How to acclimate a tank to new water - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to acclimate a tank to new water

Hi guys, so I found out that the water I was using was not good( went threw the softner) so I found out that my hoses do not go threw it. So should I do half normal and half new? I only do 20% changes on my 10. So could I do one now ( I'm inpatient) last one was last Monday so that's ok, but I changed my carbon out for purigen so would it be ok for me to do it now? Thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you make a 50/50 blend of what they were used to (water softener) and new (unfiltered) water, then do a 20% water change this is a very safe ratio.
I would do 2-3 changes like this over a 1-2 week period, then go to 100% unsoftened water.

If you want the math:
Do water changes where the net change in TDS is not higher than 15% more, nor lower than 10% less than what they were used to.
Example: If the current TDS is 200, then a water change with softer water could result in a TDS of 180. A water change with harder water could result in a TDS of 230.
After a few days the next water change could drop that again, 10% lower, or 15% higher.
These are conservative values. Most commonly kept fish will handle a greater change than this.

If you do not have a TDS meter, then use GH and KH to figure this out.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright thank you. I'm excited to see how my plants grow , turns out the softner takes out all the iron

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your Tap Water

Hello Burs...

Most of the fish you get at the pet store will be fine in most public water supplies. You don't have to jump through any special hoops for most fish. Just treat the tap water to remove the chlorine and chloramine the water people put into the tap to the water safe to drink. As long as you keep dissolved wastes out, by removing and replacing half or so of the water every few days, your fish will be fine. Soft water simply has fewer minerals than hard. So what?

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Burs...

Most of the fish you get at the pet store will be fine in most public water supplies. You don't have to jump through any special hoops for most fish. Just treat the tap water to remove the chlorine and chloramine the water people put into the tap to the water safe to drink. As long as you keep dissolved wastes out, by removing and replacing half or so of the water every few days, your fish will be fine. Soft water simply has fewer minerals than hard. So what?

B
His water has been artificially softened. This does not mean it has less minerals, it means the Ca and Mg has been exchanged for sodium, so it has more sodium than desired. Hence his desire to swap out the current tank water with unsoftened tap water which he also has access to.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are only changing 20% at a time then it does not make any difference. Just treat the new water with de-chlor,(I prefer Prime), and if you are running the hose directly into the tank then you should use enough for the entire tank. If using buckets then treat the bucket with the appropriate amount before adding to the tank.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Which one should I do? Cause two of you guys are saying diff things.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMO, do water changes of 15% with the new water as per your normal schedule, maybe weekly. That will eventually change the water to new source. I used RO water and then switched to tap and I did normal water changes and within a month I had my tank water parameters same as the tap water and all the fishes were fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Since new water has less sodium and more calcium and magnesium GH will be higher than before. Change 20% as usual so tank gets the same amount of fresh water as it is used to but mix it 50% softened water and 50% unsoftened as Diana suggested.

My old male Congo Tetra was stressed by a 10% water change when I went from topping off for months to making a water change. If water is different it does make a difference. I am not sure the other posters are getting that you are making a big change in water chemistry. It may or may not be necessary, I'd err on the cautious side.
Raymond S. and Raymond S. like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

@Diana's method is more conservative. She does say that "most commonly kept fish will handle a greater change than this."

It's totally up to you, you can do what Diana suggested (takes a little longer but safer).

Or do what @keymastr said (a little faster, possibly more risk to fish but more likely than not pretty safe).

Or do what @plantetra suggested which is in between.

Depends on how fast you want to take this and the effort you want to expend, balanced by possible small risk to fish not being happy with the pace of the change.

Eh, sorry, missed what @Kathyy said, her experience with her Congo tetra definitely counts.

Daisy Mae V
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
@Diana's method is more conservative. She does say that "most commonly kept fish will handle a greater change than this."

It's totally up to you, you can do what Diana suggested (takes a little longer but safer).

Or do what @keymastr said (a little faster, possibly more risk to fish but more likely than not pretty safe).

Or do what @plantetra suggested which is in between.

Depends on how fast you want to take this and the effort you want to expend, balanced by possible small risk to fish not being happy with the pace of the change.

Eh, sorry, missed what @Kathyy said, her experience with her Congo tetra definitely counts.

I went ahead and did the 20% with the two waters. I don't mind taking the longer route if it's healthier for the fish. Now here is another question, as I'm doing this I planned on grabbing some new fish from my lfs. Am I ok to do it? Thanks all

Nick

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Soft Water

Quote:
His water has been artificially softened. This does not mean it has less minerals, it means the Ca and Mg has been exchanged for sodium, so it has more sodium than desired. Hence his desire to swap out the current tank water with unsoftened tap water which he also has access to.
Hello Dais...

Soft water has one mineral, that would be sodium. If the tap water can be consumed, then his fish will adapt to the water chemistry. The only thing he has to do is remove and replace the tank water regularly to maintain a steady water chemistry. There's no need to make things more difficult. Just treat the tap water to remove chlorine and chloramine.

B

Bump:
Quote:
Hello Dais...

Soft water has one mineral, that would be sodium. If the tap water can be consumed, then his fish will adapt to the water chemistry. The only thing he has to do is remove and replace the tank water regularly to maintain a steady water chemistry. There's no need to make things more difficult. Just treat the tap water to remove chlorine and chloramine.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstatol90010 View Post
I went ahead and did the 20% with the two waters. I don't mind taking the longer route if it's healthier for the fish. Now here is another question, as I'm doing this I planned on grabbing some new fish from my lfs. Am I ok to do it? Thanks all

Nick

If this is my tank, I would wait until all the WCs were completed. Less potential insult for the new fish. It's why you decided to go slow in the first place, right?

@BBradbury-
While I agree with the value of regular WCs to maintain steady water chemistry, I think you are ignoring the fact that the OP wants to replace his current sodium enriched, Ca-Mg-Fe- depleted water with water that has more Ca-Mg-Fe and less sodium.

He prefers to use this unsoftened water for his system and is asking for help in how to do it.

Daisy Mae V
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You should get the new fish while they are available, but never put the new fish directly into your main tank.
Set up a quarantine tank with the unsoftened water (which may be similar to the water the store is using, if you are in the same city).
The new fish should be in quarantine for a month while you monitor and treat for any parasites or disease.
By that time the gradual water change schedule with the main tank will have it something like 95% unsoftened water, and it will be fine to move the new fish into that tank.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You should get the new fish while they are available, but never put the new fish directly into your main tank.

Set up a quarantine tank with the unsoftened water (which may be similar to the water the store is using, if you are in the same city).

The new fish should be in quarantine for a month while you monitor and treat for any parasites or disease.

By that time the gradual water change schedule with the main tank will have it something like 95% unsoftened water, and it will be fine to move the new fish into that tank.

Yeah I know. I have my 5 I could put the new guys into. But my baby Platy is in there (3 months old). So should I move the baby to the 10 and drain it and put the new fish in the 5 with the new water?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode