Help with cloudy water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with cloudy water

I'm scratching my head on this one...

My 75 gallon has been set up for just over two weeks. I took down 3 smaller tanks, and combined them into this one tank. I was able to use the bio media from my smaller tanks in my new Sun Sun 304b.

The tank is co2 injected, and I started dosing with PPS Pro at 1 ml/gallon after one week. On day 5 of PPS dosing, my tank started to turn cloudy. It appears to be a white color, with fine particles suspended in the water column. Despite running the sunsun skimmer, the tank has also developed a film on the surface. Filter has a tray of course sponge, a tray of fine sponge, tray of bio media, and tray of purigen.

Water test show no signs of ammonia or nitrite, with 30 ppm of Nitrate.

Any ideas on what caused this tank to cloud?

I completed a 30% water change, but it didn't change clarity much. Should I stop the PPS dosing? Did I start too soon? Is this related to the cloudy water? Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2686.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	529874  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

You are having a bacterial bloom. It will go away without causing harm. The trigger was probably your use of substrate from earlier tank releasing a lot of nutrients. Clean the filter media for faster action.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I was wondering if this was a possibility. The substrate is new, washed, black diamond blasting sand. Only the filter media was reused. The plants, however, all came from previous tanks. The driftwood is also new

The sunsun filter has a UV light, I've been running it for the last 24 hours, things appear to have not changed.

I'll continue to wait it out.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

Try increasing co2. It cleared my tank up. Not sure if it will help yours.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

did you use a PH proper in your 30% water change? and does it look like smoke coming out of the sub-straight?

i had it react with the sub-straight and had to redo the tank... twice... wont ever use anything like that again!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I haven't used anything to alter ph.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, it's most likely just a bacterial bloom.
If it was debris from the substrate or whatever it would of been cloudy right away, and the cloud particles would either collect in the mechanical filtration or settle on the bottom of the tank if heavy enough.
You mention no ammonia or nitrites so it's not a mini cycle so you must just have a small bacterial bloom.
Your cloud isn't that bad at all and will clear up on it's own within a few days.

Things that might speed it along is keeping the mechanical filtration a clean to remove collected organics, and you could vacuum (not necessarily water changes as tap water has some dissolved organics -TDS-) any debris within the tank and remove any decaying leaves. All about removing the decomposing organics, which the bacterial bloom is feeding/multiplying from. I believe the Purigen is helping absorb some of the "dissolved" organics, but to what extent I am not sure. Once the tank matures/establishes more, the bacterial blooms won't be appearing if things are maintained.

Read these articles if you want to better understand what is going on
Bacterial Blooms Explained - New to the Hobby Questions and Answers - Tropical Fish Forums
Cloudy Aquarium Water: Bacterial Bloom & Waste - Video
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Planted Member

Thanks for those two articles Waterlife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of
Dirt #171
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for these links, now it makes sense. I suppose I've just been fortunate enough to avoid these blooms in my smaller tanks.

Would you recommend I continue pps dosing while waiting out the bloom?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just disregard the bloom. Follow the routine.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help. I rinsed my filter pads in dechlorinated water added a bag of purigen along side the other one.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Increased water changes occasionally can help shorten a bacterial bloom but the best bet is to just ride it out.

I wish I would have thought to take a picture of the one time, where i reused some wood on a new setup. The wood had been dry and in the garage for 6 months after a seam on the previous tank went.

I tossed the wood into a 2/3 filled tank to soak and sink. A week later the water was milk colored and the wood had a film covering it all. Could barely see two inches into the tank.

I turned the filters on. Changed out most of the water, added in the substrate, and tossed in the plants. A week later it was crystal clear... Then came the diatoms for the next two months from the new tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode