Forced Upgrade - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Forced Upgrade

At least I guess it was . I've been doing some heavy duty re-modeling of our living room the past 3-4 months. To this end I had moved my 29 from there into the dining room area (vewy, vewy, carefully!) with plans of experimenting with it, using it for a learning tool, and turning it into a real planted tank when I had time.And then later I wanted to upgrade to a 90. Well, I've finally gotten the living room mostly put back together, so since I needed it out of the way while I moved on to the Dining Room I was going to break it down (since I had to empty it to move it anyway) and set up at least a somewhat proper tank with an upgrade to ODNO lighting (I'd already bought the ballast) and DIY Co2, KL substrate (I was experimenting AND trying to do this on the cheap...all the $$$ had gone into the Living Room!) rather than just the gravel. It had been mostly neglected for the last 3 months or so.

Anyway I turn everything off, siphon most of the water into a clean 30 gallon trash can, get it mostly empty, remove the driftwood to which I'd attached some anubias, uprooted the sad looking swords (nobody told me they needed bright light when I bought 'em!) and corralled the fish and transferred them to a 5 gallon bucket with some rocks and an airstone. I had two 5 gallon buckets of washed KL standing to the side, didn't figure I'd have the tank empty more than a couple hours, tops. Get the old gravel out into another bucket and start cleaning the glass. Plain water ain't budging the film so I mixed up vinegar and water 50/50 and it cleans nicely. And then I see it ... uh-oh... a little mark in the glass about 4 inches up on one end. Run my fingernail along it on the outside. Nothing. But on the inside, fingernail definitely catches. *sigh* . Call up Hubby ... "Houston, we have a problem..."

Anyway, I had to replace it with something, pronto, as my fish are living in a bucket. People don't carry 90's and I didn't really feel like spending about $500 on an almost spur of the moment thing too (since I'd have to get a stand.) So I backed off my plans, and this is the result ...

55 Gallon with a Fluval 204, and a 150 watt heater (!). Picked up the light from Lowe's last night, a Metalux something or other with 2 electronic ballasts. Right now I've got 4 Gro-lux T-12's in it. First priority is building a hood so I can access the tank easily. I'll sew a "skirt" to cover up the guts for now although later I'll be building a cabinet to match the bookcases. Get some DIY Co2 running. GET MORE PLANTS!!!

Oh, and the fish are still in the bucket

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Great move in a pinch!

You are much more resourceful than I!

You have to start a journal in the Photography section so we can follow the progress of your new aquarium.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Heh. I had to run around to about 4 pet-stores to get that tank; there was at least a $40 dollar difference in price for the set (tank and stand) between the store I bought it from (Superpetz) and a couple of others. My local (and trusted) LFS did not have any tanks of comparable size in and I needed it now. In the end, as far as decor goes, the 55 is better than the 90 would have been as it's only 12 inches deep or some such, which means it doesn't poke out beyond the bookcases. Fits the space better .

I'll try to start a journal. I have got to get a hood built. Right now I cant even get to the water to test it very easily, and I would like to make sure that the thing isn't cycling (although the Fluval has the original media from the 29 and half the gravel is also from the Fluval, so hopefully...)

Never a dull moment!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 01:10 AM
mpb
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Congrats on your new 55g.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Throw several bunches of fast growers in there and you won't have to worry about the cycle. See my FAQ for a list of suggested plants.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Throw several bunches of fast growers in there and you won't have to worry about the cycle. See my FAQ for a list of suggested plants.
Rex? Creeping Charlie? We're talking about this stuff?

Or is there something that's actually "aquatic" that goes by the same name? If it's the same thing can you actually plant it underwater? The reason I ask is because if this is the same stuff getting lots of it is for me nooooo problemo. Unfortunately .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
AFAIK they are one and the same thing.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
AFAIK they are one and the same thing.
I did some more research, apparently they're not , darn it. That stuff I linked to is Glechoma hederacea and the aquatic "Creeping Charlie" is Micromeria brownei. I've been fighting the former in the yard for years. Ah, well. Thought I had a plentiful and above all free plant source! Should have known it wasn't going to be that easy.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Newkidonthetank
so what happened exactly?.. i guess i didnt get it... did the 29 crack? or what

out of the aquarium for a while... college
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yup. Generally speaking, when you've got a little mark what I've got in this pic (apologize for the quality, glass is hard to take a picture of!),

and a fingernail will catch in it (like a scratch), what you've got is a place that has the potential to become a crack. Rather than take the chance that it might be okay, and might only be a deep scratch, I took the route that it might just put 25-30 gallons of water all over the hardwood floors , so I just went ahead and got the bigger tank I had planned on getting "sometime in the future." I really didn't want to keep the poor fishies in a bucket any longer than I had to!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Maybe he meant Creeping Jenny, Lysmachia mummularia.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
I did some more research, apparently they're not , darn it. That stuff I linked to is Glechoma hederacea and the aquatic "Creeping Charlie" is Micromeria brownei. I've been fighting the former in the yard for years. Ah, well. Thought I had a plentiful and above all free plant source! Should have known it wasn't going to be that easy.
I too have the pleasure of fighting creeping Charlie, the best I have found to deal with it is a product called 24D Farm and Fleet's will carry it or feed stores, you might be able to find it a a local greenhouse but it will cost more there. Then you mix it up stronger than recommend (until you can smell it) I think it was just over 4tablespoons to a gallon and then treat the area if you like you can treat it again in 2 weeks. AND 24D doesn't kill your grass!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2-4D will kill the stuff, but unfortunately many of the older varieties of St. Augustine ARE sensitive to it (in many ways St. Augustine is almost a broadleaf plant.) Y'all up there don't have to worry about that. But on the other hand I can't grow fine-leaf fescue or Kentucky bluegrass either!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode