At least I guess it was
. I've been doing some heavy duty re-modeling of our living room the past 3-4 months. To this end I had moved my 29 from there into the dining room area (vewy, vewy, carefully!) with plans of experimenting with it, using it for a learning tool, and turning it into a real
planted tank when I had time.And then later I wanted to upgrade to a 90. Well, I've finally gotten the living room mostly put back together, so since I needed it out of the way while I moved on to the Dining Room I was going to break it down (since I had to empty it to move it anyway) and set up at least a somewhat proper tank with an upgrade to ODNO lighting (I'd already bought the ballast) and DIY Co2, KL substrate (I was experimenting AND trying to do this on the cheap...all the $$$ had gone into the Living Room!) rather than just the gravel. It had been mostly neglected for the last 3 months or so.
Anyway I turn everything off, siphon most of the water into a clean 30 gallon trash can, get it mostly empty, remove the driftwood to which I'd attached some anubias, uprooted the sad looking swords (nobody told
me they needed bright light when I bought 'em!) and corralled the fish and transferred them to a 5 gallon bucket with some rocks and an airstone. I had two 5 gallon buckets of washed KL standing to the side, didn't figure I'd have the tank empty more than a couple hours, tops. Get the old gravel out into another bucket and start cleaning the glass. Plain water ain't budging the film so I mixed up vinegar and water 50/50 and it cleans nicely. And then I see it ... uh-oh... a little mark in the glass about 4 inches up on one end. Run my fingernail along it on the outside. Nothing. But on the inside, fingernail definitely catches. *sigh* . Call up Hubby ... "Houston, we have a problem..."
way, I had to replace it with something, pronto, as my fish are living in a bucket. People don't carry 90's and I didn't really feel like spending about $500 on an almost spur of the moment thing too (since I'd have to get a stand.) So I backed off my plans, and this is the result ...
55 Gallon with a Fluval 204, and a 150 watt heater (!). Picked up the light from Lowe's last night, a Metalux something or other with 2 electronic ballasts. Right now I've got 4 Gro-lux T-12's in it. First priority is building a hood so I can access the tank easily. I'll sew a "skirt" to cover up the guts for now although later I'll be building a cabinet to match the bookcases. Get some DIY Co2 running. GET MORE PLANTS!!!
Oh, and the fish are still in the bucket