So I went out for milk and a loaf of bread... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I went out for milk and a loaf of bread...

...and came back with this. Innovative Marine Micro 30 w/ stand and some kind of current usa led strip (with a remote that makes it do stupid things like emulate a thunderstorm); $150 used at the lfs. A guy had traded it in a few hours earlier. Looks like he had a planted freshwater tank in there previously as there are a few sprigs of green and some snails trying to survive in the 3" of water left at the bottom. Decent deal?

I haven't had an aquarium since I lived with my parents decades ago, but we always had planted fw tanks growing up. I've been toying with the idea of setting up a 10g-ish ada with a few shrimp on the kitchen countertop for the last few weeks and stopped by the store last night to check them out. Now that I got it in the house, it looks much bigger than I intended. I'm having 30-40% buyer's remorse, but I'm just gonna roll with it. How did I get from small 10g countertop to this? :-P

A few questions:

1) I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to setting this up. Can I leave it until I get a free weekend, or is this gravel + snails + whatever going to start getting really gross?

2) How would you clean the tank up? I was thinking of emptying it out, spray with vinegar soln, rinse with water. Should I reuse anything? There are an epic number of snails. Overall glass is in excellent shape on the front and sides, just some scale to clean up and fingerprints all over; no major scratches except for the background glass. Might try to buff them out (sounds like a pain, but not sure) or just landscape to cover.

3) It came with the original matching stand that looks kinda meh and has a rusted-out bottom hinge. I think I might diy a new pipe-shelf style stand for it using large gauge pipe. Anyone ever attempted this? I imagine that if this cheap stand can hold up, some 2" (or whatever) dia pipe holding up 1" wood should work.

4) If I set this up now and want to move it to a new piece of furniture later, would I have to take out heavy stones and mess everything up, or will the bottom support itself for a quick move at like 30-40% full?

I still need to get:
Substrate
Rocks/driftwood
New media caddies (just got dc by manufacturer; everyone is selling out. Hopefully the third source doesn't cancel my order too)
Filter media
CO2 stuff
+/- supplemental lighting (I know nothing about this fixture, but doesn't seem bright enough)
A bunch of other things I haven't thought of yet?
Fertilizer/supplements??
RO unit? (I think dallas has really soft water, its lake/river-sourced)

If you guys have any suggestions for your favorites on brands/models/online retailers for me to obsessively research for the next few weeks, I'd appreciate it. I think I'm still leaning towards eventually keeping shrimp (maybe a few bigger varieties now) and, now that I've got 30g to play with, something small and schooling (tetra-ish), plus...?? Gonna start with plants for now.

Nice to meet ya'll. Lurking for the past few days, I've seen some beautiful work on here. Looking forward to learning more about all this and getting this thing set up!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
gravel + snails + whatever
will get gross.

2 Good idea to
Quote:
spray with vinegar soln, rinse with water
3 It better to
Quote:
diy a new pipe-shelf style stand
now as you would
Quote:
have to take out heavy stones and mess everything up

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1. Really gross.
2. I would probably use hydrogen peroxide. Others would use chlorine bleach (make sure it has not perfumes or additives).
3. I'm not sure what a "pipe-shelf style stand" is, but I think the design would determine whether it will hold the 250-300 lbs. tank.
4. Dragging a 180 lb. piece of furniture across the floor will give you a good excuse to refinsh the floor, or put down new flooring.
5. You went for milk and found a $150 bargain tank that is now going to cost you a small fortune to outfit.

I recently put together a 30 gal. 36x12x16" tank and ended up with:

Mopani driftwood

Fluval 206 External Canister Filter

Hydor ETH 200 In-Line (UL) Aquarium Heater

Finnex Max-300 Digital Aquarium Heater Controller

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0ZGOZM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002APMU6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 for Aquarium looks good and has the right grain size for plants.

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Aquarium LED, 36 Inch

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPXVI94?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRLMG0M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
API Freshwater Master Test Kit

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064GZPU4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 — to raise KH

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002A5WQA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 — to raise GH

GLA PRO CO2 System from Green Leaf Aquariums — It should arrive Monday.

PPS-Pro Aquarium Fertilizer

Ghost in the Shell: 25th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray]

Of the plants I bought, the ones I like best are:
Anubias hastifolia
Anubias barteri var nana petite
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Nymphaea stellata

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

You guys are awesome; thanks a bunch. Sketched out the stand/shelf I'm going to put it on last night; need to go buy supplies and throw that together and then clean out this tank! Pics to come.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Awaiting

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might throw out some info.
If you truly want to get rid of the snails, it will mean you also have to get rid of the eggs. That gets you into doing a bleach water soak on almost everything. The tank, etc. but the filter media is likely to have eggs as well. I do not like snails so I would set the tank, after cleaning whatever wanted and then just run the whole setup with something like 1/2 cup of plain, cheap, unscented, unflavored bleach. No name brand is as good as any. Let it all run for 8-10 hours and then change the water. The difference in a bleach soak and normal tap water is the amount of bleach so draining changing the water dilutes it to near the same level as tap water. It will certainly be long gone before you get the cycle done and add fish. This is often scary to those who have not done it so expect a few things. The wood may turn white and ugly but this will change back in a week or so. But the bleach soak does away with the snails and anything harmful that may have been in the tank before like disease. Sometimes folks do get sick of the fish dying and trade off the tank so I never trust a tank like this. The bleach may make sponge or other soft media come apart and need to be replaced but then I would not want to run media that is unknown from a disease point.

The tank bottom can stand the weight but moving tanks with stuff in them is really easy to twist and break. Far safer to set it in place first if it could work. Up on the nitrogen cycle for starting a new tank? Vital to know that.

For real facts on your tap water, look online for a water report for your water company. Called "consumer confidence report", they are required by regs for any but the smallest companies. Lots of good info but a bit techie so ask if it doesn't make sense right away.

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode