have a 2 gallon bowl with a betta and 2 ghost shrimp with some snails. I know its frowned upon but its just got an air stone for water agitation rather than a pump :\ with a desk lamp. Havent had any problems yet.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right now it is a 40 watt type A lamp, daylight, sideways, with a white reflector. I will get a timer to set.

I use RO water and test. Right now everything is right where it should be. Nitrate, Nitrite =0, Total Hardness =25, Total Alkalinity =120. and pH =7.2
I plan on testing every other day to make sure it all stays where it should be.

I was thinking of the leaves as a benefit for the shrimp but didn't know if they really like them or not. Some sites say they use them as a food source.

I like the idea of floating plants so I will need to order some. There aren't any LFS around here. All we have that is under an hour and a half away is Walmart so I will look online to see what I can find.

Does anyone have suggestions or good places to get shrimp or plants from?

Bump:
Quote:
Post some update pictures as the process furthers. I'm no aquarium expert, im learning, but i love following peoples tank process. I currently have a 2 gallon bowl with a betta and 2 ghost shrimp with some snails. I know its frowned upon but its just got an air stone for water agitation rather than a pump :\ with a desk lamp. Havent had any problems yet.
I will be happy to do that. I was going to do just an air stone too, but the filter was on sale and I thought I would try it. It actually works pretty well and it is super quiet. I am a little worried that the shrimp could get sucked up into the tube so I need to figure out how to cover it. I need to buy some pantyhose I guess.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Just checked out the bulb, it's incandescent so more energy goes towards heat than light.
The heat is fine if your tank is unheated (Bettas prefer 74-80, closer to 80 is better). What's the temp in your tank/room? Might need a heater if the temp is too low.

If you want a more efficient bulb, you can swap to a 13W spiral bulb, or a 9W (or slightly lower wattage) LED bulb.
See reply#21 in this thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...tml#post837592

Daisy Mae V
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulew28 View Post
Bump:

I will be happy to do that. I was going to do just an air stone too, but the filter was on sale and I thought I would try it. It actually works pretty well and it is super quiet. I am a little worried that the shrimp could get sucked up into the tube so I need to figure out how to cover it. I need to buy some pantyhose I guess.
Yeah i understand that. If i found one on sale, i'd probably be willing to get one. Can you post a picture of the whole jar? and a top view maybe? Trying to see how your filter fits on yours jar.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was just checking out heaters on Ebay. Right now it is 76 in the tank but with winter coming it won't stay there. I plan on getting a 10W submersible heater.

I will get a better bulb tomorrow. I had bought a clip on LED light in town today but it was awful. There was just a tiny patch of light in the tank even though it was supposed to be "wide array". I will use it as a very expensive book light.

That reply #21 is really interesting and extremely helpful.

I am getting more excited about this tank all the time. I can't wait to add some more plants and get the lighting right.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have a marina 8W heater (the pre-set kind) in a cylinder vase (just over two gallon actual water content) and it is keeping the temp at 77-78. Our house is constant at 70. Yeah, I have two vases with bettas (you've probably guessed by now).
I expect that 10W heater would be plenty.

Daisy Mae V
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are the pics. The filter just clips on the side and I use the lid to hold it in place. It was $10.48 at Walmart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	532554  

Name:	IMG_0978.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	532562  

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	532570  

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since space is limited as well as keeping it more open, perhaps look at heat pads? For small jars, there may be one that would set just under the jar? a search may turn up all kinds and sizes which you might like. I recently did an orb and used light bulbs arranged underneath to avoid the tangle or cords, etc. The light bulbs, paired with a small, cheap ($15) digital controller seem to be working fine.

Some ideas to borrow if you wish?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...challenge.html
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh how I wish I was as talented as you. I would love to have a tank that you couldn't see anything. I am hoping to get more plants in my tank to at least hide the filter a little more. I did purchase a heater and hope it will be here soon. The temp outside dropped and the tank is at 70 tonight. I am not ready to turn on the furnace yet. I will look into the heat pads though as that sounds like a nice alternative.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode