Blue eyed yellow bristle nose eggs! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By THE V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blue eyed yellow bristle nose eggs!

Like the title says I have pair of blue eyed yellow bristle noses and they have laid eggs. I want to try to raise the fri. Does anyone have experience with raising them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
In the past with BNP's all I did was let the Mom rear the eggs. My females always use to sit on their eggs and move water over them and pick out the dead/unfertilized ones. My best recommendation is to move the tube she spawned in (hoping it's a tube) to another tank so when the fry hatch you can just move Mom back. In a heavily planted aquarium with non predatory small fish, you probably could just leave Mom and eggs alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is normally the male bristlenose that guard's the egg's for approx. fourteen day's.
after this time,the young fry will have consumed the egg yoke and exit the breeding tube,cave,or wherever.
The young fry are voracious eater's, and vegetable matter in the form of zucchini,or cucumber should be available near daily.
Can also offer algae wafer's along with good quality pellet food like New life spectrum.
Would separate the male and female lest you want more fry within two week's of first spawn.
Help's to have plan's for the babies (sell/Trade).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Help's to have plan's for the babies (sell/Trade).
Or have a colony... That's what I did.

|||
|||
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
Or have a colony... That's what I did.

Yes,I recently traded nearly forty young fry that were three month's old and of a size large enough for my local fish store to accept.(not very fast grower's)
Still got another twenty maybe that the male/female produced a couple week's after first spawn that are still too small.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
With BN plecos the males do all of the rearing of the young. Generally the young do best if there is plenty of heavy cover for them to hide in once they leave their fathers protection. They are voracious algae eaters when young and do best with some driftwood for them to munch on.

One BN female can keep 3-4 males guarding eggs at the same time. On my 125 I had one female and 3 males that bred most of the summer. Every couple of months I'd pull out 20 or so in the 2" range and take them to the LFS.

When I finally broke it down for the move this past summer I had around got credit for around 80 of them.
bk. and bk. like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode