low tech to high tech, need a little help
I am hoping I can get some feedback on my tank that was recently converted from low tech to high tech. I am looking for opinions on new settings to compensate for the addition of CO2.
Tank has been up and running for over a year.
For the past week I have gathered some new plants, removed the few plants left that were affected by BBA, cleaned the filter and vacuumed the substrate.
Last night I planted, rescaped (if you can call it a scape LOL) and setup the CO2.
Here are the specs, some parameters are as I had them in the low tech setup, i.e. photo period and light intensity etc.
TANK: 17.1 gallon Mr Aqua.
DIMENSIONS: 23.6" x 11.8" x 14.2"
LIGHTING: 12" Current Sat + Pro light
Photo period: 8 hours. 1pm-9pm. I tried to have it come on so I can see the tank with the lights on when I come home from work, thus the late ON time.
At full capacity, 100 strength on the dimming feature, it is listed at 100 par. I was told this is the best guess per some some members here, and possibly the manufacturer, I cant remember.
I have the dimming feature turned down to about 32 par (32 strength on dimming feature).
Light is about 11" from the substrate.
DOSING: EI dosing once a week. 1/4 tsp K2SO4, 1/8 tsp KH2PO4. My Nitrates are always high so I do not dose KNO3. (I assume I have all this correct, I followed a members suggestion. Maybe I read his info incorrectly, but that is what I deduced from it per the dosing specs) I never noticed any uptake of my nitrates, they always hovered between 40-60ppm. I cant remember what the goal PPM for phosphates is supposed to be when I dose. i wrote it down and was always within the limits outlined by the member. (very helpful person)
FILTER: Marineland Magnum 250 external.
POWERHEAD: Hydor Nano 250
HARDSCAPE: Black lava rocks.
FISH: 2 Neon Tetras, 2 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Otoss, 2 Nerites. (more fish to be added later)
50 % water changes every 2 weeks. I was doing 50% twice per week when I was battling diatoms and green hair algae and green dust algae. BBA was a losing battle and finally choked out most of my efforts.
Phosphates: (have not tested in a while since stripping tank due to BBA) Past tests showed 1-2ppm
KH: 250ppm (14dkh)
GH: 430ppm (24 dkh)
Tank Temp: 75-80 F
PLANTS: Monte Carlo, S Repens, Blyxa Japonica, Limnophila Aromatica (arriving Tuesday), Anacharis (floated as temp plant), Fissidens Fontanus (to be added later possibly grown emersed on lava rock). I also have some anubias petite I can add that are quarantined and recovering very well from BBA.
My questions are the following.
1. Is my 8 hr photo period correct? I have the CO2 to come on at 12pm and turn off at 8pm.
2. Should I increase my PAR setting to account for the addition of CO2?
3. My BPS is set at 2 and my drop checker changed from blue to greenish blue last night. Fish looked like they were ok, so I assume I am not dosing too much.
4. I have the filter in-take, powerhead and bubble counter on the right. Output and diffuser on the left. Does that sound optimal?
5. I am unsure of the EI dosing and the water change frequency. I am not fully sure of the specifics and probably need to read up on this and revamp what I have been doing in the low tech setup. There is a lot of info to sift through and it's not always clear.
I think thats it for now. I cant think of anything else. Thanks for the help and feel free to address anything I may have missed.
Tank shot to come shortly.