Aquatic Fundamentals 75/90 stand,spike $170 to $220 in 1 day. That is $50(around 30%) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquatic Fundamentals 75/90 stand,spike $170 to $220 in 1 day. That is $50(around 30%)

This is kind of unsettling.

I purchased a Aquatic Fundamentals 75/90 stand which had a list price of $170 a few days ago.

Today I check and its $220 list price.

I am talking about list price not any price after coupon, discounts,etc... Just list price.

Perhaps wallstreet hedge fund managers are taking a run at the aquarium stand industry or maybe a wild fire hit the forest that supplies the wood for these aquariums?

I must say that I'm shocked. Anyone have friends in the Aquarium stand industry that might know the inside track on why the spike in price overnight?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Could have been a minor online error? I recall many stores running into errors with online price computing that is fixed on the fly. That's just a random hunch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Then you may also be basing the question on a lie we are taught. Every day we are taught a theory that I don't see in real life. Does any business really price things on what it costs them to get it?
When I drop excess fish off at a shop I don't see them giving them away!
Prices are set by what the item can bring, not by what it costs to get it. The price of the stand may jump for the same reason medicines spike, Just because the seller feels he can get a higher price.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Then you may also be basing the question on a lie we are taught. Every day we are taught a theory that I don't see in real life. Does any business really price things on what it costs them to get it?
When I drop excess fish off at a shop I don't see them giving them away!
Prices are set by what the item can bring, not by what it costs to get it. The price of the stand may jump for the same reason medicines spike, Just because the seller feels he can get a higher price.
Prices and costs tend to operate independently. I all depends upon the firms marketing strategy and what the current inventory supply is. Prices can change rapidly as the situation evolves. Economist have all sorts of complex theories to try to explain this. It's great reading to fall asleep by. Most of the theorist have no practical experience. They tend to get a bit out in the ether

Aquarium stands are not a high volume sales item (I've bought one in 30 years). So the manufactures generally price to have a higher margin on each item. The inventory also tends to stick around for a long time without being sold. Sometimes they have to firesale some items cheaper until their inventory levels are better. Then when they have a more sustainable level they push the price up to maximize revenue.

It also could be that fish setups are popular gifts during the holidays. They could have increased the price in anticipation and/or to give them the ability to do a "Sale" later on with a 20% DISCOUNT!

If you've ever been involved in the process of setting prices, you'll know that most of the time it's done by a gut feeling not any real data. Most of the data you get is an assumption based upon an assumption which is based upon another assumption which is based upon a pure guess.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Many ways the prices may get set. One of my early jobs was retail at a big box store. One of their ways to get something to move was to add more stickers. First was the "normal" price with a "reduced" price stuck on top which was lower than the first. But the truth was that both prices were higher than the going price of that item. People just loved to buy those bargains!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode