What Direction should I go in. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What Direction should I go in.

This is my first post so firstly, Hello. It really is a pleasure to be here. I've been lurking on the site for a while but I'm not sure if this is the right section but here goes.

A combination of circumstances means my tank is in dire need of a revamp. I've never had any clear direction or goal for the tank I just love the hobby and so have tried different things with varying degrees of success but right now my filter is and has been busted for a few months. Low turn over rate has resulted in various algae blooms but having dealt with algae before that's not my major concern. What I'm here for is clear direction on where to take my tank. I like the idea of a Dutch but I'm having trouble with my plant list and usually buy plants which should do ok in my tank but fail while others which should fail are absolutely fine. Some stats...

Tank: 180L / 47.5gal
Lighting: 2X 35 W Day and Nature 9000K And 4100K
Filter: just ordered Ehiem Pro 3 2073 (for tanks upto 350L)
CO2: Pressurized
Plants: Hygro mini, Micranthemum Monte-Carlo, 1 large Hygro
Ferts: EI
Fauna: 5-6 Bee shrimp, 6 rasbora.
Substrate Eco Complete.

Oddly enough the Monte carlo carpet while not in the best state is still ok despite me not adding ferts for months on account of the broken/low turn over filter.

Primarily a plant list which will do well with my setup. And also a list which has a diverse range of colour.

Please excuse the essay. Though I hope it conveys my genuine need for help and ability to take direction.

Phos

Last edited by Phospomus; 10-23-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Substrate added to tank stats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had it suggested to me that I should perhaps move this to the plants section.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

You have not told us what substrate you are using.

Is your personal preference is a planted tank with emphasis on the plants - absolutely no hard-scapes and indifferent to fishes

Or is it more of plants as some of the rest?

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My apologies about the substrate, I'm using eco complete and have added that to the op. It has a decent carpet of monte-carlo which I believe is a hybrid of HC. Whatever the case it is quite resilient and was growing quite fast at one point. I also have Bee shrimp which are berried, I'm maintaining a tds under 400 which for these London Bred Bee shrimp seems to be ok. The Rasboras can be removed to a smaller backup tank and I'm totally open to anything else.

I'd like it to be heavily planted but also have an active small fish which are 100% shrimp safe. With the new filter (due to arrive on monday) Being for aquariums up to 350L then once things have settled get a small center piece apisto borelli pair as I've kept them in the past successfully with shrimp too. But right now a colorful planted tank is the main focus. Once I get that sorted and everything stable I'll add fish.

I was thinking about a school of Pseudomuguil Gertrudae rainbows which I stumbled across recently but again plants first.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Are you using GH booster? I found that even though my water GH is 3-4 there wasn't enough magnesium for easy Rotala. GH booster is part of EI dosing!

Keep to the smaller leaved easy plants and you can have a fantastic tank. Find the general rules of dutch scaping and just use the plants that work best for you. Use light and dark green as contrast if reds are hard. Even if Rotala is supposed to be red if it is growing well then use it as a light green plant. Remember texture and leaf shape is important as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Kathyy

I live in London and have kept Rotala with relative ease via EI dosing. I mention my location because London's water is laden with metals so I think I've been ok without the GH booster.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you mentioned "small fish that are 100% shrimp safe" What fish are those please? my previous attempts at cohabitation have resulted in a shrimp buffet.

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsherwood View Post
you mentioned "small fish that are 100% shrimp safe" What fish are those please? my previous attempts at cohabitation have resulted in a shrimp buffet.
Pseudomuguil Gertrudae

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode