African Dwarf Frogs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
African Dwarf Frogs?

Does anyone have African Dwarf Frogs?

Can you feed them pellets and can you have eco-complete substrate on the bottom?

Do they eat smaller fish/ shrimp?

According to them, everything eats flakes and everything is fine.

I saw one at the pet store and it look kind of cool but it seem more of a reptile then a fish. I'm not sure if they would increase or decrease the ambiance of the planted aquarium.

I can't rely on the pet store employee to tell me the truth since they will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale.

Thanks.

Last edited by miogpsrocks; 10-13-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have heard that they are quite stupid, they get caught in a filter strainer and drown for god's sake. And they are sensitive to meds
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 04:25 AM
Algae Grower

In nature they're carnivores so they will they need freeze dried or frozen brine shrimp, tubifex and blood worms.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've kept mine on eco-complete.

Mine won't eat pellets. They only take live black worms, frozen blood worms, and chopped up earthworms. I wouldn't put them in with anything that is small enough to fit in their mouth. They are not naturally aggressive....just not the brightest bulbs in the box and are always hungry(not a great combo). I love them though and think they're pretty cute. It's fun to see how they interact in big groups of 6+.

And yes I have had one get stuck in the filter strainer. He died😢

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, I did not know they need live food. Unless I can figure out a way to feed then with an automatic feeder, they may not be the right animal for my aquariums. They are kind of cool looking.

Last edited by miogpsrocks; 10-13-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had one in my 10 gallon with very placid fish -- rice fish, sparkling gouramis. They are very cool and do add an extra dimension to a community tank, but they are dumb as heck. They will let food fall right past their noses. They have terrible eyesight. I targeted fed mine with a turkey baster, and it still seemed to miss a lot of food.

Mine actually ate pretty well and did fine with fish, but I do believe that they would do best with no fish companions, who tend to quickly gobble up the food before the frog gets to it. Mine ate frozen blood worms and brine shrimp like a champ. It did not need live foods.

Mine did not harm my fish, but it did tend to snap at anything near it during feeding time.

Fun creatures, but give them a dedicated tank and expect to do some targeted feeding, even in a fish-less setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode