• 6 Post By philipraposo1982
  • 2 Post By bsherwood
  • 2 Post By FatherLandDescendant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Water changes

Okay so I have a little bit of an issue with water changes. Pretty much the only easy way to easily flow new water into my tank is with my outside hose and the water is always freezing.

I'm sure I could do the bucket brigade thing and put bucket after bucket in my tank of warmer, more accurate water, but thats such a pain.

Does anybody have any solutions to this? And also, how often do you guys do them? I've heard everything from every week to every other week to once a month. Frankly every week seems a bit much to me, especially if your tank is lightly stocked/heavily filtered like mine is. But others might argue with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
55gal or similar food grade barrel, i picked mine up for 20.00 on kijiji.

a heater, i had a eheim 300w jager sitting around, so i am using that. and a pump to move the water around in the barrel. fill it a day or two before and heat it to the required temp and then fill. now you have fully degased aged water with the exact temp you want. simply pump it from there to ur tank.

i do a wc weekly, 60% and my plants and fish love love love a fresh serving of water
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Now the more I'm looking into it, it would seem that doing a weekly water change would probably greatly benefit the tank. I don't think I will be removing 60% of it, but I guess it will still help.

I'm having constant issues with dying fish and I can't find the culprit. I'm assuming this is what it is because I don't do frequent water changes/filter cleanings. I need to step that up.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Also this is a good time to do the dechlor if needed. Saves using as much to treat for the whole tank volume. Add a remote control between the pump and receptacle so that you can stand at the tank and turn the flow on/off?
If appearance of a barrel is not what you want, maybe add a sheet of nice fabric over the top? Mine wound up as a place to put the ten gallon QT tank.
My timing varies from daily to two weeks. Each tank is different as you mention, so adjust as you see it working.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If there is a bathroom faucet nearby you can simply unscrew the aerator from the faucet spigot and screw in the adaptor for a Python. Then you just adjust your water temp and fill the tank from inside. It will also screw on to most kitchen faucets the same way. The adaptors come with the Python. You should dose the tank with enough Prime for the whole tank when you change water this way rather than adding just enough for the amount of water changed.

Water changes are extremely important in a planted tank. I start to develop BBA if I skip a couple water changes. Algae do not like regular water changes. I change 50% a week and if I skip a week the BBA starts to come back.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The more expensive method is to plumb a hot water line into your hose... BUT you get the added benefit of being able to have warm sprinkler water for kids to run through... or wash your car with, or whatever... I personally leave it off unless I have a need for it, so as not to waste the hot water

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I say get a python. Those things are great.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a python and do 50% every week on 9 tanks....I bought it when I turned 50. I should have bought it when I turned 30. The bucket brigade is lame.

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Water Changes

Hello Black...

I used to use the large, heavy trash containers. I'd get them from the local hardware store. Used them to store the clean, treated water and used another for holding the old water I removed during the water change. A tank heater can be used to keep the new water within a few degrees of what's already in the tank.

Water changes keep pollutants out of the tank. I remove more than most, about 60 percent weekly. I change so much water, I can safely use a much smaller filter. The filter is just moving clean water. Don't have to ever test the water, I know the chemistry is balanced, little or no dissolved wastes.

It's all about the water.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I actually came up with a method of just filling up a huge plastic tub (like the ones you can buy to store stuff that have lids on them) with water, placing my heater in there for awhile, and then when it's ready removing the water from my tank and replacing it with the already heated water. I also added a good amount of prime to it. But I'm not really sure how to detect how much.

I would gladly do a Python or something of this manner, but unfortunately my kitchen sink/bathroom faucets are all weird connections that the Python or pretty much anything else will not fit onto. I tried using the Aqueon water changer and it wouldn't connect to it.

Last edited by Blackheart; 10-18-2015 at 05:26 PM. Reason: .
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Aside from buying an entire Python you can go to the Lowes/Home Depot ect and buy a fitting that has aerator threads on one side and garden hose threads on the other side. I had to buy one for my Python, though I don't use the faucet to help drain my tank. You can then mix the tap with heated water and bring the incoming tank water to a temp closer to the temp of the tank it's going into. I shoot for -1 degree from tank temp, but not hotter than the tank at all.

The cold replacement water can defiantly be the cause of your "mysterious" fish deaths.

I was doing WCs every week, but have found that my tank does better with every other week WCs, even with CO2 injection and full EI dosing.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Aside from buying an entire Python you can go to the Lowes/Home Depot ect and buy a fitting that has aerator threads on one side and garden hose threads on the other side.
Yeah that's a little bit much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
The cold replacement water can defiantly be the cause of your "mysterious" fish deaths.
I'm not sure what it is, because I just tested my water today and there is 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrates and 0 Nitrites. So maybe I just need to keep up with water changes more frequently and do it properly and monitor the temperature.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Yeah that's a little bit much for me.
What is buying, a Python, or the adapter to hook a garden hose to your sink? An adapter will run you like $2.

Bump: Heck here's one for .25

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Thread-Fa.../dp/B000DZKX5Y
tuffgong and tuffgong like this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I had buy an adaptor for my sink also. They are really cheap and your problems would be solved once you figured out exactly what you need.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I personally like the trash barrel in the garage with a heater and circulatory pump. Then a small power head to pump it through a hose into the tank. That is, if you don't have a way to fill with the python.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode