Co2 in bigger tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 in bigger tank

Hi
Im in the middle of setting up a 400l tank i have an external co2 reactor just wondering whats the best way to get the co2 around the tank im thinking a spray bar would be best but not sure
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A spray bar with powerheads/circulation pumps will be your best bet
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Spray bars are good. Have it facing straight forward at the top of the tank and it should be close to the full length of the tank. Any added power heads or circulation pumps need to support the spray bar so you get as circular a flow as possible. If your CO2 is on another pump then add another spray bar just below the one from the main pump.

Or do it the ADA way. An open return at the side of the tank with the filter intake near it on the same side. An open return allows a bit more flow than a spray bar because spray bars restrict flow. I split the return from the main pump in two with the CO2 pump's open return between them and have been extremely happy with the mixing. Since the main pump is about twice as strong as the CO2 reactor's pump the three returns have just about the same flow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can check out the setup I did in my diy stand thread via the link in my signature for reference. Go to post 60 and scroll all the way down. I made a side pvc intake and used a tank lenght spray bar for the return. Pretty much what Kathyy is describing. Make sure your intake matches up with the outlet though. In my case, I had to make the holes 2-3 times larger in the smaller length intake and I used a single row of smaller holes aimed out and downwards for the outlet. Aimed out and down allows the water to roll off the front glass and back into the tank. I have (2) Korlia 550's on the sides circulating everything pretty good. My drop checker is a light yellow by intent. I purposely crank it because its a plant only grow out and it really keeps algae at bay. On my 40g rack system, I have co2 entering a little different. I have cerges reactors on them instead of the Rex Griggs that's on my 125g. The co2 is mixed pretty well in the reactor once tuned in and I get a light yellow here as well even with a sump. The outlet is just a 45 degree pvc fitting tucked away in one corner. The flow here is so good that I won't even have to use powerheads as I originally though. Water rolls off the front glass here as well and sweeps across the whole tank to the other side. The circulation for this system is via the coast to coast overflow. To a degree, my water circulation is almost a little too strong. Between the ball valve and the water pump, I can easily fix the issue if I wanted to. I just have to take the time to re-tune it.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode