New 75 gal. Set Up .... Lets collaberate! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 75 gal. Set Up .... Lets collaberate!

Hey everyone!

Im a new fish here and after tomorrow Ill no longer be a low tech amateur. Im upgrading from a 35 gallon to a 75 gallon tank and want it very close to heavily planted.

A few reasons Im doing this include wanting bigger fuller plants as well as a decent selection. My other plan is to also grow my knife fish a bit bigger. The tank he is in now seems to small especially with all the clutter.

I know this sset.up Im wanting to include a sand waterfall and also a very dark theme. Almost like a swamp. I have no idea what types of fish ill be using besides the ones i have now which include barbs, rosbara tetras, glo fish, and the knifefish.

First things first though I need an option for substrate prefrebably black or blackish. Like mr aqua or seachem. Thing is Im trying to budget it. Ive also heard of mineralizing miracle grow or other types of soil snd capping it. Id like to acheive this if I can but whats in store for me to do ??

Feel free to speak your mind here 😋😋

Thx and Ill post some pics as I get it going !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
" Thing is Im trying to budget it."
Lithonia Lighting Diamond Plate 2-Light Chrome Ceiling Fluorescent Shop Light-1241DP RE - The Home Depot
You can spray paint it on the outside. Find a sale like perhaps Amazon for this. Outlast
other brands.
Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters
You won't find it listed in the on-line but Tractor Supply has Black Beauty blasting sand
the is about $8 a bag for #40. Use with Osmocote+ capsules from vendors here like...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...ug|others.html
Start learning about nutrients(ferts) for plants as you will want some.
Dry ferts for water dosing.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh no !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
" Thing is Im trying to budget it."
Lithonia Lighting Diamond Plate 2-Light Chrome Ceiling Fluorescent Shop Light-1241DP RE - The Home Depot
You can spray paint it on the outside. Find a sale like perhaps Amazon for this. Outlast
other brands.
Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters
You won't find it listed in the on-line but Tractor Supply has Black Beauty blasting sand
the is about $8 a bag for #40. Use with Osmocote+ capsules from vendors here like...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...ug|others.html
Start learning about nutrients(ferts) for plants as you will want some.
Dry ferts for water dosing.

Thanks for the response Ray. Sorry its been so long for me to reply. I have a lot to tell. This new tank might not be worth it

First off I have done some sketching (Got to stay strong) of what I want the new setup to look like. I've also ordered a few things that I will be digging into in the next week or so. But long story short.

I got Columnaris in my 35G!!!

That host most of my stock. I've been so busy with work and family (appointments and what have you) I didn't do my normal weekly water changes or even really get a chance to look at the tank itself. Total Bummer. Within the last week I've had 3 Puffer fish die (which one is whom I believe the columnaris came with) 1 Rosy barb I've had for a year now died in a salt bath.

So this is what I've done.

As soon as I noticed, when I had that one night to look at my tank of course, that the 1st rosy barbs mouth was white(this was after my puffer fish died because he had cotton hanging from his mouth in another tank that was strictly for my puffers). I thought I had spread the disease via a net, hands, water cups, etc.

I went right to my lfs and asked the man what to do. I mentioned I had a black knife fish who was doing fine and that he was scaleless. I bought an API treatment kit that cures fin rot ich and a few other diseases. I than proceeded to seperate him into another tank which hes in and is doing ok due to size and than treated my main 35G for a week dosing accordingly. (this is including the addition of salt) There after I have been doing water changes every day! at least 15% - 20%

I came home tonight and noticed on the Gold Barb the red and white fungus buildup in the back fin by his tail was gone and he only had a slight buildup of the cotton on a top scale by his top fin which was very light. She's active and ready to go. The next Rosy barb in line however has turned completely white in the back end of the fish ( it looks like a two toned car) The fish is now staying in the corner and constantly gasping for air.

I've read a lot about this diseases and it does not sound pleasent! I need to know what to do at this point. I want to keep the fish I have and transfer them into my new setup but will the disease spread if I introduce the fish that have no symptoms yet ??

The knife fish is also main concern as he is my favorite. He is scaleless but can he still carry the disease and spread it ??

Also the wife will murder me If I kill her glofish !!

I know I dont contribute much as I'm still learning about the hobby but any help here would be great.

If your here thanks for taking the time to read and enjoy your upcoming holidays

Thanks Gang

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Black Diamond Blasting sand!!
Tractor Supply Store!

cheap, cheap, cheap and jet black and a good cap

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd take that issue/w the disease to the fish section as it may not come to the right person on this section.
But yes using the fish that "appear" to be disease free can bring that to your new tank.
Have not even read much about it other than the mention of extreme problem in threads that it was mentioned in. Those didn't get into detail and since I do native fish which might bring in anything but far less likely I have not read up on the details of it at all.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsherwood View Post
Tractor Supply Store!

Thanks I'll have to check that out. I was also looking at colored sand on substratesource which sells on ebay and amazon. Have you ever heard of anyone using this product. It seems really similiar!

Quote:
I'd take that issue/w the disease to the fish section as it may not come to the right person on this section.
But yes using the fish that "appear" to be disease free can bring that to your new tank.
Have not even read much about it other than the mention of extreme problem in threads that it was mentioned in. Those didn't get into detail and since I do native fish which might bring in anything but far less likely I have not read up on the details of it at all.
Thanks again Ray. I will do that I think I was just in furious help me typing mode. lol I do plan on doing that after I finish this post.

Back to my New setup though.

I plan on adding in stone (not sure which type yet, hopefully something light weight. I also plan on have light thin drift would floating from the top with some wysteria attached and having floating duck weed or another type of floating plant.

As far as a substrate. I have organic miracle grow I plan on mineralizing when I get closer to set up. Im going to be adding Amaco Mexican clay underneath and attach miracle gro sticks on top of the clay. I also plan on using osmocote pellets and add these 3 ferts::

KNO3- Potassium Nitrate
KH2PO4 - Monopotassium Phosphate
K2SO4 - Potassium Sulfate.

If anyone else has Ideas speak up. I want this to be a thriving planted tank experienced opinions !! I cant wait to get started on this project either !!

I was going to try and add a sand waterfall in the right hand back corner of the tank as well. This would be a perfect setting for an underwater jungle !

Can't wait to hear from everyone !
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have gotten one order of crushed lava rock directly from that co. and was satisfied/w my order. They have a pop up "sub. needed" calculator that comes up when you clic on any particular sub type. Seems like a fairly good but slightly pricey chance to take.
Colored subs seem to loose intensity of color over time and I see no real reason to
give 100% trust in any till tried.
My issue/w the sub. that I bought is minimal and not their fault. I just got the "I want that" bug at the time. May still use, but may also just mix/w the intended sub. to add CEC to it. Intended purpose was as decco and not sub related exactly.
People do foam walls covered/w cement which eventually breaks of. I am thinking of using the find grade lava rock instead.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I have gotten one order of crushed lava rock directly from that co. and was satisfied/w my order. They have a pop up "sub. needed" calculator that comes up when you clic on any particular sub type. Seems like a fairly good but slightly pricey chance to take.
Colored subs seem to loose intensity of color over time and I see no real reason to
give 100% trust in any till tried.
My issue/w the sub. that I bought is minimal and not their fault. I just got the "I want that" bug at the time. May still use, but may also just mix/w the intended sub. to add CEC to it. Intended purpose was as decco and not sub related exactly.
People do foam walls covered/w cement which eventually breaks of. I am thinking of using the find grade lava rock instead.

I love the I want that bug ... sometimes ... I usually end up regretting it after I find out there is the newer better version and I end up @#$%!# myself lol

What does CEC mean ?

Ya Thats what it will be for me On the left side of my tank I want to make a mountain type of structure with plants growing in it and underneath there is going to be 3 small valleys going underneath. That will lead to where Im going to hide my knife fish in his cave. He'll then be able to choose three options of where he wants to esccape!

Ya I've seen that too but it looks a bit trashy to me and non-natural. Sort of like the train museums I have a lot still to draw and scape with as well as research with this damn new disease I've been dealing with. Defenetily dont want that in my new setup.

The guys on the fish side though seem to be pretty knowledgeable though. Thank GOD !!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't know the proper name of it but the ones/w the cement backgrounds above the water line and covered/w plants sometimes look great. It's those which try to make it look like a rock wall under the water line that just don't look natural because no one seems to
imitate the rock well and or true to nature. That's the part that I'm working on.
May trash the idea...or...we'll see.
Still looking forward to the pictures of yours...

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsherwood View Post
Tractor Supply Store!

This I what I was going to recommend. Much cheaper than most then just get some root tabs for the plants.

40g Breeder "High-tech" tank
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

First I don't know what CEC actually is written out, but it's a scale of how much if at all any sub will absorb nutrients from the water when you first put them in and they are
high and after a while as they go down in the tank they will release them back into the water. Of no importance to those using EI ferts which are dosed three times a week.
May help plants in other cases by keeping the fert levels more consistent.
But had a thought about fish. I used to have a couple of black mollies in my tank.
In a dark theme tank they would hide at times but when you are watching the tank
and one suddenly appears as if from no where it's a weird kind of thing that's nicely odd.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you are going with a sand waterfall, definitely go with heavy blasting sand. Finer sand will float around your tank endlessly. Blasting sand should sink quickly. I pay right at $8 for 50 lbs of black diamond.
Raymond S. and Raymond S. like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Don't know the proper name of it but the ones/w the cement backgrounds above the water line and covered/w plants sometimes look great. It's those which try to make it look like a rock wall under the water line that just don't look natural because no one seems to
imitate the rock well and or true to nature. That's the part that I'm working on.
May trash the idea...or...we'll see.
Still looking forward to the pictures of yours...
Ya the ones that look good though to me are usually the higher arched ones. They add a nice depth to the tank and if the are coming out of the water on an open tank than a tall guy like myself will enjoy much more

Quote:
First I don't know what CEC actually is written out, but it's a scale of how much if at all any sub will absorb nutrients from the water when you first put them in and they are
high and after a while as they go down in the tank they will release them back into the water. Of no importance to those using EI ferts which are dosed three times a week.
May help plants in other cases by keeping the fert levels more consistent.
But had a thought about fish. I used to have a couple of black mollies in my tank.
In a dark theme tank they would hide at times but when you are watching the tank
and one suddenly appears as if from no where it's a weird kind of thing that's nicely odd.
"cation exchange capacity. It refers to the ability of a substrate to make available to the roots of plants those micronutrients plants need for life and good growth. For example Iron. Not all iron is the same, for example simply putting a rusty nail in your aquarium won't do the trick. The iron must be in a soluble form that can be loosely held by the substrate so the plant can use it." Quote by Klaus07 (I gotta look into this)

The knifefish is almost the same and loves to be to himself. Considering the tank is directly in front of my bed I'll have front row seats to this action and hope to make it as exciting as I can.

EI ferts ? is that some sort of diy fertilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAXpress View Post
This I what I was going to recommend. Much cheaper than most then just get some root tabs for the plants.
Ya I suppose I'll try this stuff out than. Your the second person to +1 it so since the price is right its on !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
If you are going with a sand waterfall, definitely go with heavy blasting sand. Finer sand will float around your tank endlessly. Blasting sand should sink quickly. I pay right at $8 for 50 lbs of black diamond.
Yep another +1 on the subject .. sweet.. I think I've made my decision about part of the substrate.

Now 1 big Question I have. Since I'm using Organic potting soil as a bottom I was curious about gravel vacuuming. As well as withe sand

Has anyone ever dealt with that once the tank is established and you start doing routine maitnance on it ?

Thanks for all the feedback guys
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

EI is a safe saturation level of ferts, by a formula of course, that insures that all nutrients are available at all times for your plants, but is still a starting point as certain plants use more of certain nutrients than most other plants do. You still might have to adjust the formula to compensate for this till correct. But it usually is dosed every day of the Mon. through Sat. in equal doses to spread it throughout the week.
It is such a high level that 50% weekly water changes are REQUIRED/w it to stop build up of possible unused nutrients.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You don't really vacuum sand. You just sweep the vac over the surface and pick up some particles that are on top. Not anything like gravel vacuuming. Also, keep your soil a good distance from that sand fall. That's the last thing you want mixing around. It will color your water quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode