Is Purigen a synthetic activated carbon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is Purigen a synthetic activated carbon?

Is Purigen a synthetic activated carbon?

Does this stuff actually work? How long does it normally last?

Does this more cost effective then buying activated carbon?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

From what I understand it's nothing like carbon. It absorbs all the stuff that would otherwise create really harmful ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. While it doesn't pull them out of the water, it pulls in the crap that makes the toxic stuff.

It also cleans up your water and gives it a nice clean look. It really depends on how dirty your tank is as to how long it lasts. I use it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedOdie View Post
From what I understand it's nothing like carbon. It absorbs all the stuff that would otherwise create really harmful ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. While it doesn't pull them out of the water, it pulls in the crap that makes the toxic stuff.

It also cleans up your water and gives it a nice clean look. It really depends on how dirty your tank is as to how long it lasts. I use it.
How many times can you "recharge it" ?

I guess recharge is another word for cleaning it?

Can you use it along with carbon or do you have to pick one or another?

Thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"...macro-porous synthetic polymer... Purigen® generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics."

Activated carbon will remove elemental compounds.

"Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult."

I take that to mean that how many times it can be regenerated is going to depend on what is in the water. If it is something that chlorine does not remove, then that batch of Purigen will have a shorter life.

A lot of people don't use activated carbon because it removes trace elements that plants need.

I plan to use it to remove the "tea" coloration in the water from Mopani driftwood.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
@Argus Does anyone know if Seachem Prime/Safe has any negative impact on Purigen regeneration? Seachem states, "Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat."

I have seen some other water conditioners/dechlorinators such as Tetra AquaSafe Plus, also promote slime coat production.

But then again, I think aquarium salt dose as well, maybe also IAL, alder cones, etc...

I am assuming these products that aren't solely marketed as slime coat promoters, are generally non-detrimental to the regeneration of Purigen, but thought I'd ask anyways.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
@Argus Does anyone know if Seachem Prime/Safe has any negative impact on Purigen regeneration? Seachem states, "Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat."

I have seen some other water conditioners/dechlorinators such as Tetra AquaSafe Plus, also promote slime coat production.

But then again, I think aquarium salt dose as well, maybe also IAL, alder cones, etc...

I am assuming these products that aren't solely marketed as slime coat promoters, are generally non-detrimental to the regeneration of Purigen, but thought I'd ask anyways.
SeaChem's regeneration instructions for Purigen involve soaking in a chlorine solution followed by "Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well."

I've used Prime and Tetra AquaSafe Plus in aquariums. The Tetra stuff seems a lot slimier than Prime.

Prime may promote fish's production of a slime coat, but it seems like AquaSafe Plus actually includes it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
@Argus Thanks for the info! Haven't used Purigen before, but it's about time I pick some up just for a extra polish of the displays tanks when company is over.

Hahaha about the slime coat stuff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Planted Member

It really works and I'm going on about 1 1/2 years of regenerating mine every 6 weeks or so. I have four 100 ml bags and am running two at a time on a 30 gallon planted tank - so I regenerate one set after I swap it out for the previously cleaned set. I'm going to switch it out pretty soon - it's not coming as clean as it once did.

-Justin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

It is similar to carbon, it polishes water and removes odors, however it also doesnt remove meds or ferts from the water, it also lasts longer than carbon and is more cost effective. I used 100 ml in a 55 for a month and a half before i had to regenerate it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode