planting in deep tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
planting in deep tank

I have a 150 gallon fresh water tank. It's very deep and impossible to plant live plants. I purchased two three foot long spoons, thinking this would help. I've tried holding the plant down with one and covering the roots with the other. That's almost impossible to do .

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

How deep is "very deep"? If it's something like 24" you may be able to use long forceps. If it's something lke 36" you may need to make you own planting sticks or something.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Planting a Deep Tank

Hello joan...

Simple answer. Go with low light, bottom plants that don't require planting into the bottom material. There are several spieces of Anubias and Java fern that can be attached to something porous like lava rock and driftwood. I used cotton sewing thread to attach the root system and just laid the plant on top of the pea gravel or whatever you use to cover the bottom of the tank.

You can use floating plants like Anacharis, Pennywort or Hornwort. Just drop individual stems of these plants on top of the water. They grow just floating close to the light source.

Pretty easy.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I use a step stool so I can lean into the tank, do most of my planting during a water change when water level is low and have several sizes of tweezers and forceps for planting. I cannot plant anything without forceps/tweezers! Hold the bottom of the stems or roots with tool at about a 45* angle, pull tip into substrate, release, pull tips of tool apart and slowly back out of the substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
How deep is deep? That is the question. You probably need a step ladder and long tweezers. Something like 18" tweezers can be found online. I have 12" SS tweezers and they are beyond useful. Same can be said about the scissors I have too.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't have a tank which is more than 2 feet deep but I have one which is 3 feet wide and also 2 feet deep that poses a similar problem. I took to using a 10 inch long right-angled artery forceps to help me plant stems. Even with that forceps, I would get wet unless I reduced the level of the water.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Solution: give me the 150...lol

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had that tank it's 30" high and I had on a high stand. It just sucked to take care of. It was neat to see jungle val grow up to the top.

For me I had a nice sturdy step ladder and even with my head in the tank could barely reach the back of the tank. Nothing but a long reach will help. I bought dowel rods and extended the handles on scraper and other tools. If it becomes to much of pain your maintenance will suffer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
...I would get wet unless I reduced the level of the water.
This has been true of every tank I've owned. I just accept that my forearm will get wet and bring a towel when I do planting.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode