Plants for 180 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Plants for 180

So my tank is 180 gallons with no fish, just starting to get it cycled now. It was setup before, nothing crazy, just had some illness and needed to start over. It setup to be high tech, but made lot changes so it can really be either way. Also has HP CO2

So the question what plants to go with? I don't want swords, as I always have the worst luck with them. I always make things way over complex and have been told to use the KISS.

Dwarf Sag
Normal Sag
Wisteria
Anubias, barteri var. nana 'narrow leaf (for drift wood)
Anubias, Hastifolia (large ones for background)
Anubias Congensis (large ones for background)
Anubias Frazer (large ones for background)

I am not really sure though, so I am very much open to suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What lighting you have? How much co2 are you pumping? Do you have a scape idea?

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
What lighting you have? How much co2 are you pumping? Do you have a scape idea?
When I had it setup before, still setup just empty. It was all high tech.

I don't want that now as I travel so much. Wife will dose ferts and trim as needed, but the less work for her the better.

Everything is controlled with Apex system.

The tank is 180 gallons with dual overflows, that are connected to sealed sump. The CO2 goes into it own pump and pushed into reactor then back into line for the main return pump. I have 20 LB CO2 bottle. In the past I pushed enough CO2 so it would not stress out the fish, but was green to light yellow on drop checker.

Lights are T5HO. Since they are in a canopy it in a fixed location and cannot be moved. The lights are about 15 inches above the top of the tank. 7 bulbs staggered over the tank since it 72x24x25. Giesemann Midday 80 watt, not all our Midday, they are split, but I don't recall what the other is since I am not at home right now.

As far as scape goes, not really sure yet. I have ton of tress I just bought from Tom Barr, they are soaking for a few more weeks before I move them into the tank. Also use a fair amount of river rock, for caves so on.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Planted Member

Stocking advice:
You have a lot of anubias, those are gorgeous plants but they grow slow, and do nothing to stop algae. I would want some fast growing stems, java fern, and maybe some kind of nutrient-sucking weeds like tiger lotus, or hornwort (I guess wisteria counts!). The heavier you plant starting off, the better. If there's any non-planted space in your tank, fill it up if you can.

Travel:
I went low-tech in my 180 gallon tank, since I still travel often. Sometimes I'm gone for two weeks at a time, my son throws in fish food every day. That's it. The lights are on timers, and the filters (Eheim and an FX6) are rock solid. The less there is to go wrong, the less chance that something will, and it hasn't yet in over a year.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Wisteria can grow inches a day with high light and CO2. It's a great plant for helping prevent algae issues in a new tank.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay180 View Post
Stocking advice:
You have a lot of anubias, those are gorgeous plants but they grow slow, and do nothing to stop algae. I would want some fast growing stems, java fern, and maybe some kind of nutrient-sucking weeds like tiger lotus, or hornwort (I guess wisteria counts!). The heavier you plant starting off, the better. If there's any non-planted space in your tank, fill it up if you can.

Travel:
I went low-tech in my 180 gallon tank, since I still travel often. Sometimes I'm gone for two weeks at a time, my son throws in fish food every day. That's it. The lights are on timers, and the filters (Eheim and an FX6) are rock solid. The less there is to go wrong, the less chance that something will, and it hasn't yet in over a year.
Thanks for the info, that a very good point about those plants being slow. Any suggestions for nice background plants that are easy to care for, other than swords? Sometimes I wish I would have not went with tank with overflows, so many ways to plumb the sump and it still loud. I also don't plan to load the tank up with CO2, or have all those lights on. When I had those lights built they are all on own switch, so I have a lot of control over that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would get some aponogeton, the ulvaceus and crispus, others are big and fast growing.

Or look into tall crypts like balansae, crispatula, spiralis, aponogetifolia.

I would suggest floating plants for a while till the tank is established. Will help to dim the lighting.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
I would get some aponogeton, the ulvaceus and crispus, others are big and fast growing.

Or look into tall crypts like balansae, crispatula, spiralis, aponogetifolia.

I would suggest floating plants for a while till the tank is established. Will help to dim the lighting.
Good advice here ^^^^

Plus one on the Crypts, I'd suggest Wendtii red but that will eventually choke out and take over territory where you're planting your dwarf sag. In my tank the Wendtii crypts out-competed the sag, and I let it happen since I like the crypts more. My panda cory cats come out and forage under the crypts, they like the cover and I get to see them all the time.

Yes on the floating plants too, or add in a tiger lotus. The lily pads do the same thing as frogbit without the mess.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I personally love duckweed for a few reasons. It grows super fast which really makes it hard for algae to grow let alone thrive. Its super easy to thin out with a net, doesn't get caught up with other plants, flows nicely at the surface to it won't impede with power heads and block flow. When you look up at it it looks like a awesome carpet because of the short roots

I found that some fish will also eat it as a snack too.

Takes a little bit to fully remove it when or if you want it completely gone but nothing that a net and some time can't accomplish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode